weather problems

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by nineoaks2004, Oct 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    As many of you have noticed, we have problems here , trees down,power down, phones down, Inet down,cell towers down. My area came out pretty well, we are running on the gennie and just got phone lines etc. back.
    Hopefully we can get back to normal really soon. Running the gennie is about to break the bank buying fuel. The free flowing well at our house has provided water for the neighborhood. Luckily fuel it is available and has been available in Ala.
    the coast really took a beating and a lot of folks are without a home or anything else for that matter, it will take years to rebuild the area. Anyway we are fine here in my area just a few trees down. I hope to be up and running shortly. Just thought I would let ya'll know how it is and why I have been offline.

Sjm9911 and DJFav like this.
  2. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    Awe man, I just saw your location, Graceville Fl. I just looked you up on the map, you were definitely in the teeth of the storm. We should have been checking up on you. Glad to hear that you're alright.

3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Glad you're OK.

4. supersaiyan93

supersaiyan93 Member

Sep 20, 2018
    South Louisiana
    Glad to hear you guys are okay. I just finally spoke to my cousin in Lynn Haven, FL today. They stayed for the storm, and it was pretty terrifying for them. Lots of damage around. The area will never be the same again. Decades of trees lost in an instant.

They had a neighbor that was able to get an old well going and provided water for neighbors to shower and clean up as needed. Pretty cool of him. They will be out of power for probably another couple weeks.

5. nineoaks2004

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    The mayor of LynHaven told the people who live there to find either friends or relatives to find another place to live for about 2 months or longer as there is nothing left standing.

6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I'm happy that you are here to talk about it. It was a devastating storm.

Last year, we were officially evacuated during Irma. However, there was no gas available for us to go anywhere, so we stayed. It hit us overnight and that was the most terrifying night of my life. And, our area looked fantastic in comparison to what Micheal has done. We only went one week without power and lost only a few trees.

We won't be staying around for any future storms. We plan way ahead now.

7. supersaiyan93

supersaiyan93 Member

Sep 20, 2018
    South Louisiana
    My cousin only just admitted that they had only boarded up one side of their house, not realizing that as the eye wall went over the wind direction would change. [::)]

They nearly had their front window shattered several times, and they said the wind was so strong the rain was being forced through the weatherstripping of the doors and windows. Had they not been home to mop up, they would have had water damage from just that.

Needless to say, the next home project after cleanup is making a set of boards for ALL the windows.

The official message from local government is to stay away if you're not there, but for residents that stayed, they are trying to do everything they can to make them comfortable and fed, knowing they need locals to help with cleanup. My cousin feels like local government has been awesome all things considered. As a Louisiana native, that's such a foreign concept to me. lol.

8. nineoaks2004

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida

We are still waiting for power hook up. I rebuilt my service as a tree took all the power lines down on a pole next door. I do have a free flowing well which has come in handy for the neighborhood, and luckily we have 2 gennies, one (small one) for the TT and larger one I am using for the house, we have kept the freezer cold and the reefer up in the house, and of course we cook outside under the awning on the TT and shower in the TT, the TT reefer is working great I sleep in the TT with Pebbles and DW sleeps in the house ( she loves the king size sleep number and pf course Gypsy sleeps on the bed with her. Hopefully we will get power tomorrow. Some areas were told they might not get power for 30 days.
    The coastal areas including Mariana (not coastal) are completely demolished.
    My favorite State Parks are closed as they are in bad shape.