What do you guys use for grills?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by jm88, Jul 23, 2018.

1. jm88

jm88 Member

Feb 12, 2017
    This is the second year for us using the PUP and I am still learning what we actually use and what we don't use as far as packing so I can eventually cut down on the amount of stuff we bring! For example, I have found that using the stove from the PUP installed outside has been working great rather than using the portable stove. One thing I would like to hear is what kind of grills you use. I have a Coleman Roadtrip grill that I have had for probably 8-10 years and while I love the interchangeable grates and that it has a stand, it is rather heavy and takes up a lot of room. I put it on the floor of the PUP when we travel, so that part works OK, but mostly it doesn't seem to be working that great lately. One side is definitely hotter than the other because when I make pancakes, they take a lot longer on one side even when they are set at the same setting. I also notice when grilling, I can hold my hand on certain areas over the grate and be able to hold it there for a long time while other parts I can't even hold it there a second, so it is pretty uneven. I don't remember if it has always been this way or not. But back to the point, what kind of portable grills do you use that cook well? I tend to use it a lot for steaks, chicken, fish, etc. along with cooking pancakes, bacon, etc. on it.

2. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Active Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Houghton MI
    Well, we used a simple Coleman, 2 burner white gas stove. But i should add, meat is generally cooked over da camp fire.

3. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    I have a 2 burner Coleman(propane), small square 1 burner Coleman(Butane), a Jet Boil, & a small Weber charcoal grill, sometimes use the fire/coals for foil dishes...the 1 burner Coleman & the Jet Boil I always bring, the other 2 see limited use depending on how long & # of people, usually just the wife & I...***Cast iron skillet is ever present...

4. NorcrossFlyer

NorcrossFlyer Member

Oct 26, 2015
    North Georgia
    I have a Camp Chef Explorer and got a cast iron 2-sided griddle for it. Packs up nice and gets hotter than a blow torch.

Rik Peery likes this.
  5. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    My pup came with a grill that attaches to the side of the camper, but I don't like to grill so close to the fabric so I use a Weber Portable grill.

J Starsky likes this.
  6. J Starsky

J Starsky Active Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    I've got a fleet of three cooking options. A Coleman Grillin' Griddle (cira 2000s), Coleman 2 burner, and lastly whatever portable grill I haven't broken yet. Newest was $12 closeout in winter Menards clearance - and I've already broken both handles :grin: We've never used the propane in the pup, and the dark side camper will never see food cooked, maybe prepped, unless I decide a birthday cake is required! We were talking about a crockpot in the TT...

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I got a cheap char broil portable propane grill for 30 bucks. Probubly will not be great , but it's compact. I do have a iron grate for over the fire pit, but it's to much of a pita to use. Grill is untested.......

8. cam_1100

cam_1100 Member

May 10, 2018
    Rochester, MN
  9. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    San Luis Obispo
    +1 for the Camp Chef and we also use a Blackstone table top 17" griddle. Never used the inside stove.

myride likes this.
  10. DanLee

DanLee Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Virginia
    I use the inside stove when it's cold, but generally cook outside on a Coleman 426 (white gas three burner). If there's a grill at the campsite, I use that with charcoal or set up a folding grill over a pile of charcoal. Sometimes I'll take a Weber Go-Anywhere propane grill if I know there's a fire ban.

11. DerekCamperDad

DerekCamperDad New Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Calgary, AB. Canada
    +1 for the Camp Chef too.

One half has a cast iron griddle, other has their BBQ box. Has worked great so far. I also have a couple of Coleman dual propane burner stoves, Coleman single burner and a Cuisinart All Foods Rollaway. Still figuring out what works best for us. I like the Camp Chef the best, but it is a bit of a pain due to us usually camping in bear territory which means it needs to be packed up after every use. Mostly likely we'll stick with the Camp Chef and maybe the single burner as back up.

Only used the inside stove to heat up water when the kids needed a wipe down before bed.

myride likes this.
  12. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Active Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Houghton MI
    Our little camper puts space at a premium when looking at all the stoves other folks bring along, although we do like to eat well...:)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  13. Shaman1

Shaman1 Active Member

May 13, 2011
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    I have a "Walkabout Grill" that I always take. Anything else is based on where I'm camping and which camper I'm in.

14. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    I have a Weber Q100 (Now called the Q1000) and it’s great.

durhamcamper and hq308 like this.
  15. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

We do all the cooking outside. Use a Coleman stove that has been converted to propane and a small footprint gas grill purchased from WalMart.

16. jm88

jm88 Member

Feb 12, 2017
    Wow, so many great ideas. Thank you! I do notice a lot of those Camp Chefs at the campground but wasn't really sure how they worked. I looked them up briefly and see all the different accessories you can get so that looks pretty nice. They sure seem pretty popular. I also see a lot of the Roadtrip grills like I have and the tabletop Weber Q. Maybe I'll check one of my burners and see if it is clogged or something. I only have more trip planned this year so maybe I will look into new things for next season. Can you grill a steak pretty nicely on the reversible griddle/grill for the Camp Chef? Does it fold up/set up/clean up pretty easily?

17. Wecamp04

Wecamp04 Member

Sep 14, 2014
    I have a bunch of different grills,really depends who and where we go as to what I take, my camp chef weekender is my favorite.

18. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I use a camp chef weekender, Weber q1200, Coleman Road Trip and a Coleman Eventemp stove. All but the Eventemp have been adapted to run off the low pressure quick connect on the camper. I also use a tee with extension lines off the tank for high pressure stuff.

I got rid of the inside stove to reclaim counter space.

Try blowing out your burners. They may be clogged a little. If you did a lot of grilling they may also be clogged with food bits.

19. myride

myride Well-Known Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    I also use the camp chef pro 90 model along with the camp chef grill that sits on top of it.....as for a griddle.....camp chef cast iron again.
    May be a bit bulky and a tad heavy but they all ride in their own bags inside my Utah and I'm never shot of space.....if you know the Coleman Utah they are natorious for lack of space.

20. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Either the campfire or rvq for the meats, and camp stove for everything else. Very little cooking done inside. Mabey some biscuits or cookies in the oven.