TX - Chisos Basin in Big Bend NP

Discussion in 'National Parks, Forests and ACOE Campgrounds' started by chopath, Sep 10, 2011.

1. chopath

chopath New Member

Feb 7, 2011
    Thinking about trying get reservations in the Chisos Basin Campground in Big Bend NP for Spring Break. Has anyone towed their PUP up there with a minivan? Was not clear if the 20' recommendation was just for the trailer or for both the trailer and the TV? Is the 15% grade too much for a minivan?

Just wanted to hear any of your experiences and recommendations!

2. wapwap

wapwap New Member

Aug 15, 2011
    I was there about 8 years ago and it was a nice place. I can't say much about using a PUP there because I was in college and we tented. The site we had would have been fine for a PUP though. I think it might have been 51 or 52 , maybe 54. There were a couple of PUPs there on other sites, but I can't remember what TVs. We went in a big 15 passenger van full of college students (and beer! [CB]) and a Chevy S-10 carrying the gear. It was a research trip... Both the van full of people and the S-10 made the 15% grade just fine. I'll try to follow the directions (again) to add photos of the trip so you can see where we were. But I'm not making any promises because I haven't succeeded at that yet. [CP]

3. chopath

chopath New Member

Feb 7, 2011
    Thanks.
    I have been using google maps and checking the geotagged pictures for the campground and have seen pup's and hybrids in the sites. I also have called the park rangers and they indicated it should be fine. That is making me feel a little better!
    Would love to see the pics if you ever find them. Thanks