Weight distribution hitch: yes or no?

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Yacoma99, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Yacoma99

Yacoma99 Member

The dealer I bought my ntu Ranger 12 from recommended a weight distribution hitch. The Ranger 12 is pretty light and my truck is rated to tow up to 6400lbs. What are y’all’s thoughts?
    Thanks

2. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

What is your tow vehicle? That would help us give a better answer.

3. Yacoma99

Yacoma99 Member

My tv is a 2017 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Sport, double-cab, long bed with the factory tow package.

4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

We drag our Aliner Scout around, with an older F150, without a weight distribution hitch. Tongue weight, weighed it 2 weeks ago, is 160 lbs. loaded trip ready. Barely know it's back there.

5. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

The dealer is trying to make a sale. Rule of thumb is anything above 3000 lbs should have a WHD hitch. My trailer is just under the 3000 lbs and I put one on for piece of mine.
    If you decide you need one I have an extra that you can have a lot cheaper than the dealer would charge.
    Easy to install yourself.

Rik Peery and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

I really doubt it's necessary. That is a really light trailer

PointyCamper likes this.
  7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I had a friend give me a wd hitch, I have never used it but I do use an anti sway bar, mostly to offset semi's passing or meeting me, I do pull a small TT which is higher that a pup, but I also used one when I had a pup.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. generok

generok Well-Known Member

It's really more of a "how does it tow" function. While you probably don't NEED it, if it sways or you get a lot of rear sag, a WDH with sway control can help with that. So can other things, but if it tows nice without, if it were me, I'd skip it. I towed my PUP for 5 years without a WDH and never even felt it back there.

neighbormike likes this.
  9. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

I’ve towed my 2014 Aliner 15 Ranger for two seasons without any additional towing accessories. It tows beautifully! My Ford Escape is rated to tow approx 4600lbs.

PointyCamper likes this.
  10. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Waste of $$$

Rik Peery likes this.
  11. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

When you put weight on the back of your tow vehicle, it can take weight off of the front of your vehicle. Depending on how much weight you put on and how heavy or light your tow vehicle is, you may feel that you have less control of the steering. That may be another reason to use a wdh. Just because a vehicle is rated to tow a certain weight or a certain tongue weight does not mean it can cheat physics. Ideally, you distribute that weight evenly across both axles. Now, there are degrees of reason at play. If you’re towing a 2000 lb pup with a full size truck, it probably isn’t enough tongue weight to have much effect on your steering ability.

12. McCampers

McCampers Member

You should not need a weight distribution set up if your trailer is properly balanced and you have the right height drop hitch on the truck. Hook up your trailer to your truck then park on level ground. Measure the frame height in the front and the back of the trailer. Generally the front should be around 2 inches lower than the back for proper tongue weight. If it is not buy a hitch that raises or lowers the ball to that height. A lot of trailer sway is caused by too little weight at the hitch. If your rig is under 3000 pounds you should not need a weight distribution system. A balanced load at the right level should not have any sway. If your trailer is balanced and at the right hitch height and still sways you have a problem that needs to be fixed, usually a problem with a bent axle or the axle alignment. Either of these problems will leave you broke down soon enough and usually at the worst of places. Good luck and enjoy.

tzmartin likes this.
  13. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I tow my westlake with a full size truck, its about 3500 lbs loaded as a guess. I dont even know its there. As others stated, tow it first. I would say you dont need it.

14. Yacoma99

Yacoma99 Member

Thanks for all the replies. I am definitely going to tow it on a few trips before I buy a wdh.

shuang2, theseus and PointyCamper like this.
  15. jadmt

jadmt Member

I just bought a Ranger 12 a few days ago and towed it from Pasco Wa to Boise and then from Boise to Missoula so plenty of up and down and drove pretty much the speed limit and no issues at all and I was towing with a jeep wrangler. I have dual lp tanks and battery and my tongue weight is still pretty light.

16. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

If you were to install a WDH setup the first thing you would do is measure the height of your Tacoma wheel wells before and after the trailer is on the hitch. The Tacoma is a decent little tow vehicle. I seriously doubt the rear of the Tacoma is sinking low enough with the Aliner attached to require a WDH to redistribute the load. If the trailer is angled to much up/down, just get a drop-down ball mount of the appropriate height to lower or raise the ball.

17. Yacoma99

Yacoma99 Member

As a follow up on the thread I started, I picked up my Aliner last week. After a 4 hour tow over various road conditions, I have determined there is no need for a wdh. I appreciate all of the input.

William Freeman and gladecreekwy like this.