Water pump leaking while hooked to city water

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by space76, Aug 1, 2016.

1. space76

space76 New Member

Jun 28, 2016
    Hey all,
    I've got a 2008 Viking 1906 with a faucet that can use water from a city connection (left handle on the faucet) or the holding tank via a 12v water pump (right handle). I kept mopping up water spreading over the floor this weekend and was totally perplexed as to where it was coming from.

Here's the backstory: The camper is new to me -- we purchased it about a month ago. This was the first time I'd hooked it to city water (spigot at a fairground). I used a pressure regulator on the camper side of the fresh water hose. (After reading more about that, I'll start putting the regulator on the spigot side from now on.) I turned on the spigot the first time and heard a pop in the camper. The city water faucet handle shot into the air and water spurted out. Turns out the faucet handle was already broken, and the water pressure just finished the job. So I went to the local hardware store and picked up a $20 4-inch faucet and swapped it into the camper. Pretty easy, and the water flowed beautifully after that.

A couple of days later, I woke up with a wet spot on the middle of the floor. I moved all the gear and mopped it up. I looked at the city water connection from where it comes into the camper to the faucet, and everything was dry as a bone. I looked at the drain line and it also was plenty dry. I thought it may have been condensation from the refrigerator, which was acting up during the weekend. So I turned off the fridge and carried on.

The water came back the next day, and I resolved to figure out where the heck it was coming from. I moved all of the gear to the bunks and opened up all of the bench tops to check water lines. I finally found the culprit: water was leaking out of the water pump, a good six feet from the faucet and nowhere near the city water inlet. I also found that someone -- ahem -- had opened the right faucet handle. I assumed that was letting water into the line that goes back toward the water pump, and that water was pooling in the pump and that the pump has a leak and was letting it out onto the floor. I closed the right handle and turned on the left again. While water wasn't rushing out in the same way as with the right handle open, there was still a drip coming from the pump.

My questions: Why is water from the city hookup going backwards into the line toward the water tank? Do I need to put a check valve on the right faucet line to keep city water from going into that tank line?

And if I'm seeing a leak from the pump, is it safe to assume that I need to remove the pump and check all the gaskets, etc.? Any advice for what to look for once I get the pump out?

Thanks so much for any advice you all can offer. This forum has been such a big help as I try to figure out all these new-to-me systems:)

2. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    If I had to guess, I'd say your pump is shot or you have a loose hose. Most manufacturers use the pump as the check valve. When I replumed my last camper, I put a valve in between the pump and the rest of the system. It's easy to do.

3. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

May 4, 2009
    Maine
    If the city water is filling up your tank via the water pump then your check valve portion (which is the diaphragm inside of the pump) of the water pump requires a rebuild or buy a new unit.

4. space76

space76 New Member

Jun 28, 2016
    Thanks, guys. (And hi to the fellow Mainer!) I don't think water is even making it beyond the pump to get into the tank. It's ending up on my floor:) That said, it sounds very right that the check valve in the pump is bad. I'll investigate. Many thanks for the suggestions!

5. John Rock

John Rock Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Quebec
    Did you get this fixed?