Wait? You have to take the whole pup down in order to put away the awning?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by ctwade, May 24, 2019.

1. ctwade

ctwade New Member

This may seem like a crazy question but from what I'm understanding so far, in order to put up the awning you have to do it while you're setting up the pup, and then if the wind picks up you have to take the pup down almost completely to put the awning away. Is this what you do? My pup is a Rockwood ESP, so it's jacked up higher than most.

Hope&Faith likes this.
  2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Can't speak for your camper, but I used coolers, stools and even the picnic table once during a bad storm. Essentially anything we can find. The awning can handle some wind, but there is a limit. I usually keep a sharp eye on the weather a simple Thunderstorm is usually no problem unless it becomes a severe storm. I agree it is a world class pain in you do have to put it up. Where I live though most storms this way aren't terrible so the awning can stay out as long as I'm watching it.

Fixitup and ctwade like this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

You could take along a small aluminum bench to stand on that can doubble as a table for a grill or an extra seat. Im tall enough to take down the awning, but i dont have one.

Fixitup and ctwade like this.
  4. bheff

bheff Active Member

I can do it with the top up. (Honestly I never even mess.with the awning. If a storm or high winds come, I dont want that pulling on the top while up.) But just use a small step ladder, stool or cooler. No need to drop the top all the way down. Worse case is take our your bed bows, lower the roof a tad the roll up the awning.

DianeCetan, Orchid and ctwade like this.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

I'm just tall enough to put the awning away without using a step tool but it's close. I'd find a rock, a stump or something else to stand on before carrying a step stool.

ctwade likes this.
  6. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I take a step ladder with me for this very reason.

Weather is a bear to deal with, even the so called experts can't get it right. Best to be ready for anything. Angle the awning, tie it down, have a step ladder, whatever it takes.

Take the the shepherds poles out, the door, and anything that would prevent you from lowering the roof. Bring it down until you can get the awning back into the bag and reverse.

And you thought this would be easy? [LOL]

HappyTraveler and ctwade like this.
  7. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

if you think yours is high - try a highwall popup. We were able to get it in a couple of times without lowering the roof - but it involved standing on the picnic table after pulling it up to the camper (if you can even do that, some campgrounds chain the table in place). It also involved two of us inside the camper, on the beds, reaching out through the unzippered wall to help roll from the ends and start the bag zipper because the awning is 12 foot long and the 6 foot picnic table only gets you so far. Must have been very entertaining to neighboring campers.....LOL (we just had so much stuff to take down in order to lower the roof like the hardsided bathroom which we used as a closet so it would have to be emptied before it could be lowered, the curtain rod shelf mod we had with all the crap we stored on the shelves, and then the tent supports)

and if you think that is funny - try to plug in the air conditioner into the roof after you are all set up and THEN realize you forgot to do that. Yep, again reaching out through the unzippered wall while standing on the inside counter while someone outside tries to direct you to the plug the you can't see.

ctwade likes this.
  8. ctwade

ctwade New Member

Haha! I convinced my husband it would be easy, now I'm determined to prove it to him. ;-)

9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I have a step stool in my FnR so the dog can use it to help him get on the bed (his back legs are going). So it's easy enough to use that if I need to close the awning quickly.

How much I'll use the awning is still unknown. Mine is at the back of the trailer (where the door is), rather than the side. So I might find it more useful. Most places I camp at don't have room to set out chairs, tables, etc., on the side of the camper.

ctwade likes this.
  10. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

My awning came unsewn the first time I deployed it. If I replace it, it'll probably be with one that has a case and a crank instead of a bag awning. They only cost about 5x as much...

ctwade likes this.
  11. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

Carry two plastic , folding stools in camper. We have a HW. No issues

ctwade likes this.
  12. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We never use our awning. Still don't see any point in it. We actually took it off and stored it in the shed. I do have a small two-step ladder that I use for getting in and out of the truck. I imagine it work with an awning. Less than $20 at Home Depot.

ctwade and Sjm9911 like this.
  13. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

When we traded our popup for a travel trailer we mentioned that awning had never been used.
    The salesmen said that they are rarely used on most popups

Orchid and ctwade like this.
  14. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

I've been lucky that when I've forgotten to plug in the A/C I was able to back the truck up to side and get in the bed to plug it in. I set up the awning once. That was a pain and one of the poles was already bent. I usually base camp out of the pup so my luck is I wouldn't be around and a crazy wind storm would blow through out of nowhere.

Orchid and ctwade like this.
  15. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

You could grow to 6'2"/188cm like me! Only problem is, I'm near that age where I expect to start shrinking.

ctwade likes this.
  16. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I'm trying to picture what everyone is talking about with the a/c. I've had a few different brands of pup, with a/c, but never one I had to plug into the unit on the roof. That would be something we would likely forget every single time. We are super good about raising the roof with random things on it ... cellphones, tools, drinks, the tool for the stabilizers, etc.

HappyTraveler and Sjm9911 like this.
  17. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Orchid, I saw that when I was looking at new ones. I don't know why they do it that way. I was happy to find a popup with a nice smooth A/C-less top, but it is also a top that I cannot see, even when the top is down.

18. Nancy Anne

Nancy Anne New Member

We had to get the awning down in a hurry and were able to use the entrance step and a small folding wooden 3 step stool. We now do not set it up unless we need it(about 50/50). We also have one of those pop up canopy from when we were still tent camping, did not bring it the first time out with the pup, now we use it more than the attached awning.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  19. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

That is lucky - I probably would have also done that IF i had a truck and IF the truck could get close. We have an SUV - so no bed to hop into. And with many of the campsites we use - a vehicle can not even get up to that side of the camper. So you do the best that you can with what you have and no matter what, have a great time out there. (and we made sure we never forgot the AC plug again LOL).

20. ctwade

ctwade New Member

Thanks everyone for your responses!