What food item(s) do you always bring, and why?

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by matwiyj, Apr 28, 2016.

1. matwiyj

matwiyj Active Member

May 17, 2011
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Do you have a regular camping food item you always bring with you?

I always bring farmer sausages. They come in a pack of 6 large hot-dog sized sausages that are shrink-wrapped and freeze well. They are versatile and can be eaten in a bun or on a plate, and cooked on a fire or barbecue. If frozen they contribute to keeping the cooler cold and if they thaw they will not leak into the other food. I don't have to plan when they will be eaten and if we end up not using them they go in the fridge at home and are used in the next few days after the trip. And we all love them!

Another regular is sandwich meat and cheese for the pie-irons. Nothing better than a grilled cheese over the fire!

If we have A/C I bring some yogurt and frozen strawberries. I have a "Magic Bullet" in the kitchen box and it makes great smoothies. Healthy and the kids love them, especially on a hot day! Oh, and those smoothies are pretty good with dark rum as well :)

retiredmikey and tls2971 like this.
  2. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2013
    Beer

Self explanitory

3. CalKat

CalKat Member

Jun 15, 2011
    Washington state
    I make these fabulous muffins and breakfast burritos before we go and freeze them. The morning goes like this: start the coffee, maybe start a fire if its chilly, slowly heat foil wrapped burritos in cast iron fry pan (dry) with cover. Drink coffee, eat muffin and burritos once they are warm. One of my favorite rituals when camping, and breakfast is so easy with only the coffee press and mugs to clean up. Onward to the day's adventures!

tls2971 likes this.
  4. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

Mar 5, 2006
    Tacoma WA.
    Rib Eye steaks, chicken wings, Pancake mix, corn on the cob. Of course bacon and eggs and sausage for biscuits and gravy. Why we like good food. [:D]

retiredmikey likes this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    This is almost a given but...marshmallow, chocolate, and gramcracker. Also peanut butter (Emergancy use or trail sandwich). Had those very bad days when the fire won't light and propane also refused to light. Peanut butter came to the rescue. Hotdogs is also a regular, but that is also a semi Emergancy food for me. Don't normally eat these unless something goes wrong or need something super quick that's not a sandwich. Sandwich cheese/cheese stick, carrot sticks, trailmix, apples. These are just my regulars I switch up my dinner/breakfast menu every trip. Lunch is usually a sandwich I can keep in my backpack. As I am almost always on the trail or on the water for hours. So usually only things that don't go bad if not refrigerated. Fresh water from home is a given as well. (I don't drink soda's or alcohol and don't like the taste of campground water.)

6. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Coffee. For me, it is a major food group. :)

7. JRnTrixie

JRnTrixie New Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Beer, and coffee are always on the top of our list. If we're not at a state park we make sure to bring a lot of water too. Enough to leave for drinking and some for making a pitcher of lemonade or iced tea. Eggs are a staple for at least the first morning, nothing tastes better than eggs cooked at the campfire! We also bring hot dogs but experiment with toppings every time. Last year was cream cheese, caramelized onions, and jalapenos. May sound gross but OMG they were amazing! Burgers, like the dogs, are a staple but we like to try different toppings, cheeses, and seasonings. Munchies like chips, crackers, and my new regular for this year is Skinny Pop dusted with dark chocolate.

8. ItsaMeScott

ItsaMeScott New Member

Mar 10, 2016
    With kids you have to have hot dogs and marshmallows.

For the adults, the 3 Bs. Burgers, Brats and Bacon (and eggs). Anything else is playing a supporting role.

9. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    Second on the beer and coffee. When we go for the weekend, after a couple beers I've totally forgotten about work and life in the city.
    Saturday night is always steak night with baked potatoes and salad. And just for good measure, I like to throw in a pack of Earl Campbell's Hot Links. DW won't touch em, but they go great with beer or two sometime during the weekend. [:)C]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  10. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    standard food - steaks (different for each trip), chicken breasts, ground beef, avocados, apples, THICK bacon, eggs, blueberries for pancakes, maple syrup, aspargus, sweet potatoes, coffee, beer, hard alcohol drinks.

we rarely change but no big deal if we got different food for a change.

Az Brittany Guy likes this.
  11. hrhchuck235

hrhchuck235 Member

Mar 26, 2014
    We always do long distance camping and so for the first night when we're both whipped and tired, we always bring a Bertolli skillet meal and some frozen green beans. These are ready in less than 15 minutes and require no brain cells whatsoever to fire. Wine to go with.

Breakfasts alternate between steel cut oatmeal with apples and nuts added and made with apple juice on some mornings and then bacon and flapjacks (Kodiak cakes) with real maple syrup from NYS on other mornings. Coffee of course, Tim Horton's from Canada (thank you Tim). We bring these because my DH LOVES a nice campground breakfast. I can easily survive on yogurt and granola, but these two items are NOT on his menu.

Lunches are pb and j some days, soup other days, packaged salads for convenience sometimes. Nuts and fruit as well.

Dinners as often as possible are pre-made frozen chili, tortilla soup, beef stew and then, if I'm lucky - freshly caught trout with lemon and butter and cous cous or rice. We depend on these made-ahead meals since no way do I want to leave my campsite to drive anywhere to buy food and plus we rarely camp anywhere near a store that might have something we'd be willing to eat. Nor would there be a restaurant. Not never, but rarely.

12. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    BACON!!!!.... and sausage for breakfast. Usually sandwiched or hotdogs at lunch and chicken or steak for dinner. Oh, and lets not forget the Farmer John Louisiana hot links for my late night snack over the camp fire and the s'mores for the kids.

Heartman, how do you heat up your chicken wings? I've tried wrapping them in foil but they are just too soggy for me [V]

13. dougdrees

dougdrees New Member

Jul 12, 2014
    One of our favorites is corned beef hash for breakfast. DW cooks the potatoes and onions ahead of time and mixes them together with the corned beef in Tupperware before we leave. I do the cooking. Yum. When our kids were younger, we also had Dinty Moore beef stew for one night. They loved it and it was an easy meal. For the campfire, we bring Pillsbury rolls in the tubes and cook them on a hot dog fork over the fire. When they are done, we dip them in melted butter and cover with cinnamon sugar. Yum again.

14. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

Mar 5, 2006
    Tacoma WA.
    We fry them up fresh keep them warm in the oven.

[​IMG]

15. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

Jan 23, 2011

16. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Instant noodle, eggs, bread, tomato, yam, rice & many kinds of vegetable...etc, whatever we have in the home refrigerator. We try to eat at campsite same as at home.

AZbubs and Haybale like this.
  17. tzmartin

tzmartin Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Our favorite thing is the frozen mini eclairs. The stay cold a long time in the cooler and the plastic container keeps the dry.

18. BushwickBill

BushwickBill Member

Jul 15, 2013
    we are very predictable breakfast is bacon and eggs ,lunch ham or turkey and cheese sandwiches with chips, dinner cheese burgers and beans. I have been adding some new stuff like pancakes ,bratwurst and are new always bring item is the stuff for dutch oven peach cobbler my daughter niece and nephew love. over the winter I got a coleman camp oven that I've only used once in the backyard so far but I think biscuits and gravy might be on the list now to. I am now hungry and want to go camping hope it quits snowing soon.

AZbubs likes this.
  19. cdn_tbird

cdn_tbird Member

Jun 7, 2013
    We always take some combination of homemade burgers, chicken thighs & breasts, sausages, steaks. We'll season/marinate & vacuum pack the meat and then freeze it. Of course the one thing that always makes it into the cooler even though the wife hates it is a pack of hot dogs, because quite frankly it isn't camping without at least one meal of franks & beans. :)

retiredmikey likes this.
  20. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Depending on the trip this is basically what we will bring:

Breakfast (this is mostly breakfast stuff):
    Milk
    Eggs
    Bread
    Cheese
    Bacon, bacon and more bacon
    Pork Roll (It's a Jersey thing)
    English muffins for egg sandwiches

Lunch:
    Hot dogs/buns
    Kraft Mac N Cheese
    At times we will eat out for lunch depending where we are

Dinner is always different. We try to have different things for dinners each trip.