Viking 1982 Little Gasser(?) One bunk

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Boopie Nuovo, May 5, 2019.

1. Boopie Nuovo

Boopie Nuovo Member

Hi,
    I just purchased a Viking pop up that the guy said was a 1973 in his ad. Turns out it is a 1982 and I think it is a Little Gasser. It only has one pull out bunk and no sink or stove or anything like that.
    To open it you manually lift it and then place pins in the lifters to keep them from falling down. I neglected to take a photo before I started working on it but found one on a different thread.[​IMG]

My canvas is not quite so bad and I think just maybe I can fix it. There are no handles for lifting so I will have to find or make some.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Thanks!

1380ken likes this.
  2. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Good thing that isn't your canvas, Cool little camper.

3. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I really want to know what's behind the name "little gasser". Sounds like something my wife would call me after certain meals.

gladecreekwy likes this.
  4. Boopie Nuovo

Boopie Nuovo Member

Thanks for replying!
    Ken, I'm glad that's not my canvas, but mine is only marginally better in that I am not sure if I can repair it myself! I am going to contact a local guy who makes boat covers and see if he can do anything for me. It is pretty moldy, too! Ugh!

Fischer I don't know the origin of the little gasser name. My only guess is that because it is so light you didn't use much gas pulling it? But that seems pretty lame because I've seen the name also applied to the same model that has the standard two bunks.

I'm beginning to wonder if I have gotten off more than I can handle! Tried to take the roof off yesterday, but those support arms are meant to never come off and they won't! Ugh again!

Please note that when I say Ugh! I really mean something a bit stronger.

I am still looking for help with any knowledge anyone had about these and tips on restoration. Thanks!
    Betty

5. Boopie Nuovo

Boopie Nuovo Member

Hi again. I found out mine is a Mini Gasser SL, but still don't know the origin of the name. If I ever find out I will be sure to let you know. Must be less gas than the little gasser.

tfischer likes this.
  6. Overland

Overland Active Member

Hey Boopie.. feel like i'v said that before.. ;)

I'd like to see pics of your actual camper. Hope you follow through with saving it, i'm partial to the single slides as they fit well for those looking to get further from pavement.

7. Boopie Nuovo

Boopie Nuovo Member

I will post pics if you want to see it in it's current state...the canvas is off as I am trying to clean it. So all you will see is the frame... I did paint the bed of the slide out for the bunk yesterday. But today it's back to this incessant on and off rain so I have it covered. Am fixing the cabinets that need it now. You still want pics?

8. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Sure. I for one would love to see the "before" pictures.

9. Boopie Nuovo

Boopie Nuovo Member

Ok

Attached Files:

10. Boopie Nuovo

Boopie Nuovo Member

Pics

11. Boopie Nuovo

Boopie Nuovo Member

Trying to post pictures...not doing something right!

12. Overland

Overland Active Member

13. Boopie Nuovo

Boopie Nuovo Member

Yes, Thank you! I saw that!
    I figured out why I can't just get the roof off like a normal person. if I can upload a picture of the washer that was used maybe someone can tell me if there is a way to get it off besides cutting the bolts. The washer assembly has a bit that goes over the end of the bolt but the washer part itself digs into the wood. Besides that I just think they are so rusted together that I will never get them apart.

Attached Files:

14. Boopie Nuovo

Boopie Nuovo Member

Seems like pics are uploading ok today. Must have been my spotty connection yesterday. Notice the fan in this picture? It wasn't hot yesterday. It is May in Northern Vermont which means one thing - BLACK FLIES!!! I had to run the fan to keep from getting bitten to pieces, lol!

Attached Files:

15. Boopie Nuovo

Boopie Nuovo Member

Overland, do you still have your little pup? I don't mind taking two years to do this because we just sold our other pup and bought a hybrid so this won't interfere with our camping. But our camping will interfere with my working on this. :) After putting in all the work I am wondering if I will be able to part with it. I sent the canvas out to my son's mother-in-law who is a seamstress to see if there is anything she can do with it. I have my fingers cross that just maybe she can! Otherwise I see hours in the triple digits for me to fix it. Ugh!

16. the-one1

the-one1 New Member

That's a T-nut. Mine was rusted to the bolt too, hence why I had to cut the bolts off mine. You can get those at most hardware stores. Just get new t nuts and bolts.

Overland likes this.
  17. Overland

Overland Active Member

I do.. click the link in my signature at bottom of my postings.

I got lucky with a canvas, bought someone else's camper like mine who tore it apart, bought a new canvas and ended up buying another camper.

I'll never sell this, it was a father/son project that he'll use for camping trips out west when i'm gone.

18. Boopie Nuovo

Boopie Nuovo Member

Ha! I cut the bolts so the roof is now detached. I am so excited to have done this!
    Thank you to the-one 1. I had stopped by my local hardware store and they also identified the Tee nut. So, after my errands I came home and cut them off!
    Now I will be able to get more done after we get back from Maine next week.
    After working on the roof I will have to tackle the C&R support system which is in worse condition than I thought (like everything in this pup!).
    Oh well, always an adventure!