Ways to reinforce slide out bunks!

Discussion in 'Slide-Outs / Bunkends' started by Stephanie T, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Stephanie T

Stephanie T New Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Skiatook, OK
    Hey everyone! I am in need of some advise! We recently acquired ( last Saturday) a 1986 Coleman Plantation Series Savannah. It is huge! Now the condition is better than some we have looked at but it still needs a significant amount of work. First none of the cable systems worked so my husband and I designed some exterior lifts to open the camper and will be fabricating something to cover and support the rail areas. But the slide outs make me nervous. I am by no means a dainty thing and quite curvy, Is there cost effective ways to paint on something that adds not only strength but also protection from the elements? I was thinking of coating both bunks with polyurethane top and bottom for protection. Does anyone have any other ideas or advise?

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Never heard of a paint to make wood stronger

tfischer likes this.
  3. Redneckpunk

Redneckpunk New Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Orangevale, CA
    Only “coating” I’m aware of that would make it stronger would be to fiberglass the plywood. Seems like a lot of work considering my bunks hold my fat a$$ (260lbs), my wife and our dog (50lbs) without having an issue. I have seen pickup truck load locks used as jackstands under bunks.

Katskamper likes this.
  4. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    I would be more concerned about reinforcing the support under the bunk end, rather than the bunk end itself.

Redneckpunk likes this.
  5. George Rose

George Rose Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Most of the bunk ends I have seen have support legs or bars that lock in place after you are set up. Do you not have these? Everything I have read says do not paint the wood, it needs to breathe.

6. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I'm over 3 bills the DW aint exactly tiny and we sleep on the rear bunk without issue!

7. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    If the bunkhead feel weak and creaks, it may be time to replace the plywood. Coleman Popups have real strong bunkends and they can hold up to 1000lbs on bunkend. The rails and the support poles would do good job supporting.

8. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    I have a photo somewhere of a 4-wheeler sitting on a bunkend. [:O]

Don't paint! The bunkend wood, like the floor, is designed to breathe.