Weight of people and axle weight rating

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by awhendricks, Aug 2, 2018.

1. awhendricks

awhendricks New Member

Oct 17, 2016
    I haven’t thought about this until I looked into getting a new axle. How much does the weight of people staying inside a camper go against the overall max rating of the axle? I know those numbers are intended for towing figures, but I can’t help but wonder that the weight of passengers has to have some affect on the axle. For instance....

Axle capacity: 2000 lbs
    Camper base axle weight: 900 lbs
    Five adults and gear: 1100 lbs

At those numbers, the axle is at its max rating. Now granted, the tongue will take on some more weight with the front bunk extended out, and I assume the stabilizers might shoulder some weight even though that’s not their primary function. Any opinions are appreciated.

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Weight is weight no matter where it comes from people or gear. If the people are riding in the TV that would be weight in the TV and not the unit, and affect the gvwr of the TV.
    When camped the weight is on the pup frame and axles the stabilizers are for stabilization and should not be carrying weight.

3. awhendricks

awhendricks New Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Well that’s my concern, I’m planning a trip that will involve 4 adults and light cargo that would weigh in around 900-1000. Add in a factory AC, and a 900 pound camper and the axle is almost maxed out. Specs show that max cargo is 690 lbs, add that to the 900 lb trailer and that leaves about 400 lbs for people inside the trailer. Either these axles are vastly underrated for people + cargo or these numbers aren’t intended to include the weight of people inside the camper.

4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    These figures are for people and cargo in the TV. Not the trailer.

5. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Syracuse, NY
    I wouldn’t worry about it. The forces acting on the axle generated at 65 mph are much greater than a relatively static load of you and your gear when set up.

Rusty2192 likes this.
  6. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    [;)]
    The numbers are for towing not setup camping. Do deploy your stabilizers 'snugly' when setup before all the people board.

7. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    It sounds like you are planning to tow with people in the camper?

8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    I would not worry too much about the weight when parked. The axle ratings are determined with movement of the axle involved. Unless you are consistently at or above maximum axle weight when towing AND consistently adding a major amount of additional weight (people) to that when parked, you shouldn't be overwhelming the trailer.

If the weight of the people don't exceed the max ratings of the beds they will be using, you should be fine.

9. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Those are towing numbers. Your hitch will be down and supported when camping. My bunks are each rated for 1200 lbs.