Unforseen Camp Driveway

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by nineoaks2004, Oct 18, 2018.

1. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    10-9
    the hurricane is eminent, wind picking up quite a bit, I was at the pooter and felt a large thud, then the lights went out. I remarked that the dead pecan tree next door finally fell, it hadn't but a huge oak tree did. Power for 6 houses come from one pole and now the wiring (including telephone ) was under the felled tree. Luckily we have a free flowing well and needed water for the animals so I gathered all the hoses around the farm and we had enough hoses to fill the water tubs and the TT holding tank. I suspected (rather knew) that it would be awhile before we would have any form of communication,

10-10
    Rain, wind trees falling Michael finally made landfall between Panama City and Mexico beach, destroyed (actually leveled)most of the coastal communities. Lucky for us it turned east and we did not get the brunt of the storm, however there were trees across the roads and all the above mentioned problems. I lost one complete horse stall and the top of a storage shed, plus lots of trees down and items strewn all over the farm, but overall compared to the coast and Mariana, (about 50 miles inland) which also caught the brunt of the storm.
    another thing that helped us was we were on the good side (if there was one)
    Anyway you get the idea of the mess we were in, and still are up to a point but it could have been worse. We shower in the TT, Pebbles and I sleep in it, We cook outside or in the TT and go thru 10 gallons of gas a day to keep the gennies going. Mary and Gypsy sleep in the house as she loves the sleep number king size bed. :)However there are many many more in worse shape.I cannot wear shoes as my feet were wet for so long that all my toes have blisters but i never wore shoes 65 years ago so I will get by. We are now waiting to get hooked up to elec. and I can get back to work around the farm cleaning up. good news is there will be no shortage of firewood for several years and living in the country we all pull together and help each other. It is the 18th and still no electricity but some areas are not expecting it until late Nov.

hq308, Orchid, Toedtoes and 1 other person like this.
  2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Glad to hear you are OK.

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    Thank you for sharing your experience. Seeing quick snaps on the tv doesn't give the true perspective of how these hurricanes affect the individuals who weren't totally destroyed, but still have a huge ordeal.

Glad you're OK too!