What do you expect when attending a Rally

Discussion in 'General Rally Info' started by canuckblues, Jul 7, 2015.

What do you expect when you attend a rally

Poll closed Dec 4, 2015.
  1. Organized games for both Adults and Children

13.6%
  2. Pot Luck Dinner

84.1%
  3. Nightly Themed Camp fires

27.3%
  4. Day time meetups on specfic topics eg.Camp cooking,Tow vehicles ,trailer types,DO etc

31.8%
  5. Be left alone to do my own thing

72.7%
  6. Trips to local places of interest

31.8%
  7. Welcome BBQ

34.1%
  8. Pancake Breakfast

22.7%
  1. canuckblues

canuckblues Member

Jun 30, 2012
    Rather than spend our whole day reading and writing about what we expect from a rally
    I have created a poll with a list of possible activities for the group
    This list is not the last word but will give the organizers a better idea of what members want
    Without revealing who they are

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    You missed "sitting around all day and sipping pineapple juice and look at the green moving tree leaves" .. [:D]

3. canuckblues

canuckblues Member

Jun 30, 2012
    Wouldn`t that be

Be left alone to do my own thing

Information on what member expect can be used to improve a rally
    I think will see more than one Ontario rally in the coming years
    But you need to know what is expected
    Nice work on the corporate side by the way

4. Kawartha-Camper

Kawartha-Camper New Member

Aug 31, 2013
    Just my two cents but I think we should try and leave it as unstructured as possible.. I mean the potluck is a no brainer but camping is everyone's happy place , don't wanna mess to much with that. Again just my thoughts but if you start adding to much stuff to it , I may aswell attend a KOA ( not that there is anything wrong with that but not my cup of tea) . One thing I think should be on that poll and added to the rally is a potluck breakfast or pancake breakfast

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    I agree, unstructured or minimally structured seems to be working .. Folks can go day tripping around the area, laze around the beach or hangout around a fire at a campsite ..

A pancake breakfast is something to think about, but it has to be kept simple, no elaborate creations...

6. Kawartha-Camper

Aug 31, 2013
    Well a pancake breakfast is as simple and easy as it gets , maybe add some waffles in there .. Our Belgium waffle maker is something we always carry along with us on trips

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    By simple I ment plain boring pancakes, no adding fruit or stuff ... Waffles would work too ..

8. Kawartha-Camper

Aug 31, 2013
    I agree adding fruit to everyone's pancakes could become pretty costly!

9. canuckblues

canuckblues Member

Jun 30, 2012
    I don`t think cost would be the real problem
    The individuals like or dislike for certain fruits would be the bigger obstacle.
    Food allergies to some fruits would have to be taken into account also
    The Gluten free option ,and low or no sugar alternatives would also have to be addressed.
    But it could be done
    I would be willing to give it a try

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Franklin, MA
    I like the community gathering idea. I can camp alone whenever I want. It's the idea of getting together and talking with like minded folks that would draw me to a rally. Specifically the Day Time gatherings for cooking, towing, electrics, etc etc etc. It's great to see how other folks do things. I've learned enough to know I don't know everything and would welcome the chance to see how other folks do things. Plus a big pancake breakfast would be great.

11. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    The Michigan Rally does a pancake breakfast to celebrate Fathers' Day on our day of departure. We use the large bag of mix that only requires water. We also serve juice and smokies (pre-cooked pkgs), and don't forget the butter, syrup, and set-ups. Sounds simple enough, but when you see the spread, it's crazy. Food shows up from out of nowhere---fruit for the pancakes (blueberries, strawberries), bacon, ham, fruit salads, coffee cakes, coffee, etc. It's a wonderful feast.

I will say that depending on your number of attendees, it is definitely work. In the past we used electric griddles/fry pans and kept blowing breakers. This year, Rocky Roo set up his propane 3 burner and it was a breeze. Despite the work, it is a wonderful way to wrap up a rally!

