TX - Huntsville state park, swimming beach is a toilet

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Danielflading, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Danielflading

Danielflading New Member

We just returned from a camping trip to huntsville state park. The camp site was good the swimming was bad. There were peolpe letting there children use the swimming area as a bathroom and I not just for #1. The swimming area is basically a toilet bowl. We also saw people rinseing out dirty diapers in the swimming area. As we walked down the beach a lady leaving warned us about the objects in the water and we thought no way, but she was correct. some of theese things were adult sized also, my daughter and wife strayed into some and we quickly left the water and complained to the park attendant/police "Stewart" who told us it happens every weekend and to "enjoy our stay at the park" so we went to the front of the park to main check in/ranger station and told them about the problem and they were stunned and had no idea that this was going on and immedaitly called the park supervisor. The people behind us were also leaving the park because of this problem.
    we camp at this park alot because of the short drive, but not any more, we will not go back there.

All I can say is what a dump, literally.

2. blake

blake New Member

Hello, thanks for posting this info. I was planning a short trip there soon, but guess I'll stick to Brazos SP. You know, I saw the same "cleaning" activites in a like in Kansas a couple of weeks ago, it's a shame people do this where people are swimming.

3. alwayslookinup

alwayslookinup New Member

That is disgusting, It is a shame that people do not take more pride in not only their parks but also themselves. We used to camp there quite often as a child, I have many fond memories from there and at that time it was a very clean well kept park. I just hate to hear that it has deteriorated so much. We now live in Tennessee and have found new places to make memories, but it is still such a shame. [:!]

4. Lori3778

Lori3778 New Member

We've camped here on a holiday weekend and haven't seen this going on. Is it a new trend or something? With this recession are diapers so expensive that folks can't afford to change them? Maybe they're too lazy to walk the the restroom...man, I know it's hot!! Or, do they just have so little respect for the park and concern for other people they're sharing the swimming area with that they'd do this kind of thing? [:(!] Before I write off the park, I think I'd like to go there and see for myself if this is taking place as often as "Stewart" says. Why isn't he doing his job and putting a stop to it instead of shrugging and saying, "it goes on all the time." [?:~{]

5. Danielflading

Danielflading New Member

stewart did not seem to care thatthis was happening in the park, but I can assure you that the attendants at the ranger station were as disgusted as the rest of us were and they did take action or atleast they were calling the park supervisor about the problem. Stewart said that the water is tested either monthly and it is safe, but i can assure you that it is contaminated with human waste. The rest of the park was in great condition, camp sites clean, restrooms clean (from non use i suspect) and in general the park was nice, but do avoid the swimming beach and any fishing for food, release only in my opinion.

We are going to ratcliff lake state park in august and we pray we do not find the same thign there.

Happy camping y'all!

6. Poodle

Poodle New Member

ew, that's so nasty!

Good to know, thanks :)

7. Lori3778

Lori3778 New Member

Be sure to post your experience at Ratcliff Lake in August. I looked at staying there for Labor Day, but opted to try out San Augustine Park instead. One day I would like to go the Ratcliff Lake and check it out. :)

8. hannahsmom

hannahsmom New Member

PHEWWWWWWWW [EEK] [XX(] Thanks for all the warnings!!!!We love the State Parks and will mark this one off!!! [:(!]

9. lyz

lyz New Member

Wait a minute.......Huntsville SP is one of my most favorite parks. I have never ever seen this problem. I don't know Stewart, but I feel SURE that the rangers at the front desk would know if this was a constant problem. And don't you think that if Stewart was correct that the park would be vigilant about taking care of this issue??? That just makes no sense whatsoever.

We don't usually camp at Huntsville in the warmer months b/c we choose parks like Inks Lake, Guadalupe River SP, Pedernales....in summer, but we do camp at Hunstville SP at least twice in the Fall/early Spring months. I have never seen the park be anything but clean. At the time we have been to the beach area, it was very nice. Crowded, but nice.

Don't scratch Huntsville SP off your list. It's a beautiful park.

10. Danielflading

Danielflading New Member

It is happening, is it happening at the frequency that "stewart" said? We do not know, but it is happening and we witnessed it. There were other's leaving the park for the same reason and they also were complaining at the ranger station about this. Other campers warned us about this before we ever saw it. so i would say it was not a secret.

the park itself was beautifull and well kept like i stated earlier, but the swimming beach is a problem.

11. Red_Eared_Slider86

Red_Eared_Slider86 New Member

[:(O] EW!

I've only been to Huntsville SP once, and it felt too cramped for our taste. We brought our bikes to ride, but the road was too narrow and there were too many cars going up and down it, so bike riding didn't feel safe.

And now that I know it's become a cess pool, we definitely won't be returning!

12. TwistedElvis

TwistedElvis New Member

NASTY! [:(O]