Water Pump Continuously Running

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by rerspain, Jun 29, 2018.

1. rerspain

rerspain Active Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Middlesex, New Jersey
    Hi All,

In our new to us hybrid camper we noticed the water pump is running continuously. It is not responding to the switch inside the camper on the switch panel either. The indicator light is constantly lit up blue. Pump is also running when connected to city water.

Not sure what to do here. Any troubleshooting before I call the dealer would be appreciated

2. rerspain

rerspain Active Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Middlesex, New Jersey
    An update. I filled the fresh water tank and than opened the cold water on the sink. The pump turned on and than turned off. Same for the bathroom sink. However, the RV monitor panel switch is still lit up even when turned "off" and the pump seems to constantly have power. Should the switch be replaced? Is this a larger electrical issue?

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    The light is to remind you that the power to the pump is on. As far as running to begin with, usually air in the lines causes this, you get the air out by turning the faucet on until it has a steady stream coming out on both hot and cold water. The pump will have constant power when the switch is on, but will not operate until you open a faucet and then the pressure switch for the pump will turn on until you close the faucet again.

4. rerspain

rerspain Active Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Middlesex, New Jersey
    I am pretty sure it is a bad switch. The light stays illuminated in the on and off position. The pump runs when the fresh water tank is empty wheather the switch is in the on/off position. When I fill the tank it shuts off. I ordered a new switch for the kib panel.

It just makes me mad. The guy who did the walk through of the camper said it always stays lite wheather it is on or off when I specify asked him why it was still on. The dealer will get an ear full tomorrow.

Also when the guy did the walk through I notice all 3 tanks were full and he said it was from him testing everything. I asked him twice to make sure they were empty before we left and when I got home they were all still full.

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    I think the monitor panel is wired wrong or bad.

6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    I would rather have the salesman tell me "I don't know" than to lie to me if he doesn't know.
    I would trust him again at all.

7. rerspain

rerspain Active Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Middlesex, New Jersey
    I will know in a few hours, the new switch will be here soon thanks to amazon one day shipping.

I also considered someone connected the wires wrong to the switch because there are 3 prongs. It is the only switch that doesn’t work correctly. Every other switch does what it is supposed to do.

8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Usually a 3 terminal lighted switch will have the power at the bottom terminal (looking at the switch in the on position) the load (in your case Pump)at the center terminal and the top terminal will go to ground for the light. When the switch is on it feeds the center terminal and the bulb inside the switch. The ground for the bulb is the top terminal.

9. rerspain

rerspain Active Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Middlesex, New Jersey
    So the new switch came. The new switch did not change the situation. Turns out that the pump still runs even if the switch is completely disconnected. This leads me to believe one of two things- this camper has a 2nd switch somewhere providing power to the pump, or someone added in a hot to the load wire after the switch (which leaves me crazy confused as to why that would happen).

10. rerspain

rerspain Active Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Middlesex, New Jersey
    It isn’t the switch. The load wire when disconnected from the switch it hot.

11. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    I have heard where some people have added a second switch to operate the pump from outside. But this is when they do some extra plumbing and valves near the water pump so the they can use the pump to transfer water from a jug outside to the fresh water tank.

I think its time to trace the hot wire going to the pump.

Once you solve the hot lead going to the pump, your light should go off when the switch is in the off position.

12. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    I plan to move my pump switch. It is now in a nice panel in a gally cabinet. But I don't like to leave the pump on when we are not at the camper or on the road. If I move the switch to somewhere it can be seen by just looking inside the camper and can be easily turned on if the toilet needs to be used on the road.

13. rerspain

rerspain Active Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Middlesex, New Jersey
    That is what someone else suggested and we looked all over in the bathroom, under the sink, outside of the camper, in compartments. Unless the prior owner really wanted it hidden.

All of the electrical connections look factory and it doesn’t look like the prior owner modified anything. It is the original water pump because the date stamp of it matches closely to the year the trailer was built.

I have traced as much as I can without opening walls. The amount I have traced is still in the plastic flex hose to protect it. So I have a hard time believing that it is a short somewhere in the wall or floor where it crosses but without finding another switch that is the only reason it would be hot, right?

Another thing to add is that the pump does go off when I hit the battery disconnect.

It is a Flagstaff shamrock 17 htt 2014. Is there a common area to find shorts in general on a htt?