12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Only problem with doing stuff other then cooking and even that is an opinion.. is to really make a discussion on towing set ups worth while, you need to get someone to come in and talk (a so called expert from a local dealership).. Otherwise you may as well sit around like some of us did and discuss what brake controllers we have, what make of vehicle we have compared to what we are towing..

This is the sort of stuff those Good Sam tallies do/have .. While I am a member of GS and GS roadside assistance, I haven't nor am I planning on going to one of their rallies as I want to do what I want ..

By all means if the group calls for and wants guest speakers and someone steps up to arrange them then great .. go for it .. It's not my cup of tea..

13. Mamagoogins

Mamagoogins New Member

Jun 20, 2014
    I am very new to Pop Up camping and haven't been able to attend a rally yet. I plan on attending next year. For me, a breakfast on the last day would probably be a deal breaker unless it was done as a pot luck. I wouldn't want to put in that much work on the last morning before I have to break down for check out. That is me personally.

14. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Mama,
    I hope to meet you at a rally sometime! I agree with not having breakfast on the last day. Most of the parks I go to the check out is 11am, I barely get done packing by then! Nice idea though!

15. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

Oct 15, 2010
    We have moderated and also attended different rallies here and there and have never had one without a Potluck (and door prizes at a few at the potluck). I have moderated a couple where we have a welcome pancake breakfast (usually on a Friday a.m.) for the earlybirds, Saturday activities schedule that includes a morning cornhole tournament, children's scavenger hunt and crafts while the adults are playing cornhole, time left for each family to do what they want, and then the potluck gathering with door prizes and sitting around visiting everyone. It's up to each family to decide what they want to do during the rally -- with others or alone.
    Other rallies have been at parks where there is another activity off site (museum, festival, sightseeing, kayaking group,etc.) and then gathering for the Potluck.

It looks like there would be no "real" rally if there were no Potluck!! Food, fun, fire, folks. Some good "f" words of camping. [:D]

16. efehser

efehser New Member

Sep 3, 2012
    The potluck is the only thing I expect, other than to be left alone to do my own thing. It is nice to have options for those who like more structure, but even those should be kept simple. One of the early bird activities at my Halloween Rally was a Friday morning trip to breakfast and a local attraction (RV Hall of Fame the first year), strictly optional. I also do a meet and greet campfire on Friday night so names can be put with faces. it's a good time but again, stay as long as you want, don't be afraid to go back to your site and do what you want to do.

A pancake breakfast on the last day is certainly doable, and not too expensive when kept simple, but it helps to have someone willing and able to do it.

17. ShanegoDave

ShanegoDave Member

Feb 27, 2014
    My understanding of a rally usually consists of a simple meet and greet as you arrive, a scheduled potluck. One night. And a commutial bonfire if you choose to contibute , with a few SMALL doorprizes handed out by the wagonmaster, under ones own discretion.

18. Mrs-Kawartha-Camper

Mrs-Kawartha-Camper New Member

Jul 6, 2014
    Well after my DH heading up a rally here in Ontario for two years with great success and numbers almost tripling in the 2nd year, both rally's were kept simple. Meet and greet fire and a potluck. Some members I guess would like to see more ( I hear there is a private discussion about it ) but all in all , keeping it simple works for most especially those with young families

19. gruss

gruss Active Member

May 6, 2014
    Disclaimer: I've only been to one rally

This thread intrigues me, what "more" do they want to see? Now if they're volunteering to "do more" and someone shot them down...I guess that's sort of understandable. If someone just wants to be entertained all weekend...well maybe they should take a cruise?

I don't want my whole weekend consumed by things I may or may not enjoy. I liked efehser's rally at Pokagon, stuff to do to meet a couple people but able to yuck it up with my buddy I hadn't seen a quite a few years too.

20. FL_Bill

FL_Bill I'm cooking something yummy!

We have so much fun meeting new people and trying others DO meals...then the games and fun stuff...

I do not expect door prizes but they are fun! I still use every single one I got from other rallies.

Hoping some one will organize one I can attend soon....lol

I would do it but I would have a lot of people upset with my lack of planing skills....lol

Camp On

FL Bill