Unable to Remove Ceiling Light Lenses to Replace Bulbs (Starcraft Starmaster 21)

Discussion in 'Lighting, Interior and Exterior' started by SoCalHusker, Apr 20, 2017 at 7:54 PM.

1. SoCalHusker

SoCalHusker New Member

Thursday
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Okay, this is my first post and I feel a little dumb asking this question... but I am honestly baffled. I have a 1984 Starcraft Starmaster 21, with interior lights mounted on the ceiling. I need to replace a bulb that has burned out... but I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to get the lens off the fixture so I can access the bulb. The roof (being so old) seems like it might rip if I push/pull/twist too hard, and the lens is hard, like glass, so I worry about "pinching" or "pulling" it and breaking it. The picture (and arrow) point at the type of fixture I am working with... small, square, with a sliding switch on the side.

Any help is MUCH appreciated! I look forward to being an active member of this community!

04-20-2017 4-46-23 PM.jpg

2. KWAZ

KWAZ New Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Things like this can be so frustrating! I'm not familiar with this light fixture, but would look around the perimeter of the lens for a small slot to carefully put a flathead screwdriver and pop it off. Good luck!

3. SoCalHusker

SoCalHusker New Member

Thursday
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Thanks for your encouragement, KWAZ. I am going to need it... and when I get home I will absolutely take a very close look around the edges of the lens one more time for a tab or space to fit in a screwdriver, etc. I have tried everything but need to be patient and not force things... if the roof or the light itself breaks, it will be tough to replace at this time.

4. Can you take a closer pic of the fixture?

Sometimes the lens is not flexible; in those cases the frame might flex to allow a hard lens to be removed. Plastic can get brittle with age, so I know you'll have to be careful. Instead of a metal screwdriver, something softer and wider like a plastic trim tool (automotive) or the handle of a plastic spork or knife might be a little safer to use to separate the two. Could be that the lens has been on so long it's stuck to the fixture, and working your way all around between the two with a trim tool might loosen things up.

SoCalHusker likes this.
  5. world traveler

world traveler Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I had a similar issue with ours - the whole thing looked like one piece until I found some youtube videos. Most likely there is some tab on one of the sides that you can insert a flat head. It's not very obvious.

SoCalHusker likes this.
  6. world traveler

world traveler Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Or might try squeezing from two sides so the lens pop out...

7. SoCalHusker

SoCalHusker New Member

Thursday
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Thank you for the reply, Fless! I will get a better picture this weekend and post it for follow-up... will add a few different angles, etc.

8. SoCalHusker

SoCalHusker New Member

Thursday
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Thanks so much for your reply... I have searched EVERYWHERE for info on these lights... ironically, my father had very similar lights in his camper shell, on his 82 Chevy way back then... but searching for "square camper lights" or "classic ceiling lights lens" etc. doesn't turn up anything regarding these 30+ year old lights. It's been frustrating but I also know that owning a 33 year old trailer requires patience. ;) I will try again with the gentle squeezing from both sides (since sliding is definitely not the answer) and see if anything budges...

9. JPBar

JPBar Active Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    SoCalHusker likes this.
  10. SoCalHusker

SoCalHusker New Member

Thursday
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Those look great and I absolutely will replace with those if the lens/fixture breaks... to be honest my bigger concern is ripping it right off the roof and making a bigger mess! Haha... but I guess if I do it gently enough, any holes I make COULD be covered by a new fixture I'd install. Options, options, decisions, decisions... Thanks for your reply!

11. JPBar

JPBar Active Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Once you get the lens off there are probably 2 small screws under the light reflector piece to hold fixture to ceiling. You got this, piece of cake. Might as well put LED bulbs in if you going to all that trouble.

SoCalHusker likes this.
  12. SoCalHusker

SoCalHusker New Member

Thursday
    Costa Mesa, CA
    That is one of the most frustrating parts... the lens is in great shape and I can see right through it... right through to the screws holding the fixture in place, just as you say! LOL... but the damn lens is built like a rock and getting that off is the challenge.

LED intrigues me, and I suppose if I end up removing the entire assembly that would make the most sense... save the battery more on those longer trips, etc.

13. Halford

Halford Active Member

If you break it, get the LED lamp... There are 3 level of brightness, choose the one you want.