What Do I Need Besides Hitch

Discussion in 'Etrailer.com Trailers and Towing Forum' started by Nani2, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Tennessee
    I talked to a person at the place where we looked at a camper and they quoted $750 and told me I was getting a great deal on hitch work including a hitch, sway, 7 way plug, brake controller, receiver, ball, and wiring. They do not do transmission coolers.
    I went to U Haul today and got a bid of $675 for a class 3 hitch, brake control, transmission cooler, a LED 4 flat powered converter flat end??, wiring, and 4 hours labor. They said they do not do sway control.
    Is the LED 4 flat like the 7 way plug but less?
    Should I pay a little more and have the dealer do the hitch then would U Haul do just the trans cooler for about $150?
    Or is there a way to add sway to the U Haul work?
    If I want airbags, where do I get that work done? And on minivan rated for 3500 looking at camper 2000-2300 do I need WD? The hitch says it has WD not sure if it's sufficient.
    We fill our gas tank and check oil, tires, and fluids and take cars in for everything else. Not handy.

2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Curious as to why you think you need sway control since you haven't pulled a camper.
    You say the camper you are looking at is 2200-2300 lb. Where did this figure come from? I hope that you are not using the weight the salesperson quoted. Somewhere on the left front side of the camper there should be a sticker listing weights. Don't look at the dry weight, this is the weight of the unit without anything, no propane, no battery, no water. Decal should list the max weight that the unit can carry. This will include water, propane, battery and your camping gear.
    Will the camper and van support a WD hitch? What is the tongue weigh of the camper? What is the max tongue weight that the van can carry?

kitphantom likes this.
  3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    I would trust the dealer to give you the correct wiring and ball mount height to match your trailer. Have the dealer do the work. The hitch may say its rated for the addition of a weight distribution hitch but would not be the weight distribution hitch itself. If you have a light trailer and is loaded correctly a separate sway control may not be needed and/or if you add a weight dist hitch to your trailer it may have a sway control built in. Get the hitch, socket, brake controller and ball mount from the dealer and go from there.

kitphantom likes this.
  4. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    What are you towing with, and what are you towing?
    Many vehicles now have the trailer wiring built in, and most hitches now are a bolt on affair.
    Think it took 10 minutes to put the hitch on my wife's Volvo, just a few bolts per side.

If the person trying to sell you a service goes to the trouble of telling you what a great deal you're getting.
    You're probably not getting a very good deal.

xxxapache likes this.
  5. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Tennessee
    I have a 2017 Toyota Sienna and am looking at a popup 2000-2300 lbs dry. Am checking yellow stickers on doors.
    Yes I agree on second paragraph LOL.

6. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Tennessee
    That's where I'm leaning but I also want the transmission cooler. Would like to get everything I need done in one place.

7. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Tennessee
    This is all new to us and we are trying to cover all the bases for safety and sway is a concern.
    I'm checking yellow sticker on door for weight or online info. I don't plan on loading max weight--will be primarily weekend trips for now with longer ones later.

8. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    A 5K lb rated hitch is only $118, and seems to be an easy install. No drilling required.
    A 4 flat wiring connector harness is less than $60. Brake controllers are a bit more.
    I'd shop around or strongly consider doing some of this work yourself. Most of this stuff isn't really as hard as folks think it is.

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    U haul moves stuff for a living. They have experience with towing stuff. They rent it every day! Many people with trailers recommend them to do quality work. Just my experience .

Orchid likes this.
  10. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

You probably don't need WD and your van may specifically say not to use that, check the owner's manual. It's likely that you don't need sway controller either. If you decide to add that later, it's an easy DIY for even the most unhandy of people.

Wherever you decide to go, have them put in a wiring harness that has both 4 flat and 7 pin on one, since you don't own a camper yet. Like this.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    Sjm9911 and Raycfe like this.
  11. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area

12. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Tennessee
    What is the 4 flat and 7 pin for? Sometimes I think we just need to stay in our tent!!!!

13. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Tennessee
    Van 4600 camper 2300 max = 6900 TGCW is 8900. I don't think we and our stuff add up to a ton. I'm trying to stay under 8000 total and that should be easy.

14. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Sounds like the price is high. The controller is really easy to install, they have a cable that just plugs into the wiring harness under the dash, made up for just about any controller and vehicle. You do not know if you need a sway controller yet, if you do (and a lot of people do not need one) you can buy one from HF and install it yourself. The hitch is not that hard to install and any mechanics shop can install as if made for the TV most do not require drilling, just bolt it up to the holes already in the frame. The 7 pin can be a little of a problem, and you can get the 7 pin with a 4 flat connector on the side of it.

15. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    If your popup is going to have electric breaks you are going to probably need the 7 pin as the 4 pin would not operate electric breaks. If your popup does not have electric breaks you do not need to worry about a break controller or 7 pin. I agree don't worry about sway or weight distribution hitch quite yet. Just get you vehicle set to tow, try it for a while and see how it does and if you find you need sway bar you can get it done anywhere.

Orchid likes this.
  16. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Tennessee
    If Uhaul quoted a 4 pin and a brake controller do they know what they are doing?
    Is it overkill to say I would rather have sway control and not need it than to find out I need if but don't have it? My van and the camper are nearly $50,000 combined so $100 to protect seems worth it to me. And the occupants are worth more. Am I wrong?

17. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    The brake controller won't work with a flat 4 connector, needs a 7 pin. You need to verify what Uhaul is quoting.

Neither price seems unreasonable to me. Hold off on the sway control until you know whether you need weight distribution.

Orchid likes this.
  18. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    They might be quoting a price on what you told them you want, 4 pin, vs 7 pin. Smaller lighter trailors might not have brakes. So it depends on what you asked them to do.

chartle likes this.
  19. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Tennessee
    I didn't ask for either 4 or 7, but my quote shows a brake control and one hour labor to install.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  20. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    They might not know your needs. Like exactly what you plan on hauling now, or in the future.