WD Hitch Shank - Am I missing something?

Discussion in 'Etrailer.com Trailers and Towing Forum' started by cam_1100, Jul 25, 2018.

1. cam_1100

cam_1100 Member

May 10, 2018
    Rochester, MN
    On the etrailer.com site, the two hitch shanks are listed. One is for the Fastway E2 hitch, the other is for the Equal-i-zer hitch. As far as I can tell, the parts are nearly identical except for the price and 200# difference in tongue weight rating.

Fastway: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Fastway/FA92-02-4214.html
    Equal-i-zer: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessorie...4300.html#exp-productdetails=.all-description

Since both are rated for more than I need, is there any reason to pick the more expensive Equal-i-zer shank?

Another question: Are Fastway and Equal-i-zer affiliated in some way? Their parts are so similar, even the part numbers are almost the same. When I first started researching, I thought the E2 hitch was a 2nd generation Equal-i-zer hitch, but I think now they are separate products.

2. chartle

chartle New Member

Apr 18, 2018
    Pgh, PA
    Subbed to this because I'm in the same boat. Want a WDH but the shanks that come with them have very little drop and I already use a 2" drop and probably need another inch.

I'm looking at a Husky Center Line and a CAMCO ReCurve R3. A drop down shank for the Husky is around $40 and for the R3 $90.

3. cam_1100

cam_1100 Member

May 10, 2018
    Rochester, MN
    I'm hoping the 4" drop is enough for me. It should be since we have a 2" drop on our standard hitch and it's pretty close to having the camper level. My concern now is ground clearance to the bottom of the shank. The one I need hangs down almost 12" from the receiver. That's a couple inches below the normal ground clearance of the TV but it should be okay on level ground, I'll just have to be careful on uneven surfaces and when leaving the driveway.

4. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    Fastway sells the Equalizer 2 line of WDH, Don't know if there is any affiliation between the two, but it seems to me that Equalizer used have the E2 on their website, but not anymore.