What do you tow with?

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Rinstah, Sep 4, 2017.

1. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

2. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Crackerjack knows this well. Some campers had something heavy installed in WRONG place inside so it causes swaying no matter what.

3. jnc

The reason I say this is because my 2000 Mesa tows like a dream. There cant be that much difference between them.

4. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    The dual lp tanks and dual 6v GC batteries on the tongue provide plenty of tongue weight.

Some years of Mesa’s, Bayside’s and Utah’s are known to have sway issues due to the floor plan.

I have got it down pat on the optimal way to load it. Subtle changes can make a big difference. It’s really not too bad with a bigger TV and a anti sway bar.

5. jnc

I got ya. I can see the cuz all the big stuff is on the drivers side. I must have gotten luck when I first loaded it up cuz the only problem I had towing was when the brakes were locking up on a trip to Maine a few years ago. I was getting a nice bounce going. I was a good thing I was using the F350 & not the Explorer.

6. GreatBigAbyss

GreatBigAbyss Active Member

Apr 12, 2017
    Manitoba
    I tow with a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan with the 3.6L Pentastar V6. When towing our 2400lb (loaded) Pony, I average about 10L/100kms, which is about 23MPG. When I have a canoe on the roof of the trailer, and bikes on the roof of the van, that drops down to about 13L/100km (18MPG).

I really love all the space inside the van. We fit ourselves and our two kids in the first two rows. The 2nd row stow and go bins are where I keep all our lifejackets, bike helmets, etc. In the back of the van (with 3rd row folded) go: 2 more bikes and a bike trailer, 2 large coolers (one with dry food, the other with refreshments), our Rubbermaid drawers filled with clothes, and any other misc items that I have forgotten to pack inside the trailer.

Fully loaded like this, the van pulls no problem out on the highway. Rear suspension sag is a bit of an issue, but I'm solving that this spring by installing these: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B001TNBT3E/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB. On flat ground, the V6 will hold 6th gear without any problem and return stellar fuel economy. Once we get into the hills, I need to use the manumatic to shift down to 5th or 4th in anticipation of long uphill grades, in order to keep our speed. However, not once has the van not been able to maintain 100kph.

When we go to Banff, we will pack light on purpose, both because we'll be driving in mountains, AND to promote decent fuel economy on our 3000km round trip.

tow vehicle.jpg

RugerRedhawk likes this.
  7. bikendan

bikendan Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Just a minor point.
    The OP posted started this thread in the Hybrid section and asked about what members were towing their hybrids with, since they are looking to move AWAY from a popup to a hybrid.

Yet a lot of posts are about what members are towing their popups with.[?:~{]
    Not sure how that is helping the OP.

8. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

Oct 28, 2016
    Gloucester, Virginia
    . . .Five pages of responses primarily from people with pop-ups in 'Pop-Up Portal.' Go figure. . . [LOL]?!

[2C]: Yep, I'm guilty [:!]. I can't speak for Rinstah; only for my contribution offering him assistance. Neglecting any wind friction coefficient, finding a consensus for reliable towing vehicles, or just confirmation of his own towing vehicle, might be worthwhile.
    --Since every car/truck manufacturer proclaims THEIR vehicle is better than all the others, they all can't be what they claim to be. And that knowledge, might just be 'priceless.'
    --Heck, most of us are just claiming bragging rights to what we tow with :rolleyes:, anyway.
    Nevertheless it is a very successful thread! I hope it has served Rinstah well.

Rinstah likes this.
  9. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    I just dug a 25 year old tent from Walmart out of my garage. I will be hauling it with a diesel f350 pickup truck. I might need airbags.

:)

NMroamer likes this.
  10. jnc

That's the light model you'll be fine. If it was more like 40-50 yrs old than you will need helpers just to get it in the truck![:D]

11. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Is it a dually with gas engine..

12. RugerRedhawk

RugerRedhawk Member

Jul 17, 2015
    There are plenty of SUVs capable of towing that, but you'll want something bigger than a pathfinder.

13. mrkrag

mrkrag Active Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Palm Harbor, FL
  14. davido

davido Active Member

Jul 17, 2014
    Yes, the Explorer has electronic anti-sway. It works great. The one time I felt it engage, it did so so quickly that it wasn't until after it happened that I realize the trailer was wanting to sway. It was on a gusty day, in a turn, on a fast freeway.
    Nevertheless, it seems good to prevent sway before the vehicle's sensors decide it needs correcting. My trailer tows like a dream, but additional margin of safety is a good thing.

15. Halford

Sep 28, 2011
    Perfecto!

16. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    This thread may have originated as a HTT question, but it is hugely helpful to all. This and the other thread about TV suitability.
    I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has a problem with keeping one eye out for "better" solutions......easier, bigger if not lighter or faster. I've also become sort of a camper flipper. Not on purpose, I just keep seeing things that are just too cool to pass up. By then we've fixed everything and made improvements on the last purchase, and it just seems we could sell it so easily and "get this other one." I thought this last mess of the bad roof cured me, but I find myself drawn to something we could take road trips in with less set up time.
    Well I'm going to stop right now, or at least until we have to have a memorial service for our Rialta. I think out little pop up is perfect for towing with our grand caravan and for camping in. We will drive the Rialta across the country this fall, and if she passes the 200,000 mile mark, we will have a good trip. Then think about what's next.
    Until then, we are going camping as much and as many places as we can. Retirement is SO nice!

HAHA! I just saw this thread, and I'm editing to eat my words. yep, we have a new camper, the pop up is sold, and I'm ready to sell the rialta. We bought a 2006 fun finder T139, and I really think it is perfect for us. I would never go out on a limb and suggest towing with a minivan, but we have gone on two trips with this little trailer towing with our 15 grand caravan. trailer is light, we weighed it at 2100# with water, propane and battery. our GC limit is 3600# We've gone up steep curvey mountain roads, driven though hellacious winds and the van is doing fine.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    jnc likes this.
  17. wusthof

wusthof Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    I believe the fords only come with away control if it has the factory tow pkg. I saw one in a flex and looked hokey at best. I have the 2516 and the ecobeast flex..... I also put in a tek brake controller and got a 600lb wd hitch

18. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Poconos
    A2479318-1513-4618-855C-AE79405FB460.jpeg

19. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    I know there are a lot of very good tow vehicles ,here is my $.02.
    Until recently I have been towing pop ups all over New Mexico for the last eight years with a Toyota Tacoma.
    Now I am towing a TT and doing just fine.

20. Halford

Sep 28, 2011
    that's what I have and I trust my TV that could pull the Niagara up in California mountains. I went over Grapevine and Big Bear mountains with zero problems. Any good mid-size SUV with TOW PACKAGE could tow popups but not Highwalls though.