Water Shooting out the side of the PUP

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by mountain mike, Apr 30, 2018.

1. mountain mike

mountain mike New Member

Jul 25, 2017
    We got a NTU 2006 Jayco Baja 10Y pop-up. I am completely new to PUP's and am a little lost. I am fairly mechanically inclined so I am hoping I can trouble shoot these issues myself.

I tried out the water system yesterday and have a few concerns.

1. I hooked up the city water and when I turned off the water and disconnected the hose water came shooting out of the city water hook up with pressure and continue to come out for a few minutes.

2. I then tried the water tank and filled it with the hose, or at least part way. I turned on the pump and it blew out the city water hook up again. I went and got a cap and plug the city water inlet and that stopped the leak but then the system would not pressurize where the pump would turn off. I also was getting a lot of air in the lines which would not purge out.

Any ideas of how to address these issues?

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Do you have a hot water heater? It sounds like you may have a bypass valve open that needs shutting.

3. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    At first blush, it sounds like one of your check valve's (One Way Valve) has gone bad:

Here is an Extremely simplified diagram.
    upload_2018-4-30_13-45-44.png

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Pic didn't work.

5. mountain mike

mountain mike New Member

Jul 25, 2017
    I do have a water heater but was able to find any other valves with the exception of the that is before the pump and after the water holding tank. I did find a couple of pull valves by the water heater, where you can pull a little lever up. Both of those levers were down. Could those be a bypass? They seemed fairly small. Also when I turned on the pump I could hear it filling the water heater.

6. mountain mike

mountain mike New Member

Jul 25, 2017
    I can't see the pic. Is that on the city water inlet?

7. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    The backflow valve at the city water connection has lost it's O ring. The easiest way to repair this is with a new water connector. The cheap fix is with a male to male hose end adaptor, a hose end cap and new hose washers for when you use the pump.

mountain mike likes this.
  8. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    I've replaced the image with this:

upload_2018-4-30_13-46-7.png

9. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    For number 2, you need to check for air leaks in the line between the fresh water tank and the pump. Most likely at the connection to the pump itself. The plastic manifold where the line connects to the pump can crack when the pump is not properly winterized. Look for water leaks when the pump is run a while and then turned off. Hopefully you can repair it without having to buy a new pump.

10. mountain mike

mountain mike New Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Awesome! I will check the check valve and water pump connection. Thanks guys!

11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    If you have access to the check valve, disassemble it and check the oring, most likely the oring a rolled over. This is caused usually by quick incorrect winterizing, dane it many times on the TT..

12. Dierdra

Dierdra New Member

Jan 29, 2018
    Indiana
    Also, new; 2000 Coleman Utah
    When we turn on the water pump we have the below leaking. It accurs both when the hot water heat is on or off.
    I can’t see a pipe leaking; could it be under the back panel? How do you fix?

Attached Files:

13. the_dingman

the_dingman New Member

Jul 18, 2015
    If you haven't fixed this yet, it's likely the connection for the outside shower. It connects under the glide out. Take the 4 screws off so you can remove the big cover on the inside of the glide out, and you'll likely find it.

14. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    +1 to the outside shower. Ask me how I know....

15. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    The check valve in the city water connection is bad. The spring maybe just off center. Try moving it with something like a ball point pen, etc.