wanting to buy a 2018 aliner scout parks package

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Billperper, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Billperper

Billperper New Member

Jul 10, 2018
    want to know if a/c will keep unit nice and cold during our hot summer? thank you

2. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    There’s a pretty in depth review around these parts somewhere and specially the ac is mentioned

3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Depends where you intend to camp. Unless you live or will be camping in the South or Southwest, where the temps seem to be high more than 1/2 the year.

I personally think A/C can be more of a problem than it's worth. One thing is you'll always need to get a campsite with electric. So you have the added costs for an electric site. It's also one more thing to break or cause other issues like leaking. I'm a big guy and I sweat in a snow storm. But when I took a cross country trip during August, I just acclimated myself to the heat before hand by avoiding A/C everywhere I could. I do use bunkend fans to keep the air moving but otherwise, I did without.

Rik Peery likes this.
  4. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    Works well in our smaller Ranger 10, which is a tad shorter in height I think & 2' shorter in length, 5,000 BTU I believe...I'm w/ PopUpSteve, only reason I got ac was for the wife, prefer fans & acclimation as well as non electric sites, but so far so good, plus ours has the roof fan that blows in or out & 1 dormer for extra breeze...post this on the a frame section as well...

5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Active Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Without more information, like location, I would say no. I put a review on the 2018 Aliner Scout on the Portal. Let us know what you think. Maybe I expect too much.

http://www.popupportal.com/threads/aliner-2018-scout-review.118181/

Rik Peery likes this.
  6. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Streator, IL
    I would think it depends on a person's metabolism and personal preference for comfort. If you are going to spend that kind of crazy money for a new A Frame, you likely would not be terribly worried about the cost of any future maintenance or repair after the warrantee or the extra cost for an electric site. That takes us back to your original question of weather or not the AC would keep the camper cool enough.

7. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Active Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Georgia
    The Scout Parks Package Aliner is designed for those who will have shore power. It doesn't have LP tank and I'm not sure it has a battery.
    I think our larger Expedition has the same sized hang off the side wall air conditioner. It works fine for us in the deep south, but we mostly want the humidity out of the air.

8. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Active Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    The 2018 Aliner Scout has a battery, mainly for the break away brakes and some lighting. The AC has been moved from the wall mount to a position under the rear bunk. It's not a ideal relocation, by any means.

9. Billperper

Billperper New Member

Jul 10, 2018
    thanks for the information, we are only going to be camping at campgrounds where electricity is available , i am buying it because its same size as expedition but dont want propane fridge or stove, but we really just wanted to know that the a/c is large enough to cool down aliner in s.c. sun..

10. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Active Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Georgia
    The under the bunk AC would mean it has the cool cat heat pump. I haven't experienced one, but have heard they don't work in weather extremes as well as the window AC unit and the gas furnace.

11. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Active Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    I just came out of our 2018 Aliner Scout, working on a storage bench mod. While in there, I was looking at ways to relocate the air return vent to increase the efficiency. There is already a gap above the wheel well to allow air to return from the cabinet by the door. Brainstorming came up with adding a vent above the fire extinguisher by the door (and covering the existing vent), drilling holes in the fire extinguisher recess mount, or shimming out the fire extinguisher 1/4" to allow air to pass around the edge. I'll probably try shimming first, since it is reversible.

We have the Cool Cube 5000 which is AC only. It is mounted under the rear bunk.

12. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Active Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Georgia
    [QUOTE="WrkrBee, post: 1228293, member: 102545"...We have the Cool Cube 5000 which is AC only. It is mounted under the rear bunk.[/QUOTE]
    OK, I admit I'm not that familiar with them. I thought they were heat pumps. Thanks for the correction.