We decided to go dark yesterday!

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by eoleson1, Apr 7, 2019.

1. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Went to the dealer yesterday to look at pups and came away with a Shasta Oasis 18BH. Being in our late 50s, DW and I decided that we will probably not feel like setting up the pup 10 years down the road. We looked at several that our current TV could pull and decided on the bunkhouse. The only bad part of the deal is that we are booked for the next few weekends, so we won't be able to christen it until May probably.

Now we have to open and clean out the old StarCraft to put her on the market.

2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Congratulations! I think you will enjoy the simplified set-up (and perhaps a few added luxuries)!

Edit: just saw what pup you have... maybe you're able to keep it AND the Shasta?? I am very partial to those! My 1st was a '94 Stardust 1021 - I miss it at times but still get to see it (Ziggy) on a regular basis!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  3. eoleson1

Thanks! We love our Starcraft, but imo, it's time for someone else to love it. We don't have enough weekends to use the new toy, let alone having the old toy. Might I regret it in the future? Probably, but not at 2am when nature calls, or at 10pm when the neighbors in the cg start getting sauced.

neighbormike likes this.
  4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Conrats, you won't be sorry

5. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Congrats, you are going to love the new way of camping!

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Congrats on the New unit, I am sure y'all will love it. Things change as we get older and we really need to pay attention to our bodies. We are glad we went dark and have never looked back. The extra time prior to using it will give you some time to start "making it your own" and to get used to the unit too.
    Good Luck and Happy Camping

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Welcome to the dark side. We bought our TT in the fall of '14, didn't sell the pup until the next spring, so we had time to consider keeping both. For us, we decided that keeping one camper stocked and maintained was enough. (We still have our good front country tent and equipment, so could go that route if there was a reason to do so.)

kcsa75 likes this.
  8. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Same here. We appreciated what our popup did vs. tent camping, but don't miss it since going dark.

Congratulations.

kcsa75 likes this.
  9. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Congratulations! We just pulled the TT out of storage yesterday... I don't miss PUP camping. You're really going to like your TT if you were thinking about setup issues.

10. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

You will love the lack of setup/take down time.

11. eoleson1

Took delivery yesterday. My one big concern was how the Colorado would work as a TV. I was impressed at how easy it really was to pull. I chose the windiest day of the year to pick up the unit. Heading home, I was driving directly into a 20 mph wind. Put the truck in 3rd and I was able to pull it at 65 mph. I suspect my mileage will be in the low teens, but the truck is definitely capable. I was also surprised at how easy it was to back into place. Yeah, I believe we're going to like this!

12. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Congratulations! We moved to the dark side at the end of 2017 when DW put her foot down for a real bathroom. I really thought I would miss the Pup but that hasn't really been the case.

We doubled our nights camped from 32 in 2017 to 60 in 2018.

eoleson1 likes this.