Waterproofing old Canvas

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by Filip K, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Filip K

Filip K New Member

Jul 10, 2018
    I just recently bought a 1998 Coleman Mesa pop up and this baby has been garage kept however the canvas has never seen rain. So when i tried to clean it i noticed that it soaked up water like a sponge. Can someone recommend a water repellent for this side wall canvas?

I was told by my RV deal Canvak works ok but didnt have great reviews.
    i found these items on Amazon anyone use these products and can recommend one?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AY4RE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DFNDF5S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1GWV06TCF3D82&psc=1

2. Lanternman

Lanternman Active Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Mooresville NC
    Lot of people like '303' protectant, but some companies dont recommend silicone/petroleum products on their canvas. Surely someone here will chime in and tell you whats safe on the Coleman canvas.
    If all else fails, youre probably pretty safe with Iosso brand, its non silicone/non petroleum, but from personal experience, man you have to soak the fabric GOOD, and I mean til its running on the ground, and youll probably have to do it twice.
    Follow the advice on here and youll be good to go.

3. Filip K

Filip K New Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Thanks for the reply, yeah the fabric is super dry no remnants of any water proofing left. I was looking at the 303 brand. It's 20 years old I feel anything I touch this thing with will be a diaster. I will hang out for a few more responses. Thanks again

4. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Syracuse, NY
    I had a 2002 Coleman with Sunbrella fabric and the manual recommended 303. I used 303 fabric waterproofer and it worked well. If you have a manual it may have a recommendation.

5. Filip K

Filip K New Member

Jul 10, 2018
    so this manual from 1998 says use Scotchgard fabric and upholestry protector in the red plaid can only. Now i live on the side of danger lol and willing to try something else. Does anyone know if that scotchgard stuff can be substituted for something else? no where in my manual can i see what the canvas is made of it just refers to it as "fabric".

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I just used the star bright stuff, it worked well. You need to see what you have for a covering . 303 or petroleum based stuff will work on canvas and sumbrell. There was another covering used, but I know nothing of it. My 2000 Colman was sunbrella and vinal. I lived on the edge and used the starbright on the whole covering. The 2000 manual recommends 303