Weight of a 1960s Westholt tent trailer?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Ben G, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Ben G

Ben G New Member

Hi all,
    I'm looking to get a small popup to pull behind our 2012 Subaru Outback on fairly short trips (we'll likely stay within New England). Subaru says that trailers over 1000lbs need electric brakes so I'd like to stay under that to keep things simple. It seems like most inexpensive (older) trailers within the Outback's towing capacity don't already have brakes.
    I'm looking at a Westholt tent trailer from the 1960s. (Older than I had in mind but it looks like it doesn't need much work.) The seller says that the registration lists the weight as 1000lbs. I wouldn't have thought it would be that heavy and I wonder if that was just somebody's guess. Or perhaps that's what it would weigh loaded at max capacity.
    This is the Westholt where the beds fold out to the front and rear, not the smaller "Campmaster" that has the beds on the sides. I've found brochures and ads online but none mention the weight.
    I saw a few posts about these trailers on here so I'm hoping someone can help me figure out the weight of it.
    Thanks!
    Ben

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

Although I don't have your answer, there will be a few folks here on the Portal that will be able to help you. Just give it a little time.

3. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

4. Ben G

Ben G New Member

Thanks for the welcome!
    Thanks Dingit! I had seen that site but somehow missed that page with all the specs. I think that trailer is pretty much the same as the one I'm looking at. It seems like they had two basic types, that one and another that was like the truck camper but with wheels on the sides.
    I'll be back with photos if/when I get it.

5. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Welcome from the mountains of West Virginia from a former E. Pepperell resident.
    Don't go by the dry weight of a camper. This weight is without ANYTHING.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  6. TinyCamperPro

TinyCamperPro Member

If you're looking for something smaller then maybe a small motorcycle type pull behind will work for you? It depends how many people you want to sleep. If it's just the two of you then I've seen some Bunkhouse, Aspens, and other small popups around. Livin lite also has some small popups as well, or even a Coleman Colorado. I myself have an older model Bunkhouse and fully loaded with gear it is about 600 lbs. Dry its about 350 lbs.

But to agree with Joet, that is the dry weight. Once you start adding gear, that will add up quickly.

7. Ben G

Ben G New Member

Thanks for the additional input. I agree that it wouldn't take much to add up to 150 lbs of gear, especially if some of what's considered part of the trailer may not be counted in that 850.

There are four of us - my wife and me plus our two boys, ages 10 & 13. It may be that my requirements aren't realistic.
    The Outback supposedly has a towing capacity of 2700 lbs, but anything over 1000 requires brakes on the trailer. Regardless of weight my preference would be towards the minimal anyway. I don't want a toilet or shower and I'm content setting up my Coleman stove outside.

I've done enough wrenching to be confident that I could handle adding brakes to an axle that has the brackets for them, or probably even swapping in a new axle if needed. I don't think adding the controller to the car would be an issue either.

For the price of this trailer I can justify putting more money into it so maybe if it checks out ok then we'll take it on a local trip in the spring with minimal gear to keep it light (or just try it out in the backyard), and if we're happy with it then I can put the time and money into trailer brakes. If not then maybe you'll see it listed here.
    I'm certainly open to thoughts on that plan.

Joet, we've been in Pepperell almost 14 years, since just before our older son was born. We're on the other side of town though, somewhat west of town hall.

8. michaeltdyer

michaeltdyer Member

I have a 1965 Westholt camper and I tow it with a Volvo XC 90 with no trouble at all. I don't have electric brakes.

9. Ben G

Ben G New Member

XC90 has a 5000 lb towing capacity vs 2700 for the Outback.

How do you like your Westholt? Any specific issues I should look for? Is sleeping four a reasonable expectation?

10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Personally after towing a trailer without breaks and with I will never go back to towing without breaks. I have more control over the camper with breaks. I no longer have to worry I’m going to cream into the person in front of me in an emergency stop because my camper is pushing me and my car breaks aren’t overworked trying to stop everything by itself. Yes camper breaks do require maintenance but trust me you will be replacing your car breaks more often if you had to stop the combo with just the car. With that said, I do understand your desire to keep things simple, but you will have a little more options open to you if you find a camper over 1000. I would find something that fits your family comfortably and with fewer “he’s bumping me” arguments than worry about finding something without breaks. Trust me those arguments get old real fast if your stuck in the camper during bad weather. To each their own though just my two cents.