What do you tow with?

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Rinstah, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Rinstah

Rinstah New Member

Sep 4, 2017
    DH and I are looking at upgrading our 8' Coachmen Clipper popup with a Sportsmen Hybrid wth three pop outs. We need to purchase a new tow vehicle to do so but we are conflicted. We want an SUV but depending on what read some say it's fine others disagree and say you need a truck. I thought I'd ask others what they tow with.

ccpopup likes this.
  2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    How much does the Hybrid weigh?

3. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
  4. Rinstah

Rinstah New Member

Sep 4, 2017
    The one we looked at weighed 3191lbs. We have three kids plus DH and I and our 100lb dog.

We've test driven the Nissan Pathfinder, Hyundai Santa Fe XL and the Toyota Highlander. We also tried the 4Runner but it was a little out of our price range.

5. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    I would suggest that which ever TV you decide to get to make sure it has the factory tow package. 5 people and a large dog I would want a full size SUV, but that is just me. Good luck on what ever you decide on.

6. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    Don't worry too much about the towing capacity; that's what the TV can safely tow and stop. Need to worry more about the load limit on the TV.
    You have two adults, three kids a large dog. Since I'm assuming you don't want the dog sitting on the passenger's or kid's laps for a long trip, you need space in the rear; not only for the dog, but also for other items such as clothes, food, etc., so that implies a decent size SUV. (Unless you plan on a camper shell on a truck, a truck might not be the best TV; however, large SUVs are based on truck frames.)

So, you need to know approximately how much everything you load into the vehicle weighs (humans, dog, estimated food, clothing bags, etc.) then add in the trailer's tongue weight and find a vehicle that can handle that load (in fact handle a larger load since it always seems that things weigh more on the scales than on the excel spreadsheet.:eek:)

Then when you find TVs that can easily handle the load, look at the towing capability. I believe most that can handle a fairly decent size load will easily tow a 3100 lbs trailer.

http://www.rvuniversity.com/staticpages/index.php/Matching_Tow_Trailer_101

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    WunFiddy and Zipppitydoodah like this.
  7. Bigdognkitten

Bigdognkitten New Member

Jul 18, 2015
    I roll a Nissan Titan, pulled my 27 foot travel trailer, golf cart in the back, 2 adults, 2 teens, and our golden retriever no problem.

8. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I bet a Nissan Titan loaded with a golf cart, 4 people, a dog, and a 27 ft trailer on the ball is loaded over it's payload rating, too, unless it is one of the new XD models.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    WunFiddy likes this.
  9. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    I saw a guy in a F150 with a fifth wheel, pulling a 2 vehicle toy hauler pulling (VERY SLOWLY) out of a campground east of Cody one time. Doesn't mean something cannot pull a certain trailer, it depends on if you can pull it smart.

Technically, I'm sure a Suburu can pull the trailer the OP mentioned and his family could fit inside. Does not mean it will be comfortable or logical. But I believe most of us want to give the OP some legitimate information on maximum load limits of tow vehicles.

Any my Sierra can be loaded with a golf cart, four adults two large dogs and pull the same size trailer; however, it sure will be not fun in the mountains. And in the OP's case, there are three in the backseat and a large dog....where does the dog sit?

10. Rinstah

Rinstah New Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Currently we tow our 8' PUP with our Mitsubishi Outlander. The kids in the back seat and puppy in the trunk. Everything else goes in the trailer. We've got it down to a system. We are able to pack the stove, BBQ, clothing, cooler, lawn chairs, blankets, beach toys etc in the trailer. It's tight but doable.

DH and I are more worried about sway factor and the ability to get up the mountain we have to cross to go to one particular campground we like to visit. The rest of the time we camp we usually go to a park about 15-20 minutes away or we go 4-5hrs away (mostly highway).

I suspect our people weight and dog would be roughly 550lbs.

We've looked at vehicles that have a 60/40 split in the third row so our dog can lay on that next to one of the kids.

11. Bigdognkitten

Bigdognkitten New Member

Jul 18, 2015
    It also had an equaliser hitch. It was a Layton Skyline 247, dry weight just under 4000 pounds. Titan towing capacity is 9400 pounds.

12. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Towing capacity is one thing. Payload is another. What is the payload of your Titan?... I am guessing about 1600 lbs if it's not an XD model and seats 4 people.

WunFiddy likes this.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Franklin, MA
    I tow a 25ft Starcraft hybrid with a 2011 Ford Expedition 5.4L. The trailer MAXES out at 6500lbs. The truck can tow 9000. Even loaded to it's GVWR and 5 people in the truck it's not over the trucks rating.
    The weight of the trailer isn't the problem. It's the constant aerodynamic drag of towing the trailer at interstate speed. Even the 5.4L works hard towing at 65
    Maybe one of the newer V6s could tow it since it's so light. But it's going to work hard.

14. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    Tow with a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. It's the old body on frame model, not the crossover one. 5 of us and the camper weighs about 3k loaded. Tow capacity is 6k. We don't put anything in the TV except a cooler and us.

However we are contemplating a 4 door truck since both of our vehicles our getting old.

15. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Syracuse, NY
    My hybrid weighs in at a 4500 lbs loaded. The tongue weight is about 550 lbs. We tow with a Toyota Tundra full size truck. I also have a Dodge Durango suv that can tow the hybrid (on paper). I can tell you that it is much more difficult to tow with the Durango, more sway and the suv struggles at times, even though the Durango is rated to tow 6000 lbs. If your hybrid is only about 3200 lbs loaded, then an suv such as a Durango can tow it. If it is in the range of what we have, an suv will tow it, but it will be more difficult and sway a little more.

shuang2 likes this.
  16. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    What weight is this? The weight as it sits on the dealer's lot or the max weight that the trailer can weigh? With 3 bunks that is probably the dry weight. Will weight lots more when you put your stuff in it.

shuang2 likes this.
  17. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
  18. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Iowa
    I tow behind a 2014 GMC Sierra half-ton. It's the cab and a half model and has the factory tow package. Gross weight on my 99 Coleman Bayside is 3250 lbs (dry is 2600 lbs... one of these days I should put it on a scale loaded to see how close I am...) and the tow capacity on the truck is 12,500 lbs.

19. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Aug 28, 2012
    SW Montana
    Every time we go for a road trip, my wife compliments me on our newest purchase, a Ford Excursion. There isn't a more spacious AND capable tow vehicle ever made, at least, not from the factory. Granted, they haven't been built since 2005, but deals can be found if you know what to look for.

20. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    I would totally love to have an excursion...except they are rust buckets around here and it definitely won't fit in my garage.