Van Suspension Enhancement for low back end

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by MyName, Feb 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    Hi,

I have a 2007 Toyota Sienna with a 2" hitch. When the vehicle is not loaded I sometimes scrape the bottom of the hitch on the ground when entering/exiting a driveway. When I load the van full of camping gear, passengers and a bike rack on the back it sinks down very low. I'm now worried that when I tow my pop up it will get worse. Any Suggestions on how to raise the back end?

Would this work?
    https://www.etrailer.com/susp-2006_Toyota_Sienna.htm

2. p

p Active Member

Jun 9, 2014
  3. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

This is a good video to watch to learn a bit about hauling weight.

Yak likes this.
  4. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    I used to use Timbren Suspension Enhancements on my old Caravan. They were about $150 to buy, and installed in about 1/2 hour at home in the driveway. They hold the back of the van up when they heavy weight tries to sag it down. They worked great for me.

durhamcamper likes this.
  5. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    I added the Airlift bags to our 2016 Sienna and it helped a lot, both while towing and just loaded down. It took just a couple hours to lift the van, squeeze the bags into the springs, and run the tubing. I put the valve stem on the wiring bracket. Please excuse the filthy car.

1BFEBD3D-35B1-43D0-A458-E36749FACC0D.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  6. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    @jnc. Thanks for the video. Lots of good information. I like the idea of the Weight Distribution system, but it looks like I will lose more clearance with it installed. My hitch looks similar to this. I emailed etrailer for to see if they have one.

@Rusty2192 Does you receiver hit the ground on some drive way? Mine does even when not loaded down. You have almost my exact set up. I put the 7 pole adapter upside down to get a little more clearance. And I just noticed you bolted it to you bumper also. I'll need to look at mine..

7. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Active Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Chicago suburbs
    My husband installed some very similar to these on our Grand Caravan. It took him and his dad a solid 4 hours of work, with lots of swearing and scraped knuckles. Would not recommend doing this, unless you have a lift and some professional type equipment to compress the springs.

On the upside, they work great and our van now rides level when loaded with kids, gear, and towing the PUP!

8. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Put the airbags. I use them and even with a WDH the airbags offer a lot of stability while driving and front end feel. the van shocks are rated for comfort and low weight.

9. jnc

You will likely need both the air bags & the WDH.

10. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    shocks do not hold the weight up, that's the springs job. shocks hold the wheels to the ground. they absorb bumps and such and push the wheels to the ground to improve ride quality and handling. even on full size trucks I can compress the shocks with my hands. use the air bags to level the when loaded without the pup. then use a weight distribution system for the pup. ones like https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Reese/66557.html are great for pups.

11. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    It has hit a few times when not loaded down, but it’s pretty rare. When towing it was more often, but the airbags solved that. The plug isn’t actually connected to the bumper, though I can see how it looks that way. I used this bracket that clamps to the hitch and pushed it up as high as I could against the bottom of the van to gain as much clearance as possible.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Curt/C57202.html

12. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
  13. megcabra

megcabra Active Member

Aug 12, 2015
    Chapel Hill, North Carolina
    We had the same issue with our 2011 Sienna and although the 2007 looks a bit different the suspension is identical to the 2011. We installed the following and although a bit pricier than the air bag version this version never needs any adjustment and has helped the ride and prevented the hitch from bottoming out. You do need to have the van on a lift as shown in the e-trailer video since the rear axle is lowered when unbolting the shocks to access the springs.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-TTORSEN04.html?hhyear=2007&hhmake=Toyota&hhmodel=Sienna

https://images.etrailer.com/static/...t-system-2006-toyota-sienna-ttorsen04_web.mp4

Best of luck!

E63AFD0C-6A4C-42ED-9A1E-E5460FF29AB1.jpeg FDC9266A-B442-452C-B69C-E8502BB9985C.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    MyName likes this.
  14. jnc

Just my [2C] here that job can be done without a lift. Ya its not as easy but I have replaced springs & shocks in the driveway.

megcabra likes this.
  15. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    @jnc. Yup I plan to fix it in my driveway with a friend.
    @megcabra. Great pics. I ordered/choose the Timbren mainly because they are low maintenance.

megcabra likes this.
  16. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Aug 8, 2013
    On bouncy terrain will the ride be harsh ? .i always wondered. i use airbags so i am just curious. my airbags were used. i did get a new hose kit from amazon and then scrapped the rust off,painted and installed a few years back.

17. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    I installed the Timbrens with the help of a friend. It only 2-3 hours. my main tip would be to have at least 2 floor jacks and jackstand. Also remove both shocks before you start. I wrote down the numbers before and after. Let me know if you guys want them and I'll look for my notebook.

megcabra likes this.
  18. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Active Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    I had this issue with a s10 blazer i had long ago. Used Gabriel HiJacker air shocks. Easy to instal. And using the schrader valve, add as much air as needed to level out the suspension. It will make the rear end more stiff, but a level suspension is worth it.

19. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Nov 14, 2012
    On my Mercury Monterey (Ford mini van) I installed Airlift bags and this is the second vehicle that I have installed helper air bags on. The install does take some time but is done with simple hand tools along with a normal floor jack and stands. I would recommend plumping the bags separately to help remove more the the minivan side to side wobble.

20. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    I used timbrens once and that was one time too many. Last few trucks and Hummer have been airbags. They do take longer to install than timbrens.