Water odor from sink and shower head in popup

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by 1lastweekend, Sep 7, 2018.

1. 1lastweekend

1lastweekend New Member

Aug 30, 2008
    I have a 2008 Flagstaff 625D. Every fall I winterize the water system by pulling the infeed line off of the fresh water holding tank, sticking it in a 10 gallon pail of RV antifreeze, switch on the 12V pump and open all of the faucets (hot and cold) one at a time until the pink stuff flows out. I have had this popup since 2012 and have winterized it this way each fall. I do drain the H/W tank beforehand, bypass it using the valves and clean the anode before I winterize.

Well this year while running the sink on a recent trip(hooked up to city water, not running off of the freshwater tank) I noticed a bad odor coming from the water out of the sink tap. I checked the water from the campground spigot, it was odor-free.

Has anyone else experienced this? It also smells coming out of the outdoor shower head. Could it be the pex lines? Or maybe my white hose from the campground water tap to my camper? Is it from the RV antifreeze? I smell it when running both hot and cold water. Any help or advice is much appreciated!

2. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    Can you identify the smell or what it smells like? Crazy as that sounds it may help someone figure it out. My mom's water in her house was putting out an awful smell (i forget what it was) but a quick internet search on that popped up the solution to get rid of it.

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Do you sanitize the wayer system before using it for the season? After you drain out the anti freeze?

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Sounds like you need to sanitize the entire water system including the water heater.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    The sink and shower drain traps only work if there is water in them to block the odor. If the traps dry out you will get a smell from the gray tank.

6. 1lastweekend

1lastweekend New Member

Aug 30, 2008
    I have not santized the water system. What's involved in doing that?

Thanks for the feedback

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Dunno g some bleach through the system. Then hold it in the lines for about 3 hours. Then flush it. Unsure of ratio, I just poured some in the water tank. It dosent need a lot.