What final tent-camping event drove you into a pop-up?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Dback2k4, May 2, 2018.

1. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Iowa
    What last tent camping event made you decide to quit tent-camping and buy a pop-up?

Mine was a steady progression for a while, but the "I've had it moment" was after 2 back-to-back trips. The first weekend an unexpected storm brewed up and I woke up in the middle of the night to a river flowing under my tent which soaked my duffel bag and all my formerly dry clothes. Packed up the next morning in PJs and went home. The second weekend promised drier weather, so I went out again. This time, my 40lb dog decided in the dead of the night that he didn't want to sleep on the ground beside me and was going to climb up on the cot with me. He tipped the thing over and we both went crashing to the ground.

I started researching pop-up trailers the next day....

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I just got tired of having to deal with a zipper every time you go in or out. Not to mention trying to cram all our gear into the Explorer was getting very OLD. We got the Pup from my brother when I asked him if I could borrow it for a November trip He told me to keep it.

Adina*Moo, Az_Ray_X, Orchid and 3 others like this.
  3. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I still tent camp, mainly with the scouts.

Adina*Moo likes this.
  4. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    Nothing like that for us. I still tent camp (when I'm alone, or kayaking especially). Mama just wanted more amenities and I'm OK with that as long as she's camping with me.

Adina*Moo, jnc and kcsa75 like this.
  5. myride

myride Well-Known Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    Setting up a two room tent with the wife BEFORE fiberglass poles....lol
    I'm sure those numbered aluminum poles cost more than one marriage.

6. Lanternman

Lanternman Active Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Mooresville NC
    The day we tent camped and got rained on for the third time in a row and my girlfriend said, "I'm done F@$*^%# camping!"
    She was never a big camper, I was- always tent camped (and still do on solo trips) heck I used to take off on my old Harley with a tarp, blanket, and a couple bungee cords, tie em off on the bike and use my change of clothes for a pillow (yeah those days are over!) I finally convinced her to tent camp, and all three times we got rained on and the tent leaked, so I bought a cheap, well used Jayco pup, just to see if she'd even go with me. She loved it, but not the condition of the pup, so I upgraded to a beautiful, barely used 95 Starcraft 817 and she is in love!
    ......as long as theres a flush toilet and a shower on site [LOL]

Adina*Moo and Orchid like this.
  7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I still tent camp occasionally as well, but i did get tired of tent camping in bad weather. I was sick and tired of waking up to rivers flowing under the tent, waterfalls coming into the tent, wet clothes, and wet sleeping bags. I was tired waking up very cold and numb despite wearing multiple layers and the so called zero degree sleeping bag. I however still want to camp and see different places, but kind of hard to do if you were stuck camping only in the heat of the summer. when my parents decided to upgrade to a TT they gave me our old childhood popup and I saw my opportunity. However it was as bear bones as they come and the canvas took a whole day to dry if it was wet and you had to be extremely careful about not have anything touch the canvas if it was raining. however I was finally able to extend my camping a bit although still had to watch the weather closely unless I wanted to sit around the whole day in the storage lot watching canvas dry. It took my mom going down due to the heat and the lift system breaking to really push me into something more than just a tent on wheels. Still got me a popup but has all the features of a TT so finally able to really stretch my legs. I still do enjoy tent camping, and unless my body tells me otherwise will still do so. Just going to add a comfortable air mattress vrs sleeping on the hard ground now.

8. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

May 29, 2013
    Back in my tent camping days we never had cots or mats under us, just sleeping bags. Dang hard on the back. I saw my father pull up the driveway in his 70's Mercury with a Starcraft behind him and thought I was seeing things. It was like the arrival of a new passenger ship. Nothing like having a nice, soft bed to sleep on.

9. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The wife and I had a runabout before kids. We'd be on the water 3 weekends a month with one or two of those tent camping from April to October. Kids came and the trips became less frequent, and the trips we made turned to less time boating and more time hiking/playground/beaching. The time spent boating was more of a chore than relaxing. The last trip out for the year it rained and we hardly had any time on the water, but still had a great time around the campground. On the trip home we decided it was time to sell the boat. Sold the boat and used the money to buy the pup.

Adina*Moo and Redbird234 like this.
  10. Toolmaker13

Toolmaker13 Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Zippers.....I hate them!!!!

pilgrim likes this.
  11. Lumbergodd

Lumbergodd Member

May 20, 2016
    The official breaking point was when my wife had the 1st of her 2 knee replacement surgeries. It had been getting harder and harder for both of us to get up off of the ground in the morning and that just sealed the deal. I had wanted a pop-up for a long time (my folks had one back in the 70's and 80's) but we just loved the idea of tent camping and didn't want to give up the romance of the whole thing. We bought the smallest, simplest pop-up we could find. I took out the stove, furnace, and sink and tried to come up with as simple a trailer as I could. It still feels like sleeping in a tent, just with a much nicer bed.

12. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Can't really say we were "driven" by any one event. It was more a progression of physical aches and pains as we aged. I have bad knees and DW has a hip issue, as well as problems with her feet. We have a large tent and queen sized, double high, air mattress. Tent set up was comfortable but we felt it was time to investigate a PUP option. Made the leap last Fall and are looking forward to our first outing with our "Vacation Home" :smiley:

Orchid likes this.
  13. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Active Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    A failed attempt at tent camping with my better half and our 2 labs, that resulted in both dogs (80lbs each) and my DW on a twin size air mattress. The dogs were constantly on edge all night, and couldn't get relaxed enough to sleep. It made for a couple of long nights! Started looking at pups when we got home. First looked at new, then realized it was never going to be worth the cost. Found our 96 rockwood on Craigslist a week later for $600....

Adina*Moo likes this.
  14. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    Same here as a few have said, it wasn't any one thing for us, but a progression towards a Pup. Older age (I'm not 25 anymore) with aching muscles and joints made it tough to get up off of hands and knees in the morning. Work scheduling holidays, or lack there of combined with the weather man was a big factor. For years, about 20 yrs, I was only allowed 1 week holidays per summer + the weekend on the end of it = 9 days. So you go and set up the tent, and it rains on and off throughout the whole week. Out of the 9 days, 5-6 of them are rain. Sitting in the tent while it pours rain outside, cold and miserable, trying to drink an ice cold beer when you are already freezing, not my idea of fun. Then you get a nice beach day or campfire day, then tomorrow its back to rain. It seemed this was an ongoing theme year after year after year. I really started to question what I thought was fun about camping. What was my attraction to it? I had been grumbling about getting a Pup for a number of years, and finally my wife suggested that we seriously look into getting one. I thought about renting one just to try it, but that totally grossed my wife out. She didn't want to be in one where a bunch of partying teenagers could've been doing who knows what on those beds. Yes we bought a used one, but we got it from an older couple that only used it once a summer for 3 summers. It was never lent out and was always stored indoors. It was basically brand new when we got it. We've never looked back (we also go for 3 weeks at a time now, Score!)

Adina*Moo likes this.
  15. Limmer

Limmer Member

Mar 12, 2018
    For us it is strictly a matter of time. We go out about 5-6 weekends and one full week a year. We were cutting down on weekends because it just didn't feel "worth it" to set up and tear down for 2 nights. Set up is fairly quick (to us) at about and hour and a half but tear down to my hubbys specifications was about 3 hours. Add it travel time and it stopped being as fun to get away for the weekend.
    We went with a friend last year who had just got a pup and they decided to leave a little early due to rain and packed up within 30 mins. We were sold after watching that.

Pommom70 and Adina*Moo like this.
  16. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Jun 14, 2014
    For us, it was a matter of stuff and packing. We had three kids and their assorted stuff. Packed the minivan and also one of the those cargo carriers on the back and could still barely fit all the stuff in the van. Occasional weather issues with kids under 6. Went camper shopping at the show, mentioned I was looking to some folks at work and coworker says he is looking to sell his. Bought a very well cared for used camper from him and it has worked out great. It is awesome having everything packed and in the camper, just need to pack food and clothing duffles and off to the races. We have taken it all over the US on 2-3 week trips and will head out again in 10 days for Grand Canyon and other SW adventures. We love it.

Adina*Moo likes this.
  17. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We bought our first, tiny, pup in anticipation of a trip to the rain forests of the PNW. We'd had a couple of very wet tent trips to the Glacier NP region and wanted a way to sleep off of the wet ground. (We've yet to get to the PNW.)
    We used both the tents and the pup for a while, until the original canvas disintegrated on the pup. After looking at the pup sitting in the driveway for a couple of years or so, we finally decided we needed to get rid of it, or fix it. We did a renovation on it in 2010, and used it for two full seasons. That pup was really not much more than a tent on wheels, except for the inside stove - no lights, no furnace, useless sink, which we removed. It didn't save much on packing, since it was so small, but we found out we liked being off the ground.
    After two seasons of two not-so-small folks and supplies in a 6' box, we up-sized to an 8' Coleman Cobalt - lights and furnace! That extended our season by quite a bit over the tents. We'd probably still be in the Cobalt now, if my no-longer-young back and joints had cooperated longer. BTW, Courtenay still gets tent-time, since he does a couple of backpack trips a year, while I base camp.

18. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    None, but the mention of AC for the frequent 100+ days of Texas summers was enough for my wife.

Orchid likes this.
  19. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    [LOL][LOL][LOL]

20. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

Jul 3, 2008
    Iowa
    Our decision came when we decided to spend a week in Yellowstone. My wife who is bear phobic thought the pup would supply a minimum of protection from being devoured in her sleep.

bluegrassfan76 likes this.