Watergate won't stay lit

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by lucky13don, Mar 15, 2017.

1. lucky13don

lucky13don Member

Jul 13, 2016
    sf bay area
    So on this past trip the water heater wouldn't stay lit for more than a hour or so..it's a Atwood 6 gal lp gas. Never saw a pilot light when I kicked the gas on the sucker shot a flame out of the burn tube a foot long.o_O. Then worked for a hour or so. So what am I doing wrong here?

2. lucky13don

lucky13don Member

Jul 13, 2016
    sf bay area
    Watergate??? Ugh...water heater

3. Customer

Customer Active Member

Jun 5, 2014
    You could start by telling the brand and model number so we know what you are working on.

lucky13don and kitphantom like this.
  4. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    Ensure the intake and exhaust are clear.

I have heard multiple people have issues with spiders and such plugging stuff up.

lucky13don likes this.
  5. You have to get the pilot to work; if that doesn't work you'll be lighting the full burner by hand each time. Probably not a desirable activity.

I have a Suburban SW6P and couldn't get the pilot to stay on consistently, probably due to a weak thermocouple. I replaced the pilot/thermocouple assembly and it now works like a charm. Not sure how your Atwood is configured, but many times you can find a maintenance manual at the Atwood web site or at least some tips online.

lucky13don likes this.
  6. lucky13don

lucky13don Member

Jul 13, 2016
    sf bay area
    atwood 6 gal g6a-7? have the install manaul, but not much in it for trouble shooting. looks like intake and exhaust are clear.pilot light never lights,so i go to burner and goose the gas and bang we have hot water. think i might swap out the white rodgers thermostat. if a good deep cleaning doesnt fix the issuse.

7. lucky13don

lucky13don Member

Jul 13, 2016
    sf bay area
    thats what im doing..lol. upside no hairy knuckles now

8. lucky13don

lucky13don Member

Jul 13, 2016
    sf bay area
    check this out,,

Attached Files:

9. world traveler

world traveler Member

Oct 23, 2015
    clean it up first, and if it shuts off after working for a while, it's probably too hot so might change the thermostat. My manual says keep the pilot on for 30 sec or so, and I light up the stove first to get the gas in the lines. I keep mine on pilot most of the time and the water is hot enough for regular face/handwashing etc. turn it on if more than one person shower.

lucky13don likes this.
  10. crackerJack

crackerJack Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    I agree with Haybale. It sounds similar to how my fridge behaves when orifice is plugged with spider cocoons. It will let some gas out, but not enough to function right, then when you try to relight it rolls out.

On residential water heaters, flame roll out is usually caused by soot build up in the flue, which is caused by poor flame quality, which is caused by debris in burner or poor combustion air.

lucky13don likes this.