Valance Redo

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by Lfamily, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Lfamily

Lfamily Active Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Siler City, NC
    I don't dislike the color scheme in our pup but truly hate the ruffled valances. Any ideas on taking out the ruffles and make them look more tailored? I can sew but haven't tackled this type of project before.

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
  3. Lfamily

Lfamily Active Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Siler City, NC
    Thanks for the link but everything on her site is ruffled. I may have found what I need on a bedskirt DIY site. They have the box pleat design I'm looking for.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I redone my valance with whole new fabric and just kept it straight, no ruffles and nothing fancy. Just measured, cut, hemmed and done. Ok, maybe not quite that easy.:) For mine I had to use the existing clips from my old valance. So had to cut the upper strip off and sowed it on my new valance. I also had to add velcro to the corners of the valance to enable it to lay flat mainly because there wasn't enough clips for the edges and it sagged more than I liked. I personally did each side separately to make it easier to manage and just used Velcro to keep everything together in the corners. Looks a whole lot better in my opinion. I had a lot of help, but trying to convince my mom I don't want ruffles, that was a chore.[;)].

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    If you don't like the looks of the valance, you can just leave it off, unless you want some decorative covering at the top.
    Our Coleman Cobalt didn't have valances, and I didn't add them when I made new curtains.

Orchid likes this.
  6. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    I got rid of our valance totally. As far as I was concerned they add nothing to the decor.

kitphantom likes this.
  7. Lfamily

Lfamily Active Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Siler City, NC
    To each their own. Didn't intend to start a valances/no valances discussion, just wanted to see if anyone had taken apart existing valances and made box pleats. I found what I think will work.

8. Lfamily

Lfamily Active Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Siler City, NC
    I was wrong about the popupprincess site and want to thank you for sending me there. I didn't find what I wanted for the valances but in the remodeling section I found our exact camper down to the layout and the cushion/curtain fabrics and got lots of great ideas for changing the look down the road. Much appreciated!

9. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I left my valance in place... I have several Electrical connections and other Electronics behind the valance curtains...

I even have a WILSON SLEEK docking CRADLE with external ANTENNA where my VERIZON 6620L JETPACK is located that provides internet connections for out Tablets and other devices when camping...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Google images

My VALANCE hides all of these items haha...

[​IMG]
    Google image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

10. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

20180714_181008.jpg I don't like ruffly valances either. Always make mine straight.

megcabra likes this.
  11. Lfamily

Lfamily Active Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Siler City, NC
    Thanks, I tried the box pleat on a short section but it's not what I visualized so will try the straight one. BTW, love your bright colors!

Orchid likes this.