We're going popupping again

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by dcbain, Sep 27, 2014.

1. dcbain

dcbain New Member

While some bemoan the end of summer we're off to the flatlands of Lincolnshire again for the coming week. If you search for "Tattershall Lakes" you'll see where we're going. It's about ten families of our extended family getting together again and one highlight will be a four-year-old's birthday party there tomorrow. I plan a week of peace quiet and thinking what I'm going to do to the pup next - I've done so much so far that I don't know what to do with my time now I've finished. The peace and quiet will be relative, too, as the campsite is about a mile from RAF Coningsby, home to Typhoon squadrons and the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight! I'll try to get net access but if I don't, make sure you all play nicely until we get back.

2. tex02

tex02 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 2005 TrailManor 3023

We are going camping this coming week too with our ntu Trailmanor camper, this is a great time of the year for camping, it's not too hot or humid. And we get to go apple picking!! Have a great trip dcbain!! Enjoy your peace and quiet. :)

Tex

3. dcbain

dcbain New Member

Thank you, Tex02, have fun. Weather here is sunny but cool; I can take a lot of that. I hate the full month of damp and overcast we're getting more often these days.

4. dcbain

dcbain New Member

The week started with some excitement - a trailer puncture about forty miles out. Driving up a slight incline an oncoming motorcyclist waved madly. As I looked across at him I glanced in my mirror to see a cloud of smoke coming from the right side trailer wheel. It says a lot for the stability of the outfit that it didn't sway, jerk, or wobble, just continued as if nothing was wrong! The month old jockey wheel was punctured, too, which is an extra pain and expense. After some waiting for traffic to clear and for me to remember where I'd put the jack and wheelbrace I changed the wreck - 'cos that's what the tyre is, thankfully there's no other damage - and we arrived at our destination about half an hour late. We arrived to be told we'd missed a great air display as the memorial flight had had an event on but for the plane spotters out there there's extra interest as the British AWACS are stationed here while their home station is resurfaced.
    A further note on the puncture incident re driver reactions. The road was three lanes wide; one oncoming and two on our side and straight for a mile in each direction. I pulled to the left as far as possible so I was mostly off the tarmac. We would have been visible, with hazard lights flashing, from at least half a mile away. Without fail, professional heavy goods drivers - and a well driven horsebox - noticed us, signalled and pulled out to give extra clearance. A lot of car drivers, though, made no attempt to slow, pull out or otherwise show any sign of a reaction to the unexpected hazard. It makes me wonder what value there is in a driving licence and how seriously do some people take what they do with it.