Vinyl plank flooring installation

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by BedHead, Apr 1, 2019.

1. BedHead

BedHead Member

I have been reading up on flooring since neither of us know the first thing about any of it. Here's what I think I have learned about redoing our floor with 'vinyl plank' flooring. Please let me know if this sounds right:
    - check under existing vinyl sheet flooring for water damage and repair if necessary
    - not necessary to remove existing flooring, can do vinyl plank over it
    - optional also to remove cabinets
    - vinyl plank flooring has no adhesive, it clicks together somehow
    - you need to leave a space around the perimeter for flexing (maybe 1/8"???)
    - it cuts very easily by scoring with a utility knife and then flexing it
    Now here's some questions:
    - if you have to leave a space around the edges do you finish that somehow?
    - is it better to remove the cabinets and do under them? It seems to me the flooring would be more stable somehow
    - pop up princess has a link that isn't working, does anyone have the link to the floor install there?

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Not suppose to put permanent stuff on the vinal planks, so its a no go under cabinites. The issue is the expantion , it will expand and contract with the weather. If it cant move freely, it will buckle and heave. You could finish off the edges by using quarter round moulding or just caulk it and be done. Its pretty easy to do.

3. Sjm9911

Oh , and if needing to cut it lengthwise, a pair of heavy duty metal shears helps to make good cuts. Just did my moms kitchen with the stuff.

4. BedHead

BedHead Member

Good info thanks!

5. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

You can put it under the cabinets, if you glue it down. If this is your forever floor, then maybe you want to consider doing that. Otherwise, I'd trim it around what's already on the existing floor, and use some quarter round or similar to finish it off.

6. mattlreese

mattlreese Active Member

This is what I did in last unit and it ended up looking very good. Plus removing pop up cabinets and not destroying them in the process is not as easy as you might think.

7. A+Tqwest12A

A+Tqwest12A New Member

Just purchased our first new to us pop up, a 2001 Jayco Qwest 12A. There is a layer of peel and stick tiles over the original sheet vinyl. Figured we need to remove the peel and stick before we can put down new wood look vinyl plank. Sounds like glue down installation for vinyl plank not the click kind is the way to go? We don't plan to take out cabinets.

8. BedHead

BedHead Member

OK so forget about removing the cabinets if we use this stuff. Is 1/8" enough of a gap or should it be wider?

9. Sjm9911

I would think thats fine, it says to leave more i belive, but you dont have a lot of floor , so if it expands it will not go that far.

BedHead likes this.
  10. arge

arge Member

1/8 would suffice and in my opinion you can leave the gap only at 2 sides, not all around as you don't glue it down, you don't have furniture or other heavy weights on top of it. You have to consider the surface, which is minimal, thus the expansion will be minimal.
    Now, these being said, I will say why vinyl planks? why hardwood on the floors? I have seen these for years going on as a prime choice for rv floorings
    The floors will be cold and personally, I hate cold flooring in the mornings. I prefer to use instead, interlocking foam pads, the ones that have carpet on top.
    Not that easy cleanup, but way better than vinyl as the comfort goes

BedHead likes this.
  11. Sjm9911

I think you answered your own question. Cleans easy and better then the allternative. It beats stick ums, glueing down the floor, or 1 peice linoleum.

12. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

I actually have carpet in my pup, and while it's nice to walk on on chilly mornings, it's a bear to keep clean. I plan to replace it with vinyl plank myself later this year, if my wife lets me.

BedHead likes this.
  13. BedHead

BedHead Member

I like the vinyl plank because of the ease of installation and the look. We’ve had Lino on our floor till now and don’t spend a lot of time inside when we camp, the coldness won’t bug us. I hate carpet, it holds dirt and is hard to clean.

14. Buckmaster81

Buckmaster81 Member

The stuff I looked at is 4mm thick and $1.49 a square foot but I’ve seen other stuff for $0.99 too. I figured my camper floor about 70 square feet so for a little over $100 it’s done and personally I think it’s the fastest, cheapest way to add an updated look. Even with the original cushions and curtains still in place. Besides, the off white vinyl from 2003 in mine would need an angle grinder to get the mashed in 15 years of dirt out of its pores.
    A small piece of carpet at the bunk ends or a runner down the middle would give the bare feet a warm welcome in the morning and it could easily be removed for vacuuming. That’s my plan at least.

15. arge

arge Member

Take look to the cork floorings too.
    It is easy to install, maintain, you get some insulation. A bit of both worlds.

16. littlebritches

littlebritches Member

What kind of caulk would you use?

17. Sjm9911

I was going to use silicon based caulk, but it might depend on the color of the floor. Some things might match better in a layex caulk. If caulking , try it somewhere first. For some its easy others a pita. I would tape off both sides of the edge , then caulk it, then run a wet finger over the caulk. Wait a bit and remove the tape. That makes it eaisier to do. Courter round will work also if you handy.

littlebritches likes this.
  18. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

19. Sjm9911

Thats not bad eaither!

littlebritches likes this.
  20. littlebritches

littlebritches Member

I'm REALLY NOT "handy" nor construction knowledgeable. Would it go over the planks or under? My thought would be over but I am not sure...