Ugh, people-- A rant

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by MsMac, Aug 6, 2018.

1. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

We keep a membership there. We don't do the feeding, but I understand they get extra funds from it.

2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I don't think offering the ability to feed animals in a zoo results in not understanding that feeding wild animals is not acceptable. As a kid, I understood the difference between the two.

It's more that people think it's fun to do and don't care about the issues it creates outside of zoos.

HappyTraveler, WrkrBee and Orchid like this.
  3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

It's always comes back to money, despite the damage it does.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  4. Wakita46

Wakita46 Active Member

Normally, when a zoo sells food to give to the animals, it is healthy for them. People should not be feeding them junk food, however. On the other hand, bears could probably handle it. Most bears in North America are built to bulk up during the warm season to make it through the cold season.

5. WrkrBee

Sure, the food is ok/healthy for the animals. It still sends the wrong message to kids and (removed) adults, that it is ok to feed animals, wherever they are.

6. Toedtoes

I disagree. I got the opportunity to pet a cougar and play with a couple wolf pups at a wildlife rescue place once. Certainly didn't teach me the message that I could do so in the wild - it actually made me far more aware of what those animals were capable of doing and that should I meet one in the wild I should be very very careful.

Feeding animals in the zoo is a great way to get up and personal in a safe environment. That doesn't teach people that feeding the wildlife at a campground is OK. People feed wildlife in the wild because they simply don't care that it will create a long term problem - they are only there for a week.

The best way to teach our kids to respect wildlife is to practice what we preach. If you take the kid to the zoo and feed the animals, it's a perfect opportunity to explain the problems with feeding wildlife.

7. WrkrBee

Like a "Catch 22".

8. Toedtoes

No. More like teaching your kid that behaviors OK for outside aren't OK for inside. Or that eating cookies for breakfast at Grandma's house doesn't make it OK to do at home everyday.

Kids aren't dumb - they just need someone to take the time to explain.

9. WrkrBee

There's an adage that says "Actions speak louder than words". I'll drop this at that.

10. Toedtoes

Well as I disagree with your interpretation that feeding animals in a zoo teaches people to feed animals in the wild, I don't think that adage applies.

Maybe our water makes people smarter out here. [LOL]. But I don't see many people actively and purposely feeding wildlife. And those that have fed wildlife don't say "well they let us feed them at the zoo" when they explain why they did it.

Arlyn Aronson likes this.