Water Heater: To Drain or Not to Drain?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by neighbormike, Jul 2, 2018.

1. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    When I purchased my tt (1st camper with a water heater), I was told to remove the anode rod & drain the water heater in between trips. I drained it a few weeks ago (with a few weeks until my next trip) but started thinking about it... It's been in the 80's & 90's lately and leaving it with just a little moisture in the tank seems like it'd be more prone to mold issues than if I left it full... I refilled it tonight (just to satisfy myself) but wondering what others actually do....

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I have no clue, but I would only drain it to winterize it. If sitting I would flush it. And I wouldent cook with or drink the hot water!

3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I leave mine filled all season

4. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    X2 ^^^

5. neighbormike

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Thanks! This is pretty much what I've been thinking! I wish they made & sold a vented plug to install when empty to allow air movement but keep insects & critters out!

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Drain our water heater when i winterize that's all.

7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I leave mine filled year round, living here in Fl. as I camp year round, I do not usually winterize, if we are getting a hard freeze (not very often )I just start the furnace in the TT.

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We usually leave ours filled, since most years the camper is out about once a month. We did drain ours a couple of weeks ago, since our last trip was at the end of April and our May-June trips got canceled. Between our hard water and the reports of stinky results when the hot water tank is left filled for "too long" (whatever that may mean), we decided to drain it. We refilled it, though.

9. neighbormike

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Thanks! You all are confirming what I had in mind!