Water Heater -'96 Coleman Sun valley

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by Jml96sv, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Jml96sv

Jml96sv Member

Feb 19, 2017
    Hello,

I have a '96 Sun Valley that does not have a HWH. My FIL is upgrading from a 6 Gallon to a 10 Gallon in his TT. He will be giving me the old 6 Gallon which works. Can someone with a '96 or Similar Year Coleman Grand Tour Series tell me where the HWH goes. I know in the models with the front storage box, it is in there but I do not have the front storage box. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I dont know your floor plan but all you need to know is the heater needs to be located in between the propane supply and your plumbing.

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 12.29.44 PM.png Here's the floor plan... my best guess would be roadside hutch or even seat

4. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    Having installed a water heater in a camper without one, I would say your best bet is in the roadside hutch. You can while you do your cutting install a outside shower at the same time. The 6 gallon water heater will suck up a lot of space in the cabinet. The shower will not. You will also need to change out your faucet to a faucet that can accommodate hot and cold water.

This is a link to the thread where I discuss my install. I can't find the pictures I used to have there but I am looking for them.

Antipodes likes this.
  5. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Depends on what you are willing to sacrifice:
    1. under the galley sink, not the one you swing down but the drawer areas.
    2. under the seat where the storage is.
    3. where the furnace is (I never use furnace).

6. Jml96sv

Jml96sv Member

Feb 19, 2017
    Thank for the replies. I keep reading that coleman used a Std wiring harness but I canot find where a wire would be for my water pump (Purchased but not installed and for the HWH. Could those wires be behind the walls between the body panels? Also, would the holes be there for the plumbing and propane for the HWH?

7. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    The holes would not be there at all.

You can find the shop manuals for your pup at www.colemanpopupparts.com

8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Just run new wires, your model does even list a water heater option. Get a easy to see/use thermostat and install it in a handy location. As for wiring, 2 wires from the thermostat to the furnace and a ground and power to the furnace .... 4 wires total.

9. Jml96sv

Jml96sv Member

Feb 19, 2017
    Thanks. The Brochure lists a water heater as an option but the parts book does not show parts for my model so I was under the impression that it was an option until I looked closer at the parts book. Time to get creative

10. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
  11. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Stillwater, MN
    [​IMG]
    This is a 1997 Sun Valley setup. Roadside under the seat in front of the galley. If you get in a pinch on questions I can always go to the camper and look for you. I have been parting this one out for a few years.

12. Jml96sv

Jml96sv Member

Feb 19, 2017
    Thanks for the picture. A few questions:

When you say under the seat are you referring to the gaucho couch, I assuming the HWH is just behind the T-Stat? In the '96 the T-Stat is to the right of the fridge under the gaucho with a 110 outlet right above it?
    Where does the LP line tee off of?
    Is it wired straight to the converter or can I tap into the fridge wiring or the 110 outlet above the T-Stat?

13. smit1088

Mar 15, 2011
    Stillwater, MN
    Yep, it is next to the fridge under the gaucho seat behind the t-stat. I'm pretty sure the LP was teed off the fridge line under the camper. You can see it in the pic coming up through the floor.

I honestly didn't think the HWH had any power to it. I'll try to get down to my camper this weekend, but we just got 12" of snow the other day.

If you want this information this weekend, send me an email because I don't check this on weekends.
    Ryan@CamperSolutions.com

14. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    It shouldn't, I doubt they used a DSI unit back then.

theseus likes this.
  15. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    do you have water pump?

16. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    I caught power off of a nearby 12v receptacle, when I added a water pump, outdoor shower, and dsi water heater.

17. Jml96sv

Jml96sv Member

Feb 19, 2017
    When you say receptacle do you mean like the fridge or the furnace?

18. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    No, it is a 12v cigarette lighter receptacle. The wire that feeds it, is in the cabinet under the galley. That is where I added my water pump, which was the oem location.

19. Jml96sv

Jml96sv Member

Feb 19, 2017
    Hello

I ended up buying a parts camper which had a 6 Gal suburban LP only and A/C. I am a little confused on the plumbing. Do the City Water and Pump T together and than run to the Sink, HWH, and Outdoor Shower or is it not Tee'd until after the Pump?

20. smit1088

Mar 15, 2011
    Stillwater, MN