What adapter is needed to run the AC?

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by lovelymae, Apr 19, 2017.

1. lovelymae

lovelymae Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Southern Maryland
    This may be a dumb question but how do I plug in our PUP at home so I can run the AC to test it out and see if it works? I was told that I can get an 15M/30F Adapter and found this on Amazon:
    http://amzn.to/2onzOQW
    41kim2ItLgL._SX466_.jpg
    but looking at the reviews it looks like something like this won't help with running the AC.

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    It will work if you don't overload the circuit you are plugging into. I use an adapter like that to plug into my garage and run my AC.

Orchid likes this.
  3. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

Apr 22, 2008
    South Jersey
    Agree with xxx. As long as it doesn't overload the circuit, you should be ok. Most rv a/c units are rated 20 amps.

4. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
  5. lovelymae

lovelymae Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Southern Maryland
    Thank you, I ordered the yellow one and will try it out this weekend.

6. Sneezer

Sneezer Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Wal Mart sells them as well. I am lucky in that I have a high amp outlet in my garage that I can plug into. No problems running the AC and all the lights, fans, etc.

7. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

Mar 27, 2015
    Michigan
    If there is any load on the circuit your plugging into, you'll trip the house breaker when the AC fires up if it a 15 amp circuit.

8. lovelymae

lovelymae Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Southern Maryland
    What do you mean by load? Does that mean other things plugged into the same outlet?

9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    A circuit is everything that is powered on the one switch on your braker box. That would Include light switches, outlets etc. So say for instance if you turned off the breaker switch to the garage, what turns off? Everything that turned off is on the same circuit. A load on the circuit is something that is plugged in within the circuit. For instance if I turned off the breaker for my living room, my TV, charger, lights all turn off. The TV, charger and lights are classified as a load on that circuit.

10. lovelymae

lovelymae Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Southern Maryland
    Thank you jmkay1 that is really helpful!
    You explained that really well. I'll have to check and see what is connected to the garage. We only have one outlet out there and then the garage door opener/light and overhead lighting. I'm thinking if none of that is on then I won't overload the circuit for the garage?

11. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

Apr 22, 2008
    South Jersey
    The beer fridge counts as well :grin:

12. lovelymae

lovelymae Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Southern Maryland
    Luckily the beer fridge is in the house so I think we are good [LOL]

13. roybraddy

roybraddy Active Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    The ideal thing is to use a 120VAC circuit perhaps in your garage that is directly under control of a circuit breaker with nothing else being used on it.

I had the best thing with a 120VAC 20AMP circuit that was installed to run an air compressor unit by the previous owner. This was using a 20AMP Circuit Breaker as well...

This is where I plug in my HD contractor grade 50-foot YELLOW 10-guage extension cord and run out on the ground to my trailer. Then I have one of those RV30A to 15A long Adapters from WALMART where my 30A Shore Power cable end plugs into it like CUSTOMER shows in his post.

DO NOT use one of the small round ADAPTERS like you showed here. They will get hot and burn up your RV 30A plug in quick time...
    [​IMG]
    google image

Another thing i did here was use one of the circuit testers to make sure all three wires coming from the house was being used. Sometimes the ground connection in the house may be missing. This is the only safe ground your trailer will have so it won't give you a shock when standing on the ground and touching the door handle...

[​IMG]

And yet another thing I do is I have a RV 120VAC PLUG in AC meter inside my trailer that I can glance at and I want to see the 120VAC coming from my house connections always in the SAFE ZONE on the meter before I turn on my trailer Air Conditioner...

[​IMG]

We do this all the time when our trailer is parked at home...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  14. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We have to run an extension cord (12 gauge) to run ours to the master bathroom. It's the only outlet in the house that is 20 amp and doesn't share with anything else. Obviously don't use the bathroom fan, lights, or plug anything else there while using the a/c on the pup.

Same goes for any other outlet that you use. It needs to have a 20 amp breaker and don't run anything else that is connected to that same breaker.

15. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

Mar 27, 2015
    Michigan
    Don't have the waffle iron and the beer fridge on when you wanna fire up the AC on the pup.if it's runnin on the same circuit. AC motors don't like to share power, they like to suck mega amprege when they roll over and fire. like a baseball thru a garden hose that's why we run 30 amp cord at the campground if we're runnin AC. You can cycle an AC with less than 20 amps but bad ju ju.. They don't like it. it will kill an AC motor quickly

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  16. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    A hard start capacitor mod will help with start up but again try not to run the curling iron and toaster at the same time.. This also applies to being at the campground too..

17. lovelymae

lovelymae Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Southern Maryland
    We have one of these voltmeter things that plugs into the outlets in the PUP to test. I'll bring it in the house and test the outlets here before I burn things up.

http://amzn.to/2plJWOk

18. lovelymae

lovelymae Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Southern Maryland
    This is a little late, but we plugged the PUP in to the house with just the yellow adapter that I bought and everything worked perfectly. Nothing exploded or overheated. We didn't leave it on all day, just wanted to turn things on to test them out.

Since then we were able to take the PUP to the local CG and plugged everything in out there. AC/Outlets/Fridge/Lights all working great! The only thing we didn't test was the furnace...that we will have to try out in the fall.