Wally World, here we come!

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by YellowCityGuy, Jun 13, 2018.

1. YellowCityGuy

YellowCityGuy New Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Yellow City
    We're planning a cross-country trip next year to Wally World Disney World! We're going to spend a week at Fort Wilderness with our crew (me, DW, 2 kids), my parents, and my sister's crew (sis, boyfriend, 2 kids). We'll be taking 2 popups, 2 TVs, and 1 extra car.

The part I'm having trouble even beginning to plan is the overnight stay(s) on the drives there and back. Should we just book a hotel and hope they have parking for both trailers/TVs, or should we look at booking a campsite somewhere? Any suggestions?

I've been looking at RV Parks/campgrounds near our route and around the halfway mark of the 1500mile (one-way!) drive, but I'm not really sure what to look for.

Orchid likes this.
  2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

That sounds like fun to travel as a 3 car convoy. You should get CB radio's for everyone. How many hours do you think the group can travel in a day? What the route your planning on taking? I think Motels are the way to go So you spend more time Driving or relaxing. I wound not want to be setting up at 8pm and braking camp at 8am. Specially with a Convoy.

YellowCityGuy likes this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    If you do the motel route, then be sure to call ahead. some motels could have small parking lots. Been to one, we couldn't fit our 15 passenger van(legally). Some others may have more than enough room. My dad once had to park the popup accross the street at a grocery store and walk to the motel after dropping us off. I agree though if you are driving a long distance in one shot, I would want a motel. If you knew you were getting off the road early I can see a campground. Sounds like a great trip. Save travels.

4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Welcome! There are a few of us on here who are Fort Wilderness regulars, myself included. @JHOP is actually there now.

Being financially challenged, and a cheapskate, I would personally vote to stop over at state parks since there are six adults to help set up. I would set up the bigger of the two units and make it work for the night for all ten people. Ours sleeps 7 (supposedly, we have had to be very creative lol) and we have spent a week at the beach with 9 comfortably.

However, normal people, that are SWIM (someone who isn't me) would probably opt to stay at motels since driving, in of itself, can be exhausting. That's just going to be a decision best made based on how many people are sharing the driving and how energetic (or not) you all are.

When we lived up north, we always drove down and stayed in a room. We were not smart enough to think of staying at Fort Wilderness. Having stayed at many of Disney's resorts, on all levels, value, moderate, and deluxe, the Fort is by far my favorite experience!

We only live 2 hours away now, so it's a no brainer. We are passholders and spend many weeks each year at the Fort. We also do lots of over-nighters in the other resort rooms. I can help you will all things related to Disney and Fort Wilderness, if you have any questions.

5. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    IMG_0495.JPG

eoleson1, Orchid and YellowCityGuy like this.
  6. YellowCityGuy

YellowCityGuy New Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Yellow City
    I'm sure I'll have lots of questions! At this point I'm thinking motel is there best bet.

I'll update as we plan and get closer to the trip.

Orchid likes this.
  7. YellowCityGuy

YellowCityGuy New Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Yellow City
    neighbormike likes this.
  8. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    If you chose the hotel route, I wouldn't be too worried about having a place to park the Pup. You may be at the far end of the parking lot or worse case across the street, but you should be able to find a spot at most places.

If you're a planner, you can decide in advance how far you want to drive and make reservations. When I'm traveling for pleasure (I travel a lot for work) I like to go until I'm ready to stop. If I'm driving, DW will check with my good friend Google to see what's up the road and then will call ahead to make sure there are rooms available and how much. Nothing worse than being worn out and not being able to find a room.

If you decide you want to set up the Pup for a night on the road, Good Sam has a good campground finder. You don't have to be a member.
    https://www.goodsam.com/campgrounds-rv-parks/

[:)C]

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I was planning g on the same trip for next year! To bad were coming from opposite directions! Have fun and I'll be checking in to see what u got planned!

10. Orchid

@YellowCityGuy - buy the best hitch locks money can buy for your overnights in hotels. I would probably put boots on my trailer tires as well, and lock logging chain around the axle.

Someone on here a couple years back had her pop-up stolen off of their vehicle in a hotel parking lot. Even though they had reported it stolen and it was registered to them the police did not hand it right back over and it turned into a whole Fiasco that ruin their vacation.

11. YellowCityGuy

YellowCityGuy New Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Yellow City
    @Orchid maybe I'll just sleep in the TV while everyone else is in the motel... Id hate for the PUP to disappear overnight.

12. jnc

To secure a trailer while in transit I would box it in near sometime solid like a fence or building and use the other cars too.

Orchid and YellowCityGuy like this.
  13. Orchid

I would just put some locks on it. And like @jnc said, try to box in the trailers. With a third car along, should be doable.

