Weight Distribution Bar Question

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by generok, May 6, 2018.

1. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Okay, so I have watched a few videos on You Tube and went on the manufacturer's site. I have a "typical" weight distribution hitch on my rig with the bent spring bars and chain links which you "lever" on. I found this weekend that if I load them on to the third of 7 links, I get the best ride height.

The problem is on the third link, the ends of the bars are up along side the frame rail. When I move a certain way, I can hear them rub on the frame.

Is this something to worry about even if my ride height is set? I saw nothing in the literature that said the ends of the bars had to be below the frame rails. The first few turns I heard it, I stoped, but soon saw the issue.

Any thoughts?

2. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    Etrailer has the best videos on how to set up a WDH.

3. generok

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Yup... none address this concern.

I guess they would do or say something if the bars rubbing against the frame is an issue (other than marring them).

4. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    I am guessing it is set up wrong. My instructions say five links minimum. Fewer links will bind and bend the bracket.

5. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I think it would be wise to lower them to at least clear the frame. If you get forced into a tight turn it will bend and or brake. Remember that Having the trailer with the nose down a little is never a bad thing.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    In counting your links are you starting with link #1 closest to the spring bar ? (trying to visualize compared to mine).

Out of 8 links on my spring bars I use the #4 link (counting from the top down to the spring bar). So 1 more link then you are using... I think...

7. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    The eTrailer website has a place where you can ask questions. I've used it a couple times and normally get an answer within a day or two.

8. generok

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Yes, I count up from the bar. So I am in the third link up from the bar. But, the end of the bar is up in the middle of the trailer main rail at that length.

I've been all over the Husky website and I can NOT find a specific user manual for my unit. Just a single generic video.

9. generok

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Husky emailed me back and sure enough, they say use at least 5 links. But, I also have all the dimensions now to completely set the head angle and get it set up for my truck. I think my head angle is too high now to start. Problem is, I need to find a flat level spot to do all the setup, which I don't have at home. My parking pad is slightly sloped.

10. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    I hear you. I ended up setting my WDH up in a parking lot at the state park. [:)C]

11. generok

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Wow! So I took some time yesterday and got the head of the WDH configured based on the dimensions of my truck, and the trailer. The configuration of the previous owner was way, WAY, WAY off! I had to DROP the head 4", which required the purchase of some new deep wall sockets. Also, the torque spec for the ball mount was 260 ft lbs... that's pretty darn tight, so I had to do some mods to my breaker bar to attain that torque... I weigh 170 so... there we go.

I also had to get the head angle correct, which now explains why I was on the third link when I set up last time.

All this probably explains why the WDH didn't seem to be doing a great job, and I now better understand how it is supposed to work.

In all honesty, I am looking, seriously, at the Andersen WDH. I like the fact there are no bars in their system and the chains work as both bar and sway control. It looks a lot easier to connect, except for the triangle plate angle issue. I'll see how this hitch works this season now that I'm fairly confident I have the head adjusted to my rig correctly.

12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Oh you were using the hitch set up from the previous owners truck.. that explains things better now

We have 700ft/lb torque wrenches at work.. made adjusting things easy..

13. neighbormike

neighbormike Active Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    I am picking up a new tt on Saturday and having a wdh installed/ setup... I believe it's a Blue Ox - seems to be a pretty nice setup, however I have never owned one to compare it to.

14. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Aug 22, 2015
    California
    Now that you have it set up correctly, I’d run it and not replace it with the Andersen. People I used to camp with had one and loved it but it puts A LOT of force on the coupler, more than I like to see.

Andersen is the lightest of all WDH and functions well. I would only install one over a traditional WDH if I was pushing my tongue or cargo weight limits.

Adam