What do you do re mattresses?

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by lkc, Feb 7, 2018.

1. lkc

lkc Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    Hello all---I don't believe I will never be able to sleep just on the 4" hard as a rock "foam" mattresses that is in my NTM PUP. It's awful. . . and I wouldn't want to have anyone else have to sleep on them either. So asking here for ideas that won't involve spending $150-$300 per bunk end for new mattresses--I'm on a budget.

Has anyone used an eggcrate type foam topper just on top of the stock mattresses and was it comfortable? I need to have mattresses that do have some support, but comfy too--like a pillow top mattress.

or have you completely gotten rid of the stock mattress and used an air mattress?

I found lots of options here: foambymail.com

TIA for any suggestions/info:)

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    We use a three inch memory foam topper on top of the stock mattress. I sleep like a baby on that. I've heard of others putting the lock-together foam ergo mats under the mattress as well.

Nick Nichols likes this.
  3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We put 2" memory foam on top of the original mattress in ours. That's all that would fit under roof when closed . Memory foam does get firm in cold weather and softens as body heat warms it up, Some complain about it being hot in hot weather, but a good mattress pad too care of that for us.
    If we had kept that popup, we would have had to replace the original mattress within a couple of years. Our plan was to use our Therm-a-rest mattresses under the memory foam.
    To determine how much space you have to work with: "tissue box test" - put an empty tissue box or one of similar weight cardboard on the top of the bunk. Close up the camper, open it, and the squashed height of the box is the space you have to work with - allow for any bedding that stays on the bunk. (We had to remove all but the mattress pad and bottom sheet- hence the request from my husband for "a bed that stays made up" when we went to a TT, making the bed is his job.)

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    For me I just use one of my old camping pads under my existing mattress and this works for me. Although I'm used to sleeping on the hard ground in a tent so not as picky as some. My little side kick sometimes used the egg foam type topper but doesnt bother using it on short trips. Just an extra thing for her to bring. With the sleeping pad and existing mattress I'm able to keep the beds made with a thin blanket. If we use the mattress topper I have to take it off before I close the camper up. That is something you have to keep in mind before you buy a new mattress is how much room you have when closing up do you have before it hits the roof. Anything taller you may have to take off before you close up.

5. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

We use a futon mattress and a foam topper. The topper does need to be removed for closing the roof.

6. ezakoske

ezakoske Member

Nov 30, 2014
    We put an inexpensive egg-crate foam topper on ours and it seems fine. We also leave it on all the time.

7. cyndib

cyndib New Member

Aug 9, 2016
    Arnold, Missouri
    We use a 2"memory foam topper and are able to leave it on all the time. Very comfy.

8. Sneezer

Sneezer Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Your options are limited. Check your clearance first - your pup may not support much extra thickness on the mattress. Put an empty Kleenex box on the bunk just before you drop the roof the final foot or so and latch it closed. Then open it back up and measure the thickness of the squashed box - that is how much room you have to work with. Depending on how your canvas has to be folded you may also have thinner areas, so check everything you can.

I have a foam topper (not memory foam) that I got from Walmart on clearance. It was a king size topper, and I had to trim it to fit - an electric knife works great for this. I think it was 2.5" but I can't really remember. I also put the interlocking foam mats from Costco on the bunk below the mattress. Heated mattress pad and a waterproof mattress cover finish it up. Right now I am at the upper limit of my ability to close the roof, and there are times when I have to pop it back up to rearrange the canvas, and then close it up. It still requires a fair bit of effort to close as well, even after letting the roof sit on the mattress and slowly compress.

Eventually I plan to get a quilted mattress cover as well if I can figure out the perfect way to gather the canvas so it will fit a little easier.

I sleep quite comfortably on my bunk.

9. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    If you have not bought updated mattress foam since 2007, the time is right now to buy it. There are a few new laws on memory foam since 2007. I was told by Berekley's RV. I would buy 4 inch foam mattress, the bottom 2 inches would be hard in density and top 2 would be soft.

10. DJS12354

DJS12354 Active Member

We've gone the route of anti-fatigue mat squares under the mattress and two-inch memory foam topper. This is working so far for us. I may try adding a second topper to see if it improves things. Lucky for me, my sister works for a foam manufacturer and I get the toppers for an amazing price.

11. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Active Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Chicago suburbs
    We have 2 layers of anti-fatigue foam tiles under our stock 4 inch mattress and it's pretty good. Although my issue was opposite of yours - the mattress was too soft. I sleep on my side usually and my hip bone would just go right down to the plywood. The foam tiles provide a great firmer base underneath. I would like a topper too, but we don't have the clearance (the 1 inch of foam just barely fits) and I don't want to mess around with taking it on and off.

12. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2013
    San Diego
    Our 'hard as rock' foam mattresses were terrible as well, and this was a brand new camper, [:(!]

Definitely do the tissue box test to see how much room you have for a topper.
    I got a CL 2" memory foam topper for the king sized bed (I think I got it for $80 on CL, but they are really expensive at the stores or Amazon for this size). It was still not a comfortable mattress but a little better. I like keeping our beds made up so the roof needed to be able to close over memory foam and bedding. I next got a 4" topper (this time new from Ebay, so at a discount), and it stressed the latches on the roof when trying to close, so I just got rid of the hard foam mattress entirely (not an easy task because it was a Queen sized 4" slab of hard thick closed cell foam). When I pulled it out of it's coverings, it was ridiculous that they used this material for a mattress. Anyway, I then covered the wood with those interlocking foam pieces from Lowes and put the 4" memory foam on top. This is by far the most comfortable and affordable solution that I found for me. We hardly ever sleep on the King side bed now, and If I am camping with friends, I let them choose. They always choose the Full/Queen bed for comfort.

13. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    We have almost zero clearance on our PUP. We can't even leave blankets on the mattress ends to fold down.

But, we use a very inexpensive 2" egg crate topper from Wal Mart to good effect. We do have to take it out of the PUP, but my DW really sleeps better with it. I have to admit, it IS more comfortable, but I don't find the stock mattress in my 1996 Jayco all that bad.

14. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    My Apache had no clearance for thicker mattresses. The originals were thin to begin with. We used a cheap egg crate and then put a fitted sheet over the pair. We used the egg crate for padding for the flat screen TV when traveling.

15. Rockhound1

Rockhound1 New Member

Mar 18, 2018
    We put carpet padding under our mattrsses and foam toppers on top, we recently purchased a 2.5 inch memory foam for one bed but haven't had the opportunity to put it on yet. We also put the mattresses and toppers inside a hypo-allrgenic covers to help keep them together plus we had to remove the original mattress covers.

16. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    I've seen several people mention that memory foam is too hard/too hot. Why not put the memory foam underneath the factory mattress? That would give you the benefit of the added foam, but wouldn't be as hard at first. Additionally, it wouldn't be too hot, as the factory mattress would breathe normally. Seems like a good solution to a common complaint, but I don't have any to try this with.

Rockhound1 likes this.
  17. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Mt Pleasant, MI
    As others have mentioned, as a side-sleeper I always find my hips uncomfortably sore on our bunk. I've tried a bunch of things, and have settled on anti fatigue mats under the mattress, a memory foam topper on top of the mattress, and in cold weather, an additional feather bed on top of the memory foam (that's the only situation where I actually sleep well when camping).

I recently saw a post where someone (sorry, I don't remember who) posted that they inflate a queen sized air mattress UNDER the stock mattress and it's wonderful. I'll definitely be trying this out on our next camping trip.

FWIW, before we bought our camper we were able to spend a few nights in my in-laws' camper - they had several layers of egg crate on the bunk and I slept like a baby. Granted, that was in the days I was accustomed to sleeping in a tent on the ground.

18. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    It depends on personal sleep needs, and the mattress in the camper. The mattresses in our popups were all foam mattresses, which aren't really cooler than memory foam, except that a body can sink into memory foam. In our case, we both sleep best with a very firm under layer, with the memory foam topper that allows hips, shoulders etc. to sink just enough to keep the spine straight when side-sleeping. Putting the memory foam under the foam mattress would be of no use.
    The original, and odd, mattress in our travel trailer was 4 or 5 " thick, so memory foam under that would be wasted. We added 3" memory foam, trying to make that mattress work, but ended up replacing the mattress with 2" firm foam from the same store we bought foam for replacement cushions and mattress when we renovated our first pup. We had 2" memory foam on the bed in the second pup, and the same at home, the 3" is actually not quite as good for me, but it works.
    If we had kept our second pup, we planned to use our Therm-a-rest mattresses under the memory foam, replacing the original foam. It would bridge the space between the two (even with a "couple kit' there is a dip), and the Therm-a-rests can be adjusted for firmness by the amount of air added.

19. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    We use our inflatable camping pads (Therm-a-rest) under a 3" foam, mattress topper. Those are zipped into a mattress cover to keep it all from sliding out of place. End result is a very comfortable, 5" thick mattress.

20. Lumbergodd

Lumbergodd Member

May 20, 2016
    You'd be surprised at how much of a difference 1"of memory foam makes. I was concerned that too much foam would make the top too hard to close so I went with the 1" . If I ever find a good deal I may go to 2" but I'm happy now.