I tried to look for the story of the people that had one stolen and couldn't find it. It may have been on a Facebook group. They had unhitched their camper and parked it next to their car. Not a smart move, but maybe Hotel made them, due to parking situation. I can't remember.

I'm sure it will be fine to sleep in bed just take some precautions and knew that thieves target easy pickins at hotels.

14. GatorChamp44

GatorChamp44 Member

Mar 16, 2017
    I can't offer too much info on your trips to and from the Fort but I am happy to answer any and all questions about Fort Wilderness or Disney in general! Orchid can help a lot too. Ask me here or send me a message!

15. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Aug 8, 2013
    With such a long drive, you have think of starting a day taking down and then setting up eating into your drive time. If you could save a time and energy i would go hotel.
    Pick places that are off the highway and not in large towns. As i do alot of road trips on motorcycle i like this combo coupled with a place that has parking outside the door.

usually google is awesome at looking at places and parking lots .
    1500 is nutz...hahaha. i rather fly down in 3hrs and rent a RV for fort wilderness from quite a few RV rental places that rent for a week and drop and pickup at disney if i all i am doing is driving for 4 very very long days.

I know its a bit more expensive but going to disney is not cheap plus as i get old time has become more important than money.

16. YellowCityGuy

YellowCityGuy New Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Yellow City
    We've looked at flying, and flights alone are in the neighborhood of 10grand for the whole group. That's the problem living in the middle of the country. Anything really interesting is at LEAST a full day drive away.

We usually do cruises for our vacations, and even on those we drive from home to Galveston, which ends up being almost 12hrs one way (yup, Texas is that big). I figure if we do the motel thing, we can make it to the Fort with 3 days driving time one-way.

Our (very, very tentative) plan is this:
    • Leave on a Friday at 0darkThirty and drive as far as we can on day 1 (hopefully 600 miles+)
    • Get a motel and sleep for a few hours
    • Saturday, drive as far as we can (another 600+ miles)
    • Get a motel and sleep for a few hours
    • Sunday, finish driving into Fort Wilderness (200-300 more miles). Hopefully get there in the afternoon to set up and have a restful evening.
    • Mon-Wed: Disney
    • Thurs: Universal (DW really wants to do Harry Potter park)
    • Friday: Rest/relax at the Fort before driving home
    • Sat & Sun: Drive/Motel
    • Mon: Arrive home, rest before work/school on Tues
    How's that look to those of you who do these kind of big trips?

jnc and Orchid like this.
  17. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    A lot will be dependent on how many kids and how young they are. Which would attibute to how many bathroom breaks you will have to squeeze in. My dad found when traveling with kids he made better time during the night hours than during the day. During the day, we were stopping nearly every rest area. The yougest was 6 at the time and the smallest bladder ever and I was 13. Night time the kids slept in the car and not nearly as many breaks. Now if all the kids are adjusted to very long rides and able to hold it longer you will make better time than us.

18. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Do not take my comments negatively. Even though i live 1200 miles from it. There are local airlines that one can get to florida for less 100$ a person or 200 return. Wednesday night frontier special is 39 bucks but it a bench between 2 people. They get you will luggage and etc but when we travel we consolidate and take less luggage.

Universal is great- the speed pass is 70$ but worth it as you can do all the rides in a day. Me and WIfe signed up american express when we entered . they give you a card no matter what . each card got us 2 speed passes. so we got 4 for us and then it was tickets. tickets from AAA for universal for 700 for 4. Again , not cheap but we do it once every few years. So we wait a year and cancel those CC.

Disney you can book your tickets online and have fun. I wish i could move to FL as i work from home but damn kids and their friends.

Be flexiable with plans.Like moving the rest day to between days when you feel drained. some days the heat does get to you and you need some down time. Pick to do universal the coolest of days as you are travelling to a different park, stay there all day and then driving home. We left Disney at 7 and cameback at 8. then dropped our cars at disney rental too......long freaking day.

My wife wants to drive and i tell if we drive i am buying a house and staying. Her family is local and that is another reason i cannot move down.

19. JHOP

JHOP Active Member

Oct 6, 2017
    We came from NC for our trip to the fort. Great place. We stayed at a Hampton Inn on the way down because I have a million points and use those (travel for work). I don't like the idea of popping up for one night. So. Much. Work!!

Your trip sounds so fun, though! I hope you have a great time!

kcsa75, Orchid and YellowCityGuy like this.
  20. jnc

Driving 1500 miles in a convoy is an adventure. Dont let the nay sayer's stop you from taking the road trip. Flying is for people with more money than Time.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018