We made the leap

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by mpotapa, Nov 5, 2017.

1. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    We didn’t go completely to the dark side but we did go to the gray side. Picked up our new 2018 Rockwood Roo 233s. First time towing something other than the pop up and it went pretty well. It was raining pretty good too. Backing it into my driveway wasn’t easy. I messed up some grass and ran into a bush (we are getting rid of it anyway). We are very happy with the unit and the dealership.

upstate family likes this.
  2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Congrats on the New Hybrid unit. You will find it a lot easier to set up and break down especially in inclement weather, also loading and unloading. Don't worry about the bush, and axe and lopers will get it out of the way in a short time :)
    I lined my back up area with 12X12 pavers from Lowes for .88 each. You will get the hang of backing up in just a short time. Wishing you many great adventures in the future, good luck and Happy Camping

3. megcabra

megcabra Active Member

Congratulations on your new Roo!

4. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Do you guys think I made a mistake purchasing the 4 year extended warranty? My wife and I thought it would be nice to have the 5 years to not have to worry about things going wrong so we went with it. Has anyone else done this?

kitphantom likes this.
  5. upstate family

upstate family Member

Jul 20, 2016
    Central New York
    We have the same one and love it! Has more storage space then you realize and it is all accessible from the inside. Enjoy!

6. DJS12354

DJS12354 Active Member

In general I am not a fan of extended warranties. It's a numbers game. Likelihood of a problem vs out of pocket cost. That being said, if you are getting piece of mind from having the warranty, it might be worth it to you.

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We almost never buy extended warranties, but once in a while, it seems a good idea. That's one of those questions that only time will tell if you chose correctly. With ours, we didn't have to choose, the dealer always includes a "Warranty Forever" with campers. Unless it's well-hidden, we didn't pay for the warranty itself. We do have to have an annual inspection and preventative maintenance done at an approved place, so the dealer gets that business.
    We had one repair under the manufacturers warranty. The TT is currently at the shop, for a problem with an axle or bearing issue, so we'll see if the warranty covers that. We know neither warranty covers damage or usual wear and tear - so when I damaged the awning by tapping a tree, the replacement was on us.

8. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Maryland
    Congratulations on your new hybrid - we have really liked ours. The 233s was very appealing to us until we realized the kids were graduating high school soon and would be off to college and we really would not need three tent beds.....so we ended up with the 23WS and are very happy. Hopefully you will have many great camping trips in your future and you won't need to use that extended warranty (after all it is just an insurance policy isn't it and it is one of those things that you buy and hope never to have to use - yes??).

9. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Jun 8, 2012
    Congrats! The 233S is an awesome coach. What are you using for a TV and hitch? They have pretty much gone thru and fixed every layout issue I didn't like about my 2013. I truly think you are going to love the 233S. As for towing and backing up, it will come with practice. It won't be long before you wonder what you were nervous about.

10. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    We have a 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 crew cab and the hitch they sold us is the eaz lift recurve R3 with adjustable sway control. I lease a new truck every couple years. I have the wireless break controller so I don’t need to get one installed on each new truck I get.

11. RockyRoo

Jun 8, 2012
    That’s an interesting hitch, I have never seen that one before. I would be interested in hearing your reviews of it after you have put a few miles on with it.

A little suggestion, if you are planning on doing mostly “local” camping then the 1/2 ton will be ok. If you plan on doing any long trips with it, you might want to grab a 3/4 ton off a used lot and do a test tow with it before signing your next lease. For long hauls I think you will find a 3/4 ton much more comfortable for long days on the road, we definitely did.

12. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    What do you consider a long trip? Coming from a pop up we didn’t have a weight distribution hitch. I pulled the camper home from the dealer 150 miles in pouring rain. Didn’t seem to have any issues. I could tell the truck has to work harder than the pop up, but it’s another 2500 pounds it’s pulling. I really like that I got the furrion observation camera and I have the tekonsha wireless brake controller. Makes it nice for leasing vehicles. When I lease my next truck in a year maybe I’ll get one that tows a bit more. I really didn’t have any issues towing it home though.

13. RockyRoo

Jun 8, 2012
    "Cross country"? I towed mine 150 miles+ several times with both 1/2 ton Burbs and a 2013 1/2 ton Silverado and they handled it OK, it was just never anything that I would want to do a real haul with. We got our 2015 Silverado 2500 right before making the trip from Toledo OH to Custer SD, and it was a whole different world. No struggle, no getting pushed around by cross winds or trucks, plains or mountains it was a much happier rig, and we camped at 5500 feet ish, so we did some climbing. That was a very relaxed trip. (Do a quick Portal search for "Rocky Roo's Great Western Adventure" if you want to kill some time. )

You really are battling a couple things, weight as you said, also much larger frontal area.

As for the camera, the Observation cam was definitely the right choice. I was the guy that said "if you can tow then you don't need a rear camera, you can see what you need to see". Well, she talked me into one after we got the 5er and I have to admit I ate my words on that one, that observation cam was a very nice addition.

I truly hope you love yours as much as I loved mine, the 233S is an awesome rig. I had no issues taking it out on my own if I wanted to. The main reason we changed was because after the South Dakota trip she said she wasn't doing another trip like that again with so much set up and tear down every night and we wanted to start traveling more. I didn't mind it but she did. Gotta keep the wifely one happy.

14. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Depends on the cost, what it covers, and what you have to do to keep coverage intact...