What Are Your Big Camping Trips Planned for 2019

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by kcsa75, Jan 1, 2019.

1. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Happy New Year everybody!

Only 90 or so days until the traditional camping season starts (April 1) in our part of the world. What are your camping plans for 2019? Big trips? Weekend getaways?

We have reservations for an extended Memorial Day trip (5 days) and July 4 (8 days) to our favorite lake. DW wants to see the Great Smokey Mountains so we're in the planning stages of a two-week trip probably in September. We plan to spend a couple or three days in Nashville on the way, then three or four days at GSM National Park. Still working on after that.

But right now I'm most excited about this coming weekend. Unless the weatherman does an about face, it's supposed to be in the high 40s and low 50s this weekend, so we're going to get the TT out of storage, dewinterize and spend three nights in our favorite spot at Pomona Lake (KS).

What about you? [:)C]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  2. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We usually go camping for Fathers Day weekend, but we haven't made any reservations yet. We have a family wedding to attend in August so we are planning a 2 week trip around the wedding. Drive out there and camp along the way and then stay in a hotel for the wedding and then camp on the way home.

3. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

Now that we are both retired, we have been planning out some routes that weave together places we both want to visit.

First one is a "bob and weave" route from Denver Metro northerly to/through Fort Laramie (WY), Agate Fossil Beds (NE), Fort Robinson (NE), Black Hills (SD), Devils Tower (WY), and finally to Theodore Roosevelt National Park (ND). Next big decision is where to wander on the way home...…..

kcsa75 likes this.
  4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We already have some reservations, and a few tentative plans for trips.
    March/April - solo- 10 days, to visit friends in Tucson, then attend a SOTF event nearby
    early May - week+ solo - Riverside WW Retro Rally in AZ, then probably Grand Canyon. Courtenay will be at a conference, so I figure I may as well go camping. May meet friends after the Rally weekend, so that destination may change
    Memorial Day week - week+ - North Rim Grand Canyon
    June - solo - SOTF weekend In NM
    August - solo - large SOTF gathering in NM (it's NM's turn to host, so I've volunteered to be a go-fer, etc)
    Labor Day week - at one of our favorite campgrounds in CO, not yet reserved - Courtenay will do a backpack during that trip
    a week in Oct - South Rim Grand Canyon - not yet reserved, Courtenay hopes to get a permit for the backpack he had to cancel this past fall
    Hoping to add another SOTF event or two, maybe a weekend or so camping with Courtenay, depends on whether he gets a chance to backpack in NM

kcsa75 likes this.
  5. DanLee

DanLee Member

Not this year, but sometime in the next five, maybe ten years, I'll haul our popup to Los Angeles and turn it and the Forester over to my daughter. Probably do it in the winter as I hate summer heat. Then take the train back home.

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I plan to go whenever I can take the time to leave the farm, also hopefully We hope to sell this place and we will be moving this year to the lake Butler area.

7. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Weather permitting Friday & Saturday, I will be glamping at Lake Carl Blackwell in northern Oklahoma. The 10th - 13th I will be camping in southeast Oklahoma.

kcsa75 likes this.
  8. Redbird234

Redbird234 Member

We are planning a two week trip to theAmerican east coast. The kids have seen lots of Canada and want to head south.

So far we plan to do the Boston area then up to Maine then...... I sent away for a Vermont tourism book and even though I said we were visiting in the summer I received a winter guide

pasobuff likes this.
  9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

No big trips planned. I just started a new position at work and have been working sever overtime. Until things calm down and I’m better able to feel what days are freer for me I don’t want to plan trips. My brother’s wedding is in June and as a Wedding gift for them, I offered to watch their dog for a week. Although it sounds like they had a friend also offer. There are three trips I’m keeping an eye on, two are in late March and weather during that time can be downright nasty and unpredictable so I like to wait until it’s closer to the day. The one in June is going to depend on if I have my brothers dog or not. I’m bound and determined to camp in every state on the east coast and I only have a few states left. Problem is, they are further out and not very achievable unless I plan an overnight somewhere enroute . Not something that I like to do when I have less than a weeks vacation.

10. pasobuff

pasobuff Active Member

Nothing yet.....looks like I need to do some more work on the leak over our dooor (grrrrrrrr).....BUT - might plan a trip Memorial Day weekend if I don't end up working at Jones Beach again.....that is our traditional first camping of the season up here.

Other than that, I want to take a few days off here and there and on my wish list;
    1 - Darien Lake, NY
    2 - Ausable Chasm, NY
    3 - Hershey, PA area

I know we will end up camping with friends too in Austerlitz, NY - we traditionally camp there the week of 4th of July and I just commute to work from there.

11. NorcrossFlyer

NorcrossFlyer Active Member

I just cleaned out our TT yesterday and winterized so I'm kind of sad right now......

On deck so far in 2019:

June....

