Wanted: free or extremely cheap pup

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by Barefoot311, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Barefoot311

Barefoot311 Member

Sep 22, 2011
    I am searching for a free or very cheap pop up in relatively good condition. Meaning my two year old son and wife would stay in it with me. I don't mind doing some work as I seem to have a lot of free time on my hands now.

Here's the story. Several years ago, my wife and I bought our first pop up camper. We were both relatively young (mid 20's) and were hard workers, both dedicated to our careers. She was a teacher and I was a police officer. Yes we both signed up for a lifetime of service at minimal pay, especially here in the great state of NC. Anyways, after several successful trips, we decided to take on an upgrade, a class c Motorhome that needed some pretty serious work. I have always been handy and love projects. Well this one got away from me. After a year went by, we were reaching an ending point and our camping was soon in sight again. As with most careers of service, I was unexpedely moved to another unit that required more time and attention than previous endeavors. One thing lead to another and we had to sell "The Beast".

As life went on over the next few years, my wife had some health issues that had to be addressed and money got shifted quickly to Dr bills. Than came out little bundle of joy! Our son, who is now 2, came into the world and graced us with a lifetime of smiles, laughs, tears and a lot of poopy diapers so far!

Shortly after our son was born, the pressure at work started becoming overwhelming. I was devolving fears that I never faced before and as a police officer, your fears can get you seriously hurt. I quickly became overwhelmed, trying to hide my anxiety, and soon to be my depression. The expectations of the unit I was in were unobtainable, and for a goal oriented individual like myself, I couldn't achieve them.

One day while sitting on the interstate as I had done for several years, I witnessed a fellow friend and brother stop a car right in front of me. Before my very eyes I watched as he nearly was struck by a driver who was not paying attention. The scene quickly became involved and before I knew it, I was in this persons car, which was now upside down, rendering CPR to a young man while his mother watched in horror. I will spare the rest of the details but unlike the other traffic crashes I worked, which were in the hundreds over my career, I couldn't shake this one. I was quickly overwhelmed in constant thoughts of that day. I saw there faces every where I went. I could tastes and feel everything as if I was still there. PTSD creeped up on me fast like a villain and took over. Before I knew it, I was being placed on leave and being sent to outpatient treatment. As the months went by, I wasn't getting better and was forced to retire from the career I held so dear to my heart.

I have spent years following this site, posting occasionally several years ago, reading and enjoying the posts from time to time. Now I am stuck in a position of needing some help and was hoping maybe someone on here could lend me a hand. Camping was always a form of therapy for me growing up. It was a place to escape to and an outlet for me to unwind and I feel I need that more than ever right now. With the events that have transpired not in our favor over the last couple of years, my budget to get back into camping is non existent. I am now on a fixed income with my wife being the sole provider for our home.

What do I do now, some may wonder? I have been blessed with the opportunity to be a stay at home dad to my very loving and joyful son.

So, sorry for the long post guys, and if you have made it this far, thanks for merely listening to my story. It has been a rough road the past few years and taking the opportunity to share it hasn't come easy. If anyone has or knows of someone who may be willing to give up an older popup, please shoot me a message.

Thanks and you guys are all the best! I love this group!

Jbayne567 likes this.
  2. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Hello Barefoot,
    Thanks for sharing your story! I do not have a pup to offer but wanted to wish you the best of luck. I hope one becomes available for you!

3. bropaul

bropaul New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Welcome back, Barefoot! I hope one of our wonderful Portal members will have a lead for you. In the meantime I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Thank you for your years of service in a very difficult job. Our nephew is a police officer and we are quite aware of the responsibilities and dangers of the job you love. Treasure the time you have with your young son, they grow up so very fast! Hopefully you will be able to get out camping soon and it will help you. As a senior citizen, I truly believe that being out in nature is the best medicine for the mind, body and soul.

Take care and God bless,
    Diane

4. Barefoot311

Barefoot311 Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Thank you both very much for the kind words and prayers. It's hard sometimes to admit your flaws but with a group like this, I felt more confident in my decision to tell my story. Prayers are greatly appreciated and mean more to me than anything right now.

As my journey continues, I pray that one day I can teach my son the values that I was taught when I camped as a kid.

Again thank you guys so much. Simply seeing the number of people who have read this thread makes me feel better about my situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. changingground

changingground New Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Hey, Barefoot! First let me thank you for your service and sacrifice. Even if you didn't finish your first career the way you expected, you gave a big part of you over to helping others. You can be proud of that.

I cannot help you in your search, all the way from Colorado, but if ever you head our way and want a tour, I'd be happy to oblige. There are some gems here you'd never find without local knowledge. Let me know when your ready. ;)

6. RDWRER

RDWRER Active Member

Jul 31, 2015
    My heart goes out to you more than you know. I can relate to your story on several levels. Keep looking for your PUP-it will show up. And I hope that when it does you will find it to be not only a source of stress relief, but of joy and peace with your family.

7. Barefoot311

Barefoot311 Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Changingground I was just in CO not that long ago visiting a close friend in the Centennial area. I wish my stay was longer than just a weekend but the sights were well worth the trip. I am trying to plan on going back at some point in the next year as funds become available. When I do, I will gladly give you a shout!

8. PinnMcrack

PinnMcrack Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Welcome from Raleigh

9. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Welcome back, barefoot!

Be sure to check Craigslist! Folks are always posting stuff for cheap/free and keep your eyes open for pups that have been sitting around in back yards. Often times, the owners never think of selling them until someone comes along and asks if they're for sale. Those are very often fantastic buys!

10. Barefoot311

Barefoot311 Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Pinn thanks! Hopefully some day we can meet up maybe on a camping trip. Dubbya I have been scouring craigslist. I haven't gone door to door yet but it's a good thought and I will start keeping my eyes open for that as an option!

11. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    Welcome back barefoot. Good luck with your search for a popup. I'm in NY so I won't be much help with the search but keep looking and you will find it. We were looking for a cheap popup and one day on a whim I saw one for $500. We went to look at it and bought it from a very nice family who had many camping outings in it. When we picked it up they told us that someone else had come to see it just after we did (we got there earlier) and offered them $1000 for it but because we had our two boys with us (they were all about getting a pop up ) they told him no, even though we had not given them any money for it yet. There are lots of good people in the world, we just never hear about them! Again good luck!

12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Thank you for your service. Though I am not fully able to relate to all your struggles I know how camping can become therapy for you. As when the stresses of life get to me I just HAVE to get out camping. I find that fall/winter, trailers will become much cheaper so you may have to wait until then. You also may have to look a little further out. Best of luck on your search.

13. kdonchak

kdonchak New Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Hello Barefoot311,

Although I don't have a camper solution for you - I do want to thank you for your service and applaud your courage to share your story. I am an Eco Art Therapist, and wanted you to know that I have some great tools that could help you connect with nature until you can find your camper. This is not a plug for business, rather a gift. I don't want to break any board rules by posting my website so shoot me a message and I will send you some great exercises to do - that are child friendly too.

Wishing you all the best -

Kathy

14. carolinacamper

carolinacamper Member

Jun 18, 2015
    Here is a site that auctions off insurance claims. Perhaps you may find something you can salvage. www.copart.com. Also, I hear advertisements on the radio from NPR stations about donating an old car or boat. Not sure how to find these donations but maybe some google searches will yield success.

15. Barefoot311

Barefoot311 Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Wow thank you all so much. Honestly when o posted this I didn't expect much response. Simply seeing you all respond means so much to me!

16. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Many years ago my aunt and uncle were selling their TT. A young couple with a few little kids came to look at it, agreed to buy it, my aunt and uncle gave it to them for free. It wasn't worth a ton of money, they just thought about the good times they had with their kids and decided to give it to this couple. You will find yours Barefoot!

17. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

Jun 24, 2014
    I suggest posting on "freecycle.org" it is a web site for people to "offer" and "want" items that are too good for the landfill. It is part of Yahoo groups so you will need to set up a free Yahoo email account. The sections are set up by location so there may be a group in your area.
    A couple years ago I had a running post for wanting a motorcycle project and got an 81 CB750 with title!

Good luck in your search.

18. Barefoot311

Barefoot311 Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Thank you guys for the auction and freecycle ideas. I have added them to my search list!

19. money pit

money pit What could be so bad??? We are camping!!!

Oct 5, 2014
    [:)C] If I was closer I would drop off a 1999 fleetwood in your driveway sir.....but WI to Asheville alone is a 15 hour drive. (our last vacation spot) but when you do find a a PUP and need parts or anything please post them and we all will see what we can send your way to get you back into camping!

20. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Wishing you the best of luck in your search for a free or extremely affordable popup!