What final tent-camping event drove you into a pop-up?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Dback2k4, May 2, 2018.

1. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    For us it wasn't a tent. It was when we decided to go for a snow trip in our popup TC. It's a great rig, but built for 2. One bed, one dinette, and the dog takes up exactly half of the floor. Four people and a dog can live out of it just fine and it really does go anywhere but you don't want to hang out in it.

So it turns out the sun goes down really early in the winter. You can get tired of your family really fast when you can't not touch them.

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  2. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Active Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Houghton MI
    Like you Dingit, we have a small camper which is super easy to warm up in cool temps. We'll be bringing our MrBuddy heater from now on! But if the weather is wet, then you must try living within that small area. We try camping only when the forecast is conducive for outdoor stuff.

3. bluegrassfan76

bluegrassfan76 New Member

Mar 28, 2016
    east-central Illinois
    For my wife and me it was the constantly leaking air mattresses. I don't know how many air mattresses of ours and the boys would start leaking after just a handful of uses. We finally got mad and spent quite a bit of money and purchased a nice fairly expensive super thick queen size air mattress to use on one vacation. We slept on it a few nights and then the next time we went to use it on our next trip it leaked like a sieve. That was the last straw. Started looking for an affordable camper shortly after and ended up with our 2011 Rockwood Freedom.

shuang2 and Orchid like this.
  4. DJFav

DJFav Member

Sep 25, 2018
    We hadn't tent camped in quite a few years and planned on tenting 3 out of our seven week long trip in 2019, so we purchased an 8-man (so they call it) tent. Needed to upgrade as I was NOT going to crawl in and out of our current tent anymore. We also purchased a new rooftop carrier for the tent to travel in, which we needed as we also have bikes and a 2-man kayak. (Apx cost $800+ for tent and carrier.)

Once the new tent arrived, we took grandkids tenting for a weekend. Not only we're we super cramped in this nice new tent, but old air mattress leaked. Ground has become much harder since our last tent outing. LOL
    Additionally, temps dropped to low 50s even tho late August. Well, I froze my buns off (not literally...I wish it was that easy). The very next weekend, we purchased a new PUP.

We are in PUP heaven! So for the past month we have talked of little else than our new baby!
    Have driveway camped as well as CG. I have read nearly every post on this portal! Being only the end of September and already winterized the pipes, we are already feeling PUP withdrawal!!

5. DJFav

DJFav Member

Sep 25, 2018
    If I may add to my previous post...
    We watched a couple across from us pop up their PUP in 5 minutes (took longer to set up their EZ Up canapy!! I was sold! Lol

Orchid likes this.
  6. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Iowa
    That's an impressive setup time for any PUP... I think my record is about 10 in pouring down rain, and that's only the bare essentials!!!

DJFav likes this.
  7. DJFav

DJFav Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Okay, it seemed like only 5 minutes "watching". LOL Beat our tent setup time (45 minutes). I was sold!!

8. Andy G.

Andy G. New Member

Sep 2, 2017
    WI
    Nothing really drove us into a pup. I used to tent camp as a kid in cub scouts, then later in college. After I got married, I wanted to continue tent camping, but my wife wanted NO part of it. Then, last year, she spotted a pup on a local sales board, and she knew I was looking for a project. To my great surprise, she said that if we got it and I fixed it up, she'd consider camping in it. Well, we bought it, I did some repairs and restoration, and now the family loves it. I have to admit it sure beats sleeping on the ground.

Nani2 likes this.
  9. The Bob

The Bob Member

May 13, 2017
    Upstate New York
    I was a Boy Scout and camped a lot. Always loved it and understood getting wet was sometimes part of the deal.

When my kids were young, I took them and my wife on a camping trip where the weather was just horrible. I could never get them to go again, so I didn't camp for a very long time. We're empty nesters, now, and my wife was willing to try it again, but not in a tent.

I picked up a used pop-up and now we take our camper and kayaks to state parks with lakes a couple times each summer and really enjoy it. It's great being a couple feet off the ground when it's pouring rain.

Andy G. and Nani2 like this.
  10. FAMILYRIG

FAMILYRIG New Member

Aug 7, 2018
    Our story is a little backwards compared to most... The wife and I started with a 1984 Coleman tent trailer, sold to buy a Boler, then bought a Winnebago 26ft motorhome, then a 1965 Airstream, then our current Jayco Bunk House. We keep the Bunk House for summer long trips to the lake but wanted something smaller & back to basics that we could fit in most campgrounds. We purchased our tent trailer 2 months ago and have used it 3 times with 3 more trips planned for November. Couldn't be happier! Miss the storage but the simplicity and towing ease makes all the difference. Even my Sienna can tow it!

Orchid and Andy G. like this.
  11. brainpause

brainpause New Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Nashville, TN
    Sounds pretty familiar. Hope the ex lets me take them camping. They've been asking.

12. brainpause

brainpause New Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Nashville, TN
    When I was a baby, my parents tent-camped, but I barely remember it. We soon got a popup that had NOTHING on the inside. It was a box with beds on each end. Boy, you could pack a lot in that thing, since there was nothing in the way!

My parents sold it and got a used Coleman Brandywine, not sure of year model, but probably mid to late 70's. It had to be top of the line for the time. It had a cooler, stove, sink, and onboard water tank!

After graduate school, I tent camped and just had trouble sleeping, but probably because I was a night-shifter at the hospital.

I bought a small travel trailer, but only used it once or twice because I moved to a place where I couldn't store it. I sold it, or basically gave it away to an older couple who never paid me the rest of the balance.

So, to answer the original question, my ex-wife and I bought a popup on the day of our engagement (unbeknownst to her when we bought it), because she and I and a third female friend went on a tenting/ATV trip. I slept all night in my tent, but she and the friend had trouble with roots and gravel, and other issues. So she wanted to camp, but not in a tent. We found an '86 Palomino Colt that was in great shape, which we ultimately put about 10,000 miles on, before getting a hybrid. Sold the hybrid last year to pay the divorce attorney, but the PUP bug bit me this year.

/end of novel

13. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

That's a sad statement. They're your kids, too. I hope it works out and you and the kids get to make many happy camping memories!

brainpause likes this.
  14. Fred1diver

Fred1diver Member

Sep 11, 2018
    for me, it was when I was planning our trip to les Escoumins, I went there a lot of times with a tent, but this time I was planning to go there in october, and I knew it was going to be cold, it was a 2 couple long weekend and I didn't want anyone to complain about the weather being cold, so I found a good deal on a used but good condition pup. now I'm hooked, always stayed away from campers but what can I say, I like the comfort

15. AlohaPup

AlohaPup New Member

Apr 18, 2016
    HI>CA>CO>TX
    We have a backwards story, too. We had 3 RV's before I had the "great idea" to give tent camping a try.
    Bought a nice big tent for the 4 of us and all the gear.
    After 2 times, I had enough.
    The endless amount of gear was what did it for me.
    1/2 hour before I found this thread, I put my tent on Craigslist.

16. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    I still tent camp with the scouts. Got a PUP mostly for convenience. During camping season the PUP is mostly stocked with none perishables and fully stocked with everything we need for cooking and sleeping. For a weekend getaway I lift the roof just enough to open the door, crawl in and close the fridge the day or two before and turn it on. It's really quick to pack fridge, throw in clothes and cooler of drinks, and hit the road. The last time we tent camped as a family after loading everything everyone "needed" the entire bed of my F-150 was full to the point the tonneau being lifted a bit in places.