1 week at Lake Lanier while the kids are at sleep-away camp. Not a true leisure stay since this is local and the wife and I will be working.

More in June.....

4 nights at the Cape Hatteras KOA (Booking this tomorrow)
    4 nights at the Cape Charles (VA) KOA (Booked)
    4 nights at the Luray, VA Jellystone (Booked)......our first Jellystone adventure
    2 nights somewhere on the way home

August....

4 nights at Topsail Hill down in Destin, FL

October....

4 nights at Trackrock in Blairsville, GA

Probably a weekend in April or May, something in July and then a Thanksgiving week trip.

12. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Doing a month long trip to Maine in August from Texas. Attending a family reunion so will camp out at my brothers place for a few days and then head to coast for some lobster. Later plan to head up to Moosehead Lake for some extended camping.

13. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I like the Maine thought. In early June, we are think about 3-4 weeks new england with at least 10 days in Maine.

We are starting to get some plans together.

We will do some 2-4 day trips to go kayaking when there is good weather.

Made 4 day reservation over mothers day. I'm combining a two day 210 bike tour and camping.

14. NorcrossFlyer

NorcrossFlyer Active Member

Maine feels so friggen good in the heat of the summer compared to the deep South. We were in Bar Harbor last July and the temps were perfect. On our way home at a rest area on the MA-CT line it was like 95 degrees and my kids weren't having any of it. "I WANNA GO BACK TO MAINE!!!"

tenttrailer likes this.
  15. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Nothing yet. My son's long running summer camp in Austin changed locations and owners and is all sorts of drama and messed up this year so he has decided not to attend. However some of his out of state camp friends are returning and I offered to do a couple long weekend camping trips to Austin and Houston over the summer so he could see friends. We will have one merit badge college in Little Rock in May that we will use the pup as well, and hopefully a few more long weekend runs somewhere.

16. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

We got NOTHING planned either. [V] We like to do something in the spring just as the snow is going but that's hard to plan due to variations in that time. We like to camp before the leaves come out to hike and see trails we'll not see again before fall due to foliage. If any of you folks get to the western UP of Mi, let us know and maybe we can help out.

17. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

The calendar is starting to fill up. Being in the land of fruits and nuts you can find somewhere year round. November and December were busts for me.

San Simeon SP in a couple weeks
    Red Rock Canyon SP (Rally) in Feb
    Death Valley (Rally) in March
    Montana de Oro SP (Rally) in June
    North Rim Grand Canyon/Kaibab NF/WhoKnowsWhereElse in the summer. Originally we were going to go to Lassen NP & Crater Lake, OR but they are doing major maintenance at Lassen this year I guess. My annual trip with my best friend and his family. This might turn into a 2000 mile trip depending on how much we branch out to go hiking. So many beautiful places to see in SW (AZ/UT).

I need to fill in April and (early) May.

18. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

I want to say I'm going to ease into this, but when I started thinking about it, I have a pretty ambitious schedule.

First Camp Driveway is this weekend—maybe at the pond at the inlaws' farm (about a mile away), more likely in the woods between our driveway and the road. No hookups (not close, anyway), but I have coolers and a lantern.

If I can get my act together quickly enough, and we get a relatively warm weekend, we'll go to War Hill Park (on Lake Lanier) next month. All the sites are no-hookups, but about half are pull-through and the only electric stuff we have are lights and a fridge. We'll use a cooler; If I don't have a battery rigged by then, I can bring the lantern and some LED stickup lights along. We might do some more outings there or other Lanier sites through spring, time/weather permitting.

June or July is going to be our biggie. We have a membership at a resort in Helen GA, including a timeshare condo. They have a campground on site, $20/nite member rate for full hookups. My current thought is to spend a week in the PUP then the next in the condo. We'll likely do some 2-3 day weekends through the summer, preferably at nearby sites with hookups (gotta have that A/C in Planet Georgia summers).

Fall should be interesting. Temps didn't really cool down until mid-October this year, and it can do anything in November here, weather-wise. We might turn on the A/C one day and the heat the next. By then, I hope to be confident enough in the setup to consider a longer trip. Maybe to Tybee Island. The campground there is pricey, but it's close to the beaches and pretty well-appointed. If Mason has a soccer game in Hiawassee come fall, we might see about overnighting at Trackrock or one of the national forest sites.

December is pretty crazy, so we won't have the chance to do more than Camp Driveway from Thanksgiving until next January.

19. Fischymom

Fischymom Active Member

Nothing major May or June my sister and her DH are coming to Nebraska and we are camping at Rock Creek then in Aug or Sept we are going to head I north. My sister talked about Fort Robinson (Neb) maybe.

20. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

Only 1 trip planned so far. Montana de Oro (rally) in June. My yearly weekend at Hurkey Creek on Columbus day went up in flames. Maybe next year when some of it grows back.