using pup as space for houseguests

Discussion in 'Camp Driveway' started by lucky13don, Oct 16, 2016.

1. lucky13don

lucky13don Member

Jul 13, 2016
    sf bay area
    so oldest son is home from tenn. brought his girlfriend and buddy. dont have enough room in house,so popped the pup,hooked up shore power and got some heat going and fridge chilling. [:D]theres light drizzly today,but its toasty in the pupanyone else used theyre pup as a guest house?.

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Oct 1, 2014
    I know it's not the same but I am remodeling a 19' TT to use for a winter cabin. It's at a friends home where we have room to work on it. He already has had a few folks sleep in it. Than last Thursday night the DW an I were invited over for the Thursday night football game on a outdoor tv screen by a bon fire. When the DW got sleepy she went in to nap. When the game ended I went in and joined her. So we were guests in our own camper [:D]

3. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Mar 11, 2010
    Yes we have many times over the years..

4. lucky13don

lucky13don Member

Jul 13, 2016
    sf bay area
    Just a update. Kids now are looking for pup when they get home.. [LOL].the light drizzle wasn't a issue,furnace kept them toasty.stayed dry inside and they are still sleeping. .

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Not as such. However, we use it as a guest house or hotel substitute for ourselves when we go visiting or traveling. I just got home from spending 10 nights perched in my MIL's yard. Years ago, we used the ground tent, but the pup and now TT mean we aren't limited to summer visits.

6. Ryanm

Ryanm New Member

Oct 13, 2012
    We've used it twice that way- once we had friends over who thought it was a neat idea. once was for the in-laws.

Once a friend actually borrowed it to use as a guest room.

7. pasobuff

pasobuff Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Upstate NY
    Yup, we sure have! My older brother, his son and a friend stayed in our old pop-up a couple years ago while visiting...best part was they didn't have to come in the house and wake us up when they got in during the middle of the night!!

We might be using our TT to house guests in a couple of weeks.....just hope the space heater is enough to keep it warm since we haven't checked out the furnace for functionality yet!!

8. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Central, IL
    We are doing similar this weekend at the BIL. They have a new baby now so one less room. My wifes folks will stay in the other guest room, so I said, if we have to sleep on air mattresses on the floor, why not in the pup. We won't be there othere than to sleep but that is ok. May just be our last trip out., we'll see.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5 using Tapatalk

9. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    I did it when my son graduated High School. In fact, I set it up IN the garage, which is heated. So, it was actually inside camping.

It worked well. The kids had a blast out there in the garage camping.

10. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

May 23, 2008
    SE Wisconsin
    Several times when my parents come to visit....only we give up our bedroom to them and we sleep in the pup.. :)

11. 98Roamer

98Roamer Member

Oct 5, 2012
    I had my teenage nephews stay with me last summer and we spent 7 days in the popup in our driveway. It was rather fun. They've only camped in a travel trailer.

12. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    I would take my popup to my uncle's farm when there's a family reunion. My family slept in it/

13. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Yeh, that's a good idea - especially I don't want to take care the blanktank in our camper- that maybe use by the guest for #2.

14. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Mar 7, 2012
    We used the HTT at my sister's when our father was in hospice at her house.

Allowed the brothers and sisters a place to work and sleep just outside the house.

15. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Active Member

Dec 9, 2013
    San Diego
    My son sleeps in ours when he's home from college. We downsized when 2 of the kids moved out and bough a tiny beach shack. Not a lot of room inside but we basically live outdoors anyway.

16. kudzu

kudzu Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Have taken mine to my parents' house when there was a family get together. It's not that there wasn't any space left inside. There was their off where someone could toss an air mattress on the floor or the sofa in the living room. But bringing my camper meant we all had our own bedroom. Since I've got an A-frame it looked like someone had plopped a wee house in my parents' yard. Gave several tours to curious neighbors. It was fun.

17. HalfAHippie

HalfAHippie New Member

Feb 19, 2017
    We live in a very small house and DH's stepmom comes to visit every summer for a week. The first year after ds was born and we lost our extra room, we put her on an air mattress in the living room and it was horrible for everyone. Nowhere to move or sit and I felt uncomfortable in my own house. I couldn't wait for her to leave. By the next summer we had our old pup and DH told her she had her own condo in the driveway. Now she is excited to come stay every summer in "the condo."

18. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Webster, NY
    Yep, dragged it up to the in-laws lake house last summer for my BILs burial, not a large lake house and lots of out-of-town guests, we stayed in the Pup though since it was the quiet place to be and had my own beer. Kids set up a tent in the yard, until it rained [LOL]

19. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Member

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    My son was home from college for the weekend in Oct. and brought a friend with him. We asked our guest if he would prefer to sleep on the couch or in our pup. He opted for the pup (bigger bed than the couch) even though it was chilly and damp, but with the space heater running it was very warm and cozy in there. My younger son likes to hang out in it with the dogs in the summer when we are working on it.

20. Dudman5703

Dudman5703 Jeep Guy

Apr 17, 2012
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I use it to be a house guest at friends of mine... In fact, my good buddy who has a yard (I don't) still has my '86 in his yard that I used last year when we planned a fire / a few drinks, so I didn't have to drive home. Much better than the floor or a love seat I think.

equest likes this.