USFS maps

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by gladecreekwy, Nov 8, 2018.

1. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    https://www.fs.fed.us/ivm
    Don’t know where I saw this link. Apologies if it was on this site. It’s an interactive map to USFS campgrounds. Very handy to find booddocking type sites. Lots of info.

KamperKel, BillyMc, Overland and 3 others like this.
  2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks for posting that, I hadn't seen that link before. We do a lot of our camping in the USFS campgrounds.

3. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    Interesting, and a good overview of the NF land. Though, I wonder how useful it would be when riding around the NF out of internet range. For our money, there's nothing like paper maps. [:D]

4. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We use actual maps when we're out and around, but this looks like it will be helpful as we plan trips.

Overland likes this.
  5. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    Oh for sure. I was just thinking about people toodling around trying to find boondocking sites, thinking that this would be the only resource they need to have with them. :smiley:

6. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    Paper maps are the only way to explore national forest. People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on the Weather channel. Some survive others do not.

kcsa75 and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  7. gladecreekwy

Sep 25, 2016
    Wasn’t really making a judgment on maps vs GPS. Just a cool site for trip planning. Lots of info. As far as paper maps and GPS I use both.

Byrd_Huntr likes this.
  8. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Active Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Houghton MI
    We use paper maps from the NFS and other groups who offer them. We've been in groups who proudly state "we can't get lost, I've got a garmin X,Y,Z model" A few hours later we were lost.....

kcsa75 and NMroamer like this.
  9. Overland

Overland Active Member

May 1, 2013
    Bristol, Pa
    As do I. I remember the old days of thumbing through a Gazateer to find that type of info. Thanks for sharing..

Byrd_Huntr likes this.
  10. Fless

Fless Active Member

In the olden days.... as one of six siblings I used to read the paper maps while we were on long family trips in the Ford Country Sedan. I'd announce how many miles to the next town or intersection, and it kept me nice and busy for a while. And I learned how to read a map.
    _

kcsa75 likes this.
  11. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I learned to read road maps so young that I don't remember being taught how to do so. I assume it was yet another thing my folks did, and I learned it along with learning to read books, the paper, etc. Topo maps were part of science classes in junior high school, and geology in college, so when I moved West and began to hike, again, it was not a new language. We do use a GPS for hiking, but they certainly don't replace maps. I use maps, guide books, and information gleaned from the web, such as the USFS site under discussion, to form a picture in my head of where I'm going. One thing I've noticed through the years is that I also form a map in my head of an area, based on driving or hiking it. I'm sometimes surprised to refer to a map and find that things are closer than I think, or oriented slightly differently than I expect.

kcsa75, Fless and bearman512 like this.
  12. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    I'm still doing that :)...

Overland likes this.
  13. gladecreekwy

Sep 25, 2016
    The thing about GPS is just like paper maps you need to know how to use it. What gets folks into trouble around here is they sometimes ignore the ground truth if it conflicts with the GPS. Paper maps are not always correct either, especially when it comes to roads, junctions etc. I’ve been using the phone app GPS Gaia for the past two years and I really like it. I can download maps at home and use it offline. Has worked well it some very remote areas of Wyoming and S Utah. Best $20 I’ve spent in a while.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018 at 9:59 AM