What has been your favorite place to camp at?

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by MsMac, Oct 6, 2018.

1. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    And why?

I've been thinking about this for a couple of days. Earlier in the week, my partner mentioned that his favorite place that we camped at was Ocean City State Park on the Washington shore.

My initial reaction was to look at him like he had two heads- and then he explained why.

It's rare in that area to find a place that has beach access where the sites aren't on top of each other. Admittedly, we paid for a "premium site", but after he was able to position the pop up so it was broadside (parallel to the roadway) and with the truck parked, we had just about complete privacy and still have a big site. The beach is about a half mile walk from the campground, over dunes, which made it just about a perfect distance for him.

Considering all of the other places we've been, I'm still somewhat surprised that this is his favorite, but that's what makes horse racing. :D

For me, it's a close race, but I think that my favorite has been Lava Beds National Monument in northern California. It was sheer happenstance that we ended up there. We had a couple of days to kill in the area and looked at the map. "That looks like a cool place to check out". So we did.

The price can't really be beat ($10/day, $5 with the Interagency Senior Pass). There's not much privacy with the sites, but the views are really nice.

DSCN3288.JPG

For me though, nothing can beat the history (both natural and man-made) of this area.

There are beautiful (at least in my eyes) lava fields above ground.

DSCN3339.JPG

And over 20 lava tubes below.

DSCN3429.JPG

I had been into other types of caves before, but never lava tubes. And never "self-guided". The tube in the photo above was quite creepy to me, but it was fun being able to take our time and use a camera with flash with impunity. [:D] (Which, of course, I wouldn't suggest if there are others around. When we went, at the end of September, there were very few others exploring the tubes.)

----

So, what's been your favorite place, and why?

Attached Files:

hughest likes this.
  2. pudge

pudge Active Member

Oct 12, 2008
    On the Road Full Time
    We love Assateague Island National Seashore in Berlin, MD. Wild horse roam the island and walk though the sites

hughest likes this.
  3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I don't think many people are willing to reveal their favorite spots. :wink: With the popularity of RVs now, and lots of non-campers buying them, all the good places are getting too crowded.

Rik Peery and kcsa75 like this.
  4. Redbird234

Redbird234 Member

May 27, 2018
    GTA
    Fundy National Park in New Brunswick. The scenery is to die for beautiful, the sites are big, there are several award winning playgrounds, great programs, amazing hikes. You could easily spend a week and feel like you didn't spend enough time to see it all.

Attached Files:

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    There is always something that makes a campground my favorite so I really can't just list one. As it depends on what I plan to do, whom I'm with, etc. If I'm with my mom or little side kick both of whom are glampers, I really like a private campground in Gettysburg, PA. It's a resort style with lots and lots of things to do with kids. A good number of sites with full hookups and many different types of sites both private and where the action is. Just on my list is Elkmont campground in the smokey mountains. My site was very private even though I had no electric or water it was just perfect for me. The rest of my family would be going bonkers about how bord they are so not so perfect if they came with me. If I'm looking to kayak I had a tie between a small private campground on the bay side of Virginia Beach with my site right on the water also really like Lake Jordan in North carolina with a site also on the water. Where in perhaps a little over 10 feet I'm on the water. Though no electric hookups at either site where I like to stay. Both campgrounds do have hookups further from the water but it's the sites on the water I really love. Makes kayaking very easy and convenient.

6. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    I have one favorite that I don't name. I love it because:

it is about a mile off a state highway in the sierras but there is no traffic or noise. The are are only about 40 sites in three loops - one is tent only (about half the total sites). My favorite site has a perfect view of the deep spot in the creek. In the morning I can sit on my step drinking hot cocoa and watching the fish jumping. It caters to couples and solos for the most part. There are no motor boats or jet skis, etc. There are trails for everyone. It is only open seasonally.

In winter, my favorite campground is in the foothills. It has tent sites, full hookup sites, electric only, and no hookups. I get a spot in a small loop (no hookups) with only 3 other sites. My site looks out right over the lake. Lots of wildlife. In winter, most folks are in the hookup loops so I have the sense of being alone. Trails abound.

What makes a great campground for me? Scenic views, privacy between sites, cool temps (or at least not hot), wildlife, lack of partyers, lack of crowds, and dogs allowed on the trails.

7. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    My interest in asking the question was more about the "why" than the actual name of the spot. So, yeah, people can answer generally or not at all. No skin off my back.

8. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    Thanks all for your replies. I like hearing the different things that people love about certain camping spots. :grin:

9. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I wasn't trying to be rude, just trying to speculate why there hadn't been much response as of that time.

My favorite camping spot is at the beach.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Rik Peery likes this.
  10. Overland

Overland Active Member

May 1, 2013
    Bristol, Pa
    My favorites are the one's I'v not yet visited.. I have seen pics of a few in others trip reports. I have many that i'v enjoyed and would return to given the opportunity.

Natureangel likes this.
  11. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    I didn't think you were, and I should probably have been more explicit in my OP.

Though, it's funny, with that state park that my partner likes so much. I took a look on here for it after I made the reservations, and was honestly a little scared going in after reading the reviews of it. Obviously, our experience was vastly different that the others', but I have to say, I probably would not have made the reservations had I read the reviews here first.

That said, I don't post much specifically about the places that we go most frequently, other than that they are on the east side of the Cascade mountains. Especially in the case of the more off the beaten path, FCFS campgrounds, people can find them easily themselves, I don't have to lead them there. :D

I have less of an issue with naming state parks or national park CGs, as they are really not much of a secret.

All that said, I totally respect what others choose to do, in terms of naming or not. :smiley:

Overland and Orchid like this.
  12. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    7E515A25-1C39-4465-936C-555815ECBC85.jpeg Always drawn back to this site. It’s got everything we want. Great fishing, view and the next closest spot is at least 5 miles away.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    woodentoy, Overland, hq308 and 3 others like this.
  13. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Active Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Houghton MI
    Hope you got your dogs on a lead! (I'm of course kidding) We might be to Sheridan seeing friends around thanks giving. Thanks for posting photos.

14. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Yes. Another plus for that spot. No leashes.

15. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    100_2404[1].jpg

Overland, Orchid and gladecreekwy like this.
  16. pudge

pudge Active Member

Oct 12, 2008
    On the Road Full Time
    Horseneck in Westport, MA or Assateague in MD

Rik Peery likes this.
  17. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    That's a hard question to answer. Mostly we like camping away from major attractions. Camping is a place to get away from the crowds and hustle of everyday life. Can hardly wait until retirement so we can get away more.

jmkay1 likes this.
  18. pudge

pudge Active Member

Oct 12, 2008
    On the Road Full Time
    I like being away from things but...that also means things (help) is away from you. While we don't have major health concerns I have broken a leg (Tibial Plateau FX for the medically inclined) at a campground. Rule of combat #11 - when the enemy is in range...so are you!

19. pudge

pudge Active Member

Oct 12, 2008
    On the Road Full Time
    Decision Points

When we were weekend campers and camping with different clubs our goal was to go to as many different places as we could. There never seemed to be one place we liked enough to go back to all the time – and probably the reason we never became seasonal campers. I usually was the wagon master for the first trip of the year for one club (Fold & Go) and my rule of thumb was that we would not do the ‘ice breaker’ at the same place for more than two consecutive years. Well, now that we are full-timing it the same theory seems to be applying. While we are booked to return to Greenbrier next year the return is based on the fact that we haven’t fully explored the area; so hopefully, the two month stint next year will cure that.
    Host camping is not a necessity for us. When we decide to host camp we look for a place where we want to spend some time exploring. Most state and federal campgrounds have stay limits, typically two weeks, and we know – actually guess – that we will need more time than that in some areas. We could shift campgrounds when we hit the stay limit or we could spend the time at a commercial campground and hopefully not have to site hop. What host camping does is allow us to stay in one site for the duration of our visit. The side benefit is that it also gives us the cash to hit more of the ‘touristy’ places.
    As we are finding out the longer you stay somewhere the more you learn about the area and that leads to more things to see. Once you hit all the places the area is famous for there is so much more to see - like all the little local attractions and events that don’t get any attention outside of the local community. Sometimes it is these little church or community events that are a big hit.

20. brainpause

brainpause New Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Nashville, TN
    Cloudland Canyon State Park. Remote enough to feel like I'm really camping but close to a lot of stuff to do