Virginia Pop-Ups Unite!

Discussion in 'Rallies Being Planned' started by XKPin, Nov 11, 2017.

1. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

. . .and everyone else interested.
    --My dream is to caravan on a camping trip for a significant adventure.
    --There seem to be a number of retired, retired-wanna-bees, and others living in the region fortunate enough to have some time on their hands who might also be seeking a new adventure.
    --I’m open to all ideas. I was hoping we could get together and meet. See if we’re gypsy compatible, maybe discuss a destination, ideas, possible dates, and eventually routes. Kinda do a 21st century wagon train. This is not to say camping is, or is not, restricted to Virginia, but could extend out west, up north or down south - whatever the group finds most desirable.
    --I usually travel with my Labrador (my wife’s made a fine nest at home - says she’s seen more than enough during our military career). I’m in my 60s but alive with the thrill of yet to be experienced adventure!
    --In my mind’s eye this is what I envision:
    1. Meet pup travelers with like minded travel ideals at an eatery.
    2. Meet & discuss a destination for an adventure. Daily travel distances, etc.
    3. Once a destination is identified, we’d meet at a Golden Coral (for instance) have breakfast and head out together, caravanning to the agreed upon destination or destinations. We’d follow a route agreed upon and meet others who might want to join us along the way.
    --What's up? Kayaking, exotic dinning, hiking, astronomical events, geology, site seeing, volcanos, fossils, wineries, national parks & forests, UFO sites, whatever!
    --I was wondering if anyone in Virginia (I’m in the Williamsburg area) would be interested in such an endeavor for 2018?
    --If so, please post your location with your comment and we’ll find common ground to pursue. Thanks!

2. benfrench

benfrench Woodbridge, VA

Not sure I would be able to make a trip next year as I am still financially recovering from my caravan out to Idaho this past summer, but I am up for the weekend warrior trips in VA. I live in Prince William County.

XKPin likes this.
  3. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

I used to host a va popup rally but gave it up when only having 5 people show up last couple years. Can do a weekend.

XKPin likes this.
  4. XKPin

Benfrench & Hvac1877: Thanks for the interest. Everyone gets so busy these days and schedules seem to conflict all too often. Let's see who else bites [DOG]. I do a lot of short and long Virginia trips too. I'll keep you updated. Maybe we can make something happen. . . . :)

5. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

I like the weekend warrior idea. My husband's travel schedule changes frequently making it a challenge to plan too far in advance. So, I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what develops.

6. RVAcampcouple

RVAcampcouple New Member

I'll subscribe! I work a rotating schedule of 24 hour shifts but every 3rd weekend I have a 5 day break (Thursday-Monday). My girlfriend's schedule changes as well but with enough notice she can usually match my breaks fairly well. She starts a new job in a few weeks but I'm assuming it won't be too different.

We're still very new to the game, had our first overnight "practice run" this past weekend and just about an hour ago booked our next trip, 2 nights at Oconeechee state park mid April. Love the little taste we've gotten so far!

XKPin likes this.
  7. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

How does Westmoreland State Park June 15 - 17 Sound?

8. XKPin

GREAT - but we'll be on the road to Yellowstone. Westmoreland is absolutely on my to-do list. I really want to find some Megalodon shark teeth at Fossil Beach. No other park I know about allows people to keep the fossils they find. I stopped there once but did not camp. Looks great.
    --I think I screwed up by starting this thread. I thought there would be a lot more people in our area who wanted to get together and start a local club.
    --Under the circumstances, watching the Rallies Planned Forum for camping would be better. Maybe setting up a Rally for Westmoreland under the other site might be best. Most people check those out.
    Thank you very much for participating though, I don't start many of these and it was nice to have some input:).

9. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Ah well, it was worth a shot.

Incidentally, we were at Chippokes Plantation State Park last weekend. One of the rangers there said that you could keep any of the sharks' teeth that you found there. You couldn't keep any of the other fossils, but you could keep the sharks' teeth.

Have a great trip!

XKPin likes this.
  10. XKPin

Thanks. I guess all the fuss is about irresponsible novices tearing up and absconding with everything. Still, I would feel that any recovered history is better than history lost forever to corrosion or erosion. For me, if I were allowed to explore more, I'd be thrilled just to have my 'find' in a museum and to see my name below the artifact as the retriever.

11. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I like the Westmoreland spot idea. That is just 25 miles from me from the King George area. MrsSquid lives close to here as well... B section has both Electric and non-electric camping spots and usually are not all that filled up. I guess the non electric spots is more then the Electric sites in numbers. Most of the Electric sites are close to the bathroom bldg. B section is not all that large so if we would all be scattered it wouldn't make that much difference.

I will be down that way soonest testing out my new battery bank for a three or four day/night stay haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    MrsSquid and XKPin like this.
  12. XKPin

Well maybe it might be a good way to meet some of the neighbors and check out some of that nifty equipment of yours. Think you'd like some company? MrsSquid? RVACampCouple? HVAC1877? Thoughts?

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    MrsSquid likes this.
  13. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

We're going! We're booked for the week, June 10 - 17 at Westmoreland State Park. Plans are to bring the nieces. Sorry you won't be able to make it XKPin. The truth is, we've been booked for that period for a couple of months now. I've been afraid to say anything because my husband's travel changes so much. Even now, things are fluid. But, my brother has reassured me that he can help me with towing, set up, and tear down if my husband's travel changes. I'm not nearly as confident as JMKay1, who is the boss of her Utah!

We'd love to meet fellow portal members who happen to show up that week. We'll probably try for Loop A though. The nieces like riding their bikes, and Loop A is paved.

If others select a different weekend, we'll try to make it too.

14. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I'm going to try and make it. It sounds like fun. Going to need to see if my niece can go too although she usually has a lot of stuff to do the closer summer comes. This place isn't too far off from home which helps.

MrsSquid likes this.
  15. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Yep, sometimes I think their schedules are busier than ours! : ) Hope it works out that you and your niece can make it.

16. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

wish we could but we have a trip the following weekend for my wife birthday weekend. Cant do back to back weekends.

MrsSquid likes this.
  17. RVAcampcouple

RVAcampcouple New Member

I work 2 out of every 3 weekends and that just happens to fall on one of my weekends off! However, we already have plans in VA beach on those days. I have heard of Westmoreland though and would love to hear the feedback after you go!

MrsSquid likes this.
  18. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Reservations are made. My niece will not be able to make it but I'm still going. Promised her I would take her out the following weekend though. So, two trips in a month, hot diggity dog!

PointyCamper and MrsSquid like this.