Wanted: free or extremely cheap pup

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by Barefoot311, Jul 31, 2015.

1. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Mar 11, 2010
    I Have not had much time with selling our house, moving and building a campground.....o_O
    I started a thread hoping to get some ideas or leads and it didnt go very far...

2. Barefoot311

Barefoot311 Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Yes it is true, the saga does continue. Because of the good graces of several individuals in getting us this camper, I was able to help transform that energy in to hope, hope that lead me into a drive to once again succeed and focus on the future. My business took off and I am now fully focused on helping others enjoy the great outdoors as much as we do.

Last month, an opportunity presented itself to us to get a newer hybrid camper. I can only think that because of the deal we ran across, Pam was once again looking over us. I took the opportunity as a sign that it was time to move forward and offer this same good grace to someone else.

So, now the question comes of who? Something we have thought long and hard about. We have heard the many suggestions and I have listened (silently) to the many comments. We are still currently seeking the right individual. Maybe one with a similar situation and maybe not. Maybe one with a completely different set of challenges. But the bottom line is that this camper WILL be making a new journey to a new home soon!

Again, I can't say thank you enough to the many people to who helped us. Those that sent cards, messages, emails, helped in the travel legs of the camper, those that prayed for us, all of you will always hold a very special place in our hearts! For you all wholeheartedly aided in my survival and gave me that chance to come back as a stronger individual. With tears yet again in my eyes, I say thank you...

Lately, we will still be looking, searching, thinking, praying and hunting to find the right person, but once we do, the silence will be lifted and we will join another member into these good graces!

Orchid and jumpoff like this.
  3. yetavon

Mar 11, 2010
    Looking forward to the next chapter...

jumpoff likes this.
  4. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Durham, NC
    Congrats on your business success!

If I can be of any assistance in this next adventure just let me know :)

5. yetavon

Mar 11, 2010
    I'm dying with anticipation.....

6. Barefoot311

Barefoot311 Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Well folks we have some great news!!! We have located the PUPs new owner!

Through some research and heavy effort to locate the appropriate individual we have found someone suitable to take control of this camper. I was informed by some fellow retired LEO's that there was a younger gentlemen (a couple of years younger than me) that had moved from LA after Katrina. Although he wasn't in the direct impact, he still lost a lot and chose to leave the area. Since living here locally, this young man has made a mission out of hunting for the needy. Every year, John fulfills his hunting tags and donates all of the meat to local shelters and food pantrys.
    John was recognized last year for his efforts through a local police department and had been joined by several retired officers in his mission.
    Unfortunately John doesn't have much money himself and is unable to work full time because of a medical condition similar to mine. In the past, John has slept in his jeep or in a tent for days on end trying to fulfill orders for meat for the shelters that he is providing to. John has not received a dime for his efforts and yet still makes it his mission to carry on this work.
    Once I heard of this, I reached out to John telling him that I wanted to interview him for a story on his work (I know sneaky sneaky). I met with John on two occasions and even had him take me to his favorite hunting spot to see if this would be appropriate. Well guess what, John spent some time last year clearing an area on some land he received permission to hunt on to get his Jeep in and pitch his tent. I took some measurements and the area is the perfect size for the PUP.
    Yesterday, I had one final meeting with John. I took him out to lunch and made him two offers (yes two). First and foremost, John had expressed how much he loved working with his hands but because he could only work two to three hours a day, he was having a hard time finding anyone that would hire him. We took care of that request and John will now be working with us when he is able. Second, I asked John if he ever thought of getting a camper to stay in while he was hunting and he said "yea, I have dreamed of getting an old popup camper out here just to get me off the ground." I told him, "We are going to take care of that for you" and I showed him a picture of the PUP. At first John was skeptical and asked what the catch was. When I told him the real reason I reached out to him and that the only catch was that when he was able to get his own, we would rehome this unit once again to someone else for free, his eyes lit up with tears.
    John is a very kind hearted individual. One who gets along with anybody and one who does what he does because he knows it's right, not because of glory. So therefor, this up coming week, John will receive his new camper, along with some supplies that have been donated by several local groups and retired officers!
    Another happy ending here folks and we could not be more proud!!!!!

7. yetavon

Mar 11, 2010
    I know Pam would be very proud...and moved to tears...Please extend an Invite to him to Join us at the Sewer.
    I will make sure Craig gets this news.

Wild-Life, Dusty road, Orchid and 2 others like this.
  8. neighbormike

neighbormike Active Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    You guys are truly amazing! I don't know what else to say, but amazing....

9. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Durham, NC
    Incredible.

10. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Member

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    Glad to hear it went to another good home.

PATMD likes this.
  11. Boatnman

Boatnman Active Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    WOW!

Thank you Barefoot311 for your service and God bless you and your family. And thank you for continuing RotnMom's love and compassion.

PATMD likes this.