We lost our Camp'in Buddy Today...

Discussion in 'Best Wishes/Remembrances for Loved Ones & Friends' started by cztardust, Feb 6, 2016.

1. cztardust

cztardust Member

May 29, 2013
    We lost one of our camping buddies today. Max was a rescue dog we picked up about 10 years ago that wasn't supposed to survive a couple weeks after heart-worm. I have to say that we all were surprised at this dog's come back. Even with severe lung problems he managed to become a good friend to us, have a pretty good life and even enjoy camping. Even with diminished lung capacity, he got to know what it was like to take "the big walk" around campground loops. I wouldn't have ever thought he could make it, but he loved it.
    He's the first of our camp'in buddies that didn't seem to outgrow being a puppy. We noticed after the Dunes Rally that he was not quite the same and then the vet visits started and continued until tonight when he didn't wake up for his late night yard patrol.
    I'm glad we decided to give a rescue dog a chance, glad he had a chance to chase UPS up and down the fence-line and outlive his arch-enemy, the "big bad" yard squirrel we found expired a few weeks ago... I could write a book about the squirrel wars, their antics and mutual love to tease and chase each other. It was the talk of our neighbors... Lol
    Now we have to tend for camp'in buddy #2 that seems to be waiting at the window for her friend to come home. It's not easy to watch-
    This is going to take a bit of getting used to.

2. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    So sorry for your loss [:(]

It's hard losing a pet, they really are family!!!

3. Stephen Brower

Stephen Brower 'I'd rather be camping'

Aug 26, 2014
    Northeast Illinois
    So sorry to hear of your loss. I am sure Max had the his best years with you. You should be commended for taking rescue's . We have alway got rescued dogs in our life.

4. cztardust

cztardust Member

May 29, 2013
    Thanks folks, we had a lot of good times and I would urge the rest of the membership to try looking at a few rescue dogs when looking for a new camp'in buddy. Wherever Max came from we knew he remembered it, there were certain tell tale signs he was mistreated... but he was a great dog and so well behaved.
    All in all we've probably had about 10 dogs I can remember since childhood and only one rescue dog didn't work out. That's a pretty good average.

5. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Nov 25, 2015
    So sorry to hear about your Dog.
    Rescues are the best. They know when they are finally home.

6. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Active Member

Dec 9, 2013
    San Diego
    My condolences to you and your family.

7. Canufixit

Canufixit Member

Nov 4, 2015
    Sorry also for your loss. They do become Family.

Any Pics ?

8. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    "If dogs don't go to heaven, I want to go where they go." ....... Will Rogers

Your next best friend is waiting for you at a nearby shelter.