Water leaks and winterizing - looking for suggestions

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by lostboy, Oct 11, 2018.

1. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    To start we bought our camper this summer with the water system untested. We got a good deal and figured if something leaked we would fix it and still have saved a lot of money.

(the previous owner didn't winterize it last winter but also said they didn't use it since it was winterized the year before. I found water in the hot water heater, water in the fresh water tank and water in the gray tank).

We camped this summer without using the water.

I was was winterizing it tonight and found at least 3 leaks One from the pump head, one from the outside shower, and a tiny one on the water line into the toilet (could just be the clamp).

Even though these were leaking, I went ahead and rank pink antifreeze out of all the faucets/showers. Then cleaned up the mess (I was prepared before I started the pump).

In order to take pressure off the lines and insure there isn't anything else to leak, I then opened the low point drain and drained out the lines (drained the pink stuff). I figured no pressure, no fluid, no leaks... And if anything is in the lines it's pink.

Anything else you can think of or tips to insure it stays dry over the winter and our one last trip.

I will worry about fixing the leaks, potentially water heater and anything else in the spring. We have one more trip this year and then we are putting it in storage.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I would have fixed it first, but too late now. Did you bypass the water heater and drain it? You filled the traps also? If it has them? Not sure what camper you have? Is it a chemical toilet? If so it has to be drained elsewhere. Also the pump on the toilet need to be purged of water. I think otherwise your good, if anything, the previous breakes should take the brunt if somerhing was missed.

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Ditto ^^^^^^

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    Thanks. I did do the other stuff to. Thought I had it covered but needed a 'second set of eyes'. I agree, wish I had time to fix it but didn't even know it was leaking until tonight and wanted to insure it didn't get any more damage tonight, it's supposed to drop to 28.

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Thats why i did mine early, winter comes quick now! I blame game of thrones......