What is Going On?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by scubacamper, Jan 12, 2019 at 5:31 PM.

1. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    Okay, I give up, why are all the FL SP packed? Is it the Government Shutdown so the Nat. Parks are either not open or a mess?

Maybe the snowbirds just haven't gone home yet but I wanted to book 3 nights over President's weekend and down here there was NOTHING available...please someone explain to me why?

Thanks

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    some of The parks in the N/W area are closed down until they can get the repairs and clean up completed. Most of the other parks that were not affected, or that did not get the brunt of the hurricane are still open, so it would seem that the open parks are being crowded (full) because the snowbirds have no place to stay they stay in the these parks that are open for business and I would think some are staying longer than usual considering the mess they are having with the weather up north of Fl.and the danger on the highways due to the weather.
    This is my opinion but one that makes sense to me anyway.

scubacamper and kitphantom like this.
  3. MattF350

MattF350 Member

Mar 27, 2018
    Syracuse, NY
    Still only January. Our winter is only beginning. :D
    snowbirds still got all "summer" :p

xxxapache likes this.
  4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Its winter. The snowbirds book a year in advance. To get the days you wanted you should have booked last year

5. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    Snowbird season. Welcome to Florida. ADD to that a large increase in the popularity of RV'ing recently. ADD to that state parks are luxurious, some have been refurbished with improved electric, etc., and an EARLY snowy winter in areas such as Illinois this year.
    Try watching ReserveAmerica every few days, as cancellations occur. I drove up to see, 2 days before New year's in Ocala National Forest, what was going on. N. Forest Campgrounds were OPEN. People may believe they are not though, due to warning messages posted on the website. The national forest site is warning people to NOT make reservations, even though a beautiful CG by Alexander Springs was fully open.
    If you can tolerate near-boondocking such as having to walk a few campsites away to fill a water bottle, no electric, and not much in the way of hot showers, and using the provided bear boxes instead of having food in your PUP, the National Forest sites were ready for